IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

Ah, and I almost forgot, congratulations to the whole Plaion team. The attention to details and quality is not being ignored, and is showing in reviews. Once you make some adjustments in firmware, and maybe add manuals in the carts, it is a 10 out of 10.

Even the switches surface was replicated.  Wow!

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, protomank said:

I saw people complaining about not having the power brick. Well, the whole idea of having a common USB-C format in phones and devices is that they stop sending gazillions of power bricks with each device, and reduce electronic waste A LOT. I'm 100% for it, I use my old phones bricks and can buy others if needed all the time. In time, houses will have USB ports in the wall and that will be a lesser issue. So, for me, not an issue.

Yeah, I agree about this, I already have a ton of chargers, including for USB-C devices.  Heck, I didn't get one with my $1,000+ phone, so I'm completely not shocked that a $130 device doesn't include one.  Having said that, I think it would be a win for Atari to offer a USB-C charger as an add-on for the 2600+.  Could even do a cool Atari-branded charger. 

..Al

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, protomank said:

The complain I have to agree with is the lack of manuals. Several games have some amazing game modes is hard to figure out like Space Invaders, and others like Raiders of the Lost Ark are so complex - you even need a second controller - that it takes days to figure out how to play, and I know that because I had this cart without a manual at the time :D

I agree on that one, it seems weird since so many you need the manual to know how to play, even a cheap foldout instruction sheet would be helpful. Before I suggested print-at-home pdfs for newer manuals to keep costs down and I still think that may be the way to go. As it stands it makes things much more difficult for newer collectors.

• Like 4

I’m so glad to see the good reviews. I’ve been itching to buy a 2600 for a long time and this was the perfect time to jump in. I may end up buying an original VCS once I delve more into homebrew stuff. I’m most excited to play some games with a legit atari paddle controller! None of my efforts at replacement options have felt right playing on pc and Mister. 

3 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

I never had a 7800, but should Pole Position II play on the 2600+ with the CX40+ or would it have needed two buttons.  Because I can seem to do everything except accelerate, which is probably the most important bit. 😄
(I'm not ruling out user error on anything I'm doing right now)

So I tried Pole Position II on my Atari 7800 with an original (1-button) Atari 2600 controller.  It's playable - the one button functions as accelerate.  So it SHOULD work on the 2600+ (as long as you don't want to brake) as-is.  My 2600+ is currently slated to arrive Nov 24... so I can try it out then on the new hardware.

That said, there is a gearshift mechanic in Pole Position II - you shift gears by pushing up or down on the joystick.  If you accidentally shifted to "HI" at the starting line, you won't be able to accelerate normally.

For me, the Game Select Matrix was the best part of the manual. Seeing over 100 variations for Space Invaders, for example, made it feel like I was getting a ton of content when the ability of buy multiple carts at once didn’t exist in our house. 

No shipping e-mail from Atari yet. Not planning to open it until Christmas, but it would still be nice to have in my hands as soon as possible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, protomank said:

Ah, and I almost forgot, congratulations to the whole Plaion team. The attention to details and quality is not being ignored, and is showing in reviews. Once you make some adjustments in firmware, and maybe add manuals in the carts, it is a 10 out of 10.

Even the switches surface was replicated.  Wow!

And let's note the magnificent piece of software that is Stella 6.7

• Like 8

I received mine today, very cute device, really like it.
I'm fine with not having a power brick, I already have way too many USB bricks, so no problem here.

My main issue is really that there is zero documentation about the game and their variants, this seems to assume that everybody has already played all these games and knows them all inside out.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Dbug said:

I received mine today, very cute device, really like it.
I'm fine with not having a power brick, I already have way too many USB bricks, so no problem here.

My main issue is really that there is zero documentation about the game and their variants, this seems to assume that everybody has already played all these games and knows them all inside out.

Do I understand correctly that there are no manuals for the games included? And for the console itself?

2 minutes ago, H.Fraenkel said:

Do I understand correctly that there are no manuals for the games included? And for the console itself?

Yes, and this is yet another argument for a menu system.

Some of these games have over 100 variants. How would anyone know? Unless you are a geek like me who always plays Asteroids on 10 - 1 (for shields) some people might be lost. A menu system would allow you to view the color manual on the screen.

The thing is, they wanted to make the whole process just like in the old days.

But you can NEVER have things exactly like the old days, you can only make things FEEL like the old days.

A menu system with viewable manuals would not take away from the "putting the cartridge into the slot" feeling at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/14/2023 at 4:55 PM, Albert said:

Yes, two-button 7800-compatible controllers work fine (such as the 7800 ProLine joystick and the Euro game pads). 

