IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

I love the idea of the 2600+ and have ordered one with all extras, the whole idea being that I can use original,physical carts and hopefully buy new released carts(here in the UK) as they are released.

In my mind owning a physical manual is also very important as its all part of the 'experience' of playing the game,I collect cd's and part of the experience of listening is to open the case and read the booklet, there's nothing better than the smell of a new cd booklet lol !

So please Atari consider supplying a nice manual with new games going forward, and make sure they smell nice when you open the game for the first time....

• Like 4

Potential issue.

Perception is reality.

Regardless of text popping up etc, all these review videos are showing boxes and merchandise that do not come with the standard purchase.

I think this is their third big mistake (the first was not allowing SD cards, second was dip switches on a multicart instead of a menu). 

People are going to be frustrated that when they buy it, that they don't receive everything that is in the reviews..no matter how much you warn them.

Edited by donjn
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, donjn said:

Potential issue.

Perception is reality.

Regardless of text popping up etc, all these review videos are showing boxes and merchandise that do not come with the standard purchase.

I think this is their third big mistake (the first was not allowing SD cards, second was dip switches on a multicart instead of a menu). 

People are going to be frustrated that when they buy it, that they don't receive everything that is in the reviews..no matter how much you warn them.

IMO nobody should not lower his standards to align with the most stupid people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, donjn said:

Potential issue.

Perception is reality.

There will be loads of reviews with the retail version of the 2600+ console, standalone accessories and solus games. The press kit was just a bit of fun, mainly it was made to fit it as much of the launch range as possible in a cool box. Press kits with more then the retail version of a pack are ubiquitous in the industry at launch times.

SD Card access on the back of a machine is a talking point I guess.

Dip switches on the cart over a menu, I wouldnt call it a big mistake. Lots of carts back in the day came with dip switches, I think its a nice nod back to those days. I think onscreen menus were only seen in HES multi game carts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Dip switches on the cart over a menu, I wouldnt call it a big mistake. Lots of carts back in the day came with dip switches, I think its a nice nod back to those days. I think onscreen menus were only seen in HES multi game carts.

Gonna have to disagree with you on this point. I am 53, I owned just about everything, even Odyssey 2 etc.
Those games that did have dip switches were so niche, I don’t ever even recall seeing them until someone posted a few on this forum a month ago. This is taking something extremely niche and creating artificial nostalgia from it. The system alone is nostalgia, no need for obscure dip switches that a good portion of your older games (the ones who are nostalgic for it!) will need reading glasses and tweezers to select a game! It boggles my mind, really.. You have something that so SO extremely hardware, dip switches....with a rom dumper that is not FPGA.

Tin foil hat aside I personally think it is artificial nostalgia created because you didn't want to create a menu because if you had a system that could use software menus, it would be easier for people to use roms illegally, etc. And this was an easy way to disguise this obscure nostalgia behind it.

Edited by donjn
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, donjn said:

Gonna have to disagree with you on this point. I am 53, I owned just about everything, even Odyssey 2 etc.
Those games that did have dip switches were so niche, I don’t ever even recall seeing them until someone posted a few on this forum a month ago. This is taking something extremely niche and creating artificial nostalgia from it. The system alone is nostalgia, no need for obscure dip switches that a good portion of your older games (the ones who are nostalgic for it!) will need reading glasses and tweezers to select a game! It boggles my mind, really.. You have something that so SO extremely hardware, dip switches....with a rom dumper that is not FPGA.

Tin foil hat aside I personally think it is artificial nostalgia created because you didn't want to create a menu because if you had a system that could use software menus, it would be easier for people to use roms illegally, etc. And this was an easy way to disguise this obscure nostalgia behind it.

I just didnt think that deeply about it, I asked what was the easiest cost-effecient way of having multigame carts and was offered the dipswitch model, I then had a sample cart made up with dipswitches, I tried thought it was functional and kind of cool, no one I showed it to had an objection, so I just went with it. And here we are.

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Are either of these available to buy? I tried Googling them, but don’t find either of these. Just thought I’d ask.

I dont think they will be available to buy as a commercial item. The marketing department have had some printed up to give away I think. 

I've asked for some high res versions of the artwork, I'll post them here so you can download at your leisure.

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I just didnt think that deeply about it, I asked what was the easiest cost-effecient way of having multigame carts and was offered the dipswitch model, I then had a sample cart made up with dipswitches, I tried thought it was funtional and kind of cool, no one I showed it to had an objection, so I just went with it. And here we are.

I get it, but I really hope an SD card option and/or usb data option becomes available at some point. I have like 80 carts, FYI.

But yes, eye glasses and tweezers to change games, I guess that will be my reality. LOL

Also, I really appreciate the transparency in answering questions on these forums as I know I can be...abrasive with my direct opinions..

I want this thing to be massively successful believe me!

Edited by donjn
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

I have to admit, I'm a little disapointed the new games don't come with manuals although I do understand why they don't.

Well I share the same opinion. It's truly unfortunate! What exactly does the Atari 2600+ represent after all?

The Atari 2600+ aspires to embody the essence of old-school gaming, in stark contrast to the fully digital approaches of contemporary systems (consoles with no drives, no cartridges, or, in the case of cloud gaming, no console at all).

Why do I go through the trouble of acquiring a "new" vintage console with physical media?
Why do I go through the trouble of buying brand new "retro" physical media?

Why do I go through the hassle of retrieving a box from a shelf to play a video game?

Why do I go through the effort of placing the cartridge in the console?

I could just download and play every existing Atari 2600 gameson a buch of devices i already own.
But it's all about reliving the old-school gaming experience.

So, why would I go online to consult a PDF when I could have had the original user manual conveniently at hand directly, like the good old times?

The user manual is not only crucial for understanding and enjoying some Atari 2600 video games, but it's also an integral part of the old-school gaming ritual for me.

Look at Xbox Series X or Playstation 5 physical games: What do they have in common? They lack a manual.

I would be willing to pay up to 5 euros extra per game to have a replica of the original paper manual in the box, but I don't know if that would affect the profitability of the reissued games for the Atari 2600+.

• Like 2

Personally, I'm not someone who has ever played with emulators. I stumbled across this forum very recently after hearing about the 2600+, so I'm actually very new to all of this retro gaming.

I had an Atari VCS in the late seventies/early eighties as a kid. I haven't played any of these games for decades.

I guess I may have a different requirement to many people in this community, but I just love the fact that these consoles only play from cartridges, and I really love the idea of the dip switches for multi-game cartridges. For me, having a menu or SD card access would take it too far away from the original experience. Starting to collect cartridges again, for me, is a big part of the attraction.

I'm not averse to a bit of nostalgia, and it's going to be a great Christmas in my household this year.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, donjn said:

But yes, eye glasses and tweezers to change games, I guess that will be my reality. LOL

If you don't already need eye glasses, you're not going to need eye glasses to see the dip switches.  Nor will you need tweezers.  I feel you are being overly dramatic here.

..Al

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Albert said:

If you don't already need eye glasses, you're not going to need eye glasses to see the dip switches.  Nor will you need tweezers.  I feel you are being overly dramatic here.

..Al

But a huge percentage of us Atari folk already use eyeglasses as we are older. I know I do.
Also I am 6'6" with larger hands, maybe its just a "me" problem lol.