IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

10 minutes ago, Albert said:

It is based on the Euro pad, and there are photos of it posted today by @Ben from Plaion in this very thread.  :)

..Al

Yeah, saw it now.

It looks like a 1:1 reproduction of the Euro-Pad, which is - if both retro-feel and quality gaming are to be maintained, the only good/logical choice.

Just now, Giles N said:

It looks like a 1:1 reproduction of the Euro-Pad, which is - if both retro-feel and quality gaming are to be maintained, the only good/logical choice.

I don't have one yet to see how it feels relative to the original Euro pad, but I do have Euro pads here, so I can directly compare them once I do get my hands on one.  Hopefully soon!  :D

..Al

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Albert said:

The 7800 was released in Europe a year later after the US release.  Perhaps by this point they realized the 7800 ProLine controllers sucked and decided to make something that was similar to the NES gamepad and more comfortable use.  Probably less expensive to produce than the ProLine controller as well, and that could very well have been their primary motivating factor.

Not that I'm aware of.

..Al

We had the "ProLine" controllers here in the UK with the 2600Jr.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Albert said:

It is based on the Euro pad, and there are photos of it posted today by @Ben from Plaion

They should also provide something parallel to the 10-in-1 cart, and something parallel to the release of Berzerk and Mr.Run and Jump to get the buzz going around the 7800-system, since Atari is dependent on letting as many as possible get familiar with the best parts of their entire history…(dependent on, like including making modern versions of older IP thats relevant, recognizable and fun to both old and new gamers.)

Edited by Giles N

8 minutes ago, Giles N said:

They should also provide something parallel to the 10-in-1 cart

This, for the simple reason that there aren't nearly as many Atari 7800 cartridges out there in the wild as there are 2600 games.  Make a pack with two 7800 controllers and a 10-in-1 of 7800 games, or something similar.

• Like 1

The same problem with cartridges happened when the Analogue Super NT and Mega SG came out. A lot of carts that would work on original systems needed extra cleaning to work on the new systems. And those Super Nintendo and Genesis carts are many years younger than a lot of the games that will be thrown at the 2600+. 😁

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chemical Burrito said:

This, for the simple reason that there aren't nearly as many Atari 7800 cartridges out there in the wild as there are 2600 games.  Make a pack with two 7800 controllers and a 10-in-1 of 7800 games, or something similar.

Yeah, - and while the 7800 isn’t  as famous as the 2600, it is actually way more powerful (well, as to sound, - at least with pokey-chip), and also saw titles which bridged more naturally the late 8-bit era over into the 16-bit era of Lynx: Scrapyard Dog, Asteroids with extras (both 7800 and Lynx did that). The 7800 was and is much more like the NES and SMS and C64 in power. 

Another thing is that Ataris’ own Motor Psycho now either doesn’t work or is untested. 
They could try to fit it into a collection-cartridge with changes made to the source-code to make it work (on the 2600+ , as one of 10 titles on the collection).

They could perhaps even try to pick up IP for Tank Command and Water Ski, just to cater in a special way to the collector-crowd.(the collectors may been some of the most loyal Atsri-followers out there). They own Centipede. Ninja Golf would be an overlap with the 50th Anniversary, but still a nice looking, fun game. There are things you want to have in the back of your mind if you will do something parallel to the 10-in-1: present some show-off stuff to newer gamers. Please Atari-fans. Please those who’ve been trying to collect for it for some time.

As to doing parallel releases to Berserk and Mr.Run and Jump, they’d need to find something.

Ultra-biased here of course, but releasing the KevinMos3 & mine Scrapyard Dog double hack could parallel Berserk - in my ultra-biased opinion, the Dog Scraps is just way cuter than the looks of original Louie (the reason for it all) and even KevinMos couldn’t really make Louie look very charismatic (even if improving his looks dramatically, like 125%)..

They could go for Sirius and Plutos, get Pokey music in the background and add ending-screen, before the game sets you back to level1 again.

Some ideas thrown out there…

Edited by Giles N

Yeah I got euro pads in the late 90's or early 00's, whenever it was that I heard they existed. Sure the stock stick "works" its just pretty miserable to have to use.

Guess my order was late, no box for me, and I did order on Amazon, no shipping email or anything, so despite the Nov 17 date, that still depends on when you ordered. Guess I'm looking at December then, oh