..Al

Okay, thanks, but I can't play 7800 games that require two buttons with the normal controller? That would be a few, namely:

Ace of Aces
Alien Brigade
Asteroids
Basketbrawl
Choplifter!
Commando
Crack'ed
Dark Chambers
Desert Falcon
Double Dragon
F-18 Hornet
Fatal Run
Ikari Warriors
Jinks
Karateka
Mat Mania Challenge
Midnight Mutants
Motor Psycho
Ninja Golf
One-on-One Basketball
Planet Smashers
Pole Position II
Rampage
RealSports Baseball
Scrapyard Dog
Super Huey UH-IX
Tank Command
Tomcat F-14 Flight Simulator
Water Ski
Xenophobe

Maybe this question has already been answered on the previous 67 pages (crazy!), then I'm sorry I want to know again. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, H.Fraenkel said:

Okay, thanks, but I can't play 7800 games that require two buttons with the normal controller? That would be a few, namely:

Ace of Aces
Alien Brigade
Asteroids
Basketbrawl
Choplifter!
Commando
Crack'ed
Dark Chambers
Desert Falcon
Double Dragon
F-18 Hornet
Fatal Run
Ikari Warriors
Jinks
Karateka
Mat Mania Challenge
Midnight Mutants
Motor Psycho
Ninja Golf
One-on-One Basketball
Planet Smashers
Pole Position II
Rampage
RealSports Baseball
Scrapyard Dog
Super Huey UH-IX
Tank Command
Water Ski
Xenophobe

Maybe this question has already been answered on the previous 67 pages (crazy!), then I'm sorry I want to know again. Thank you!

I believe you would need a 7800 controller as the 2600 controller only has one button.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, H.Fraenkel said:

Ace of Aces
Alien Brigade
Asteroids
Basketbrawl
Choplifter!
Commando
Crack'ed
Dark Chambers
Desert Falcon
Double Dragon
F-18 Hornet
Fatal Run
Ikari Warriors
Jinks
Karateka
Mat Mania Challenge
Midnight Mutants
Motor Psycho
Ninja Golf
One-on-One Basketball
Planet Smashers
Pole Position II
Rampage
RealSports Baseball
Scrapyard Dog
Super Huey UH-IX
Tank Command
Water Ski
Xenophobe

If these games all require a second button, you would need a proper 7800 controller to play them.  This isn't something unique to the 2600+, you'd also need a two-button controller to enjoy these on a regular 7800.

..Al

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ForceInfinity said:

Since many modern TV and monitors have USB ports, would the Atari be able to rely on those TV USB ports for power?

Someone in a review video (cannot remember which, I watched about four in a row) was using their TV to power the 2600+. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Albert said:

Yeah, I agree about this, I already have a ton of chargers, including for USB-C devices.  Heck, I didn't get one with my $1,000+ phone, so I'm completely not shocked that a $130 device doesn't include one.  Having said that, I think it would be a win for Atari to offer a USB-C charger as an add-on for the 2600+.  Could even do a cool Atari-branded charger. 

..Al

My only issue with this is…what do I need to buy? I don’t want to fry my console. 

17 minutes ago, Albert said:

If these games all require a second button, you would need a proper 7800 controller to play them.  This isn't something unique to the 2600+, you'd also need a two-button controller to enjoy these on a regular 7800.

..Al

I'm confused as I'm getting conflicting information from different sources (not just here).  I'm told that Pole Position II works fine on the 7800 with a CX40, therefore should work on the 2600+ ie. can accelerate but not break with one button.  I've tested it on my 2600+ and the CX40+ and it's not accelerating.  Nor can I select tracks properly without using the hardware Game Select (I should be able to select all four using the CX40+).

Also, I consider Star Raiders unplayable - it works but without the keypad the game cannot be played properly unless anyone knows of other ways of controlling it.  (I'm used to playing the 400/800 version).

I'm sure all these will be fixable, but I'm wanting to eliminate my own 'user errors' and/or problems with my carts or the 2600+ v1.00 firmware.

15 minutes ago, THX-1138 said:

I'm confused as I'm getting conflicting information from different sources (not just here).  I'm told that Pole Position II works fine on the 7800 with a CX40, therefore should work on the 2600+ ie. can accelerate but not break with one button.  I've tested it on my 2600+ and the CX40+ and it's not accelerating.  Nor can I select tracks properly without using the hardware Game Select (I should be able to select all four using the CX40+).

Also, I consider Star Raiders unplayable - it works but without the keypad the game cannot be played properly unless anyone knows of other ways of controlling it.  (I'm used to playing the 400/800 version).

I'm sure all these will be fixable, but I'm wanting to eliminate my own 'user errors' and/or problems with my carts or the 2600+ v1.00 firmware.

I remember it being said they are looking at addressing the touchpad issue for a possible update 

Edited by ForceInfinity

57 minutes ago, Albert said:

..Al

Honestly, I consider this a real flaw with the Atari 2600+ as shipped.  When one of your big selling points is the ability to play Atari 7800 games, at the bare minimum your console should ship with a controller that is capable of playing said games.  It's not like a 7800 controller is considered a specialty controller like the paddles or driving controller - it was the basic controller that shipped with the system.  We should have gotten a 2600 joystick and a 7800 pad (I'm figuring it's cheaper than the joystick if they're worried about costs) shipped in the box.

Having said that, I'll be testing out the system with my original 7800 controllers when it arrives.  Got 38 7800 games - the Famous Brands Electronics bundle and a few more - to check out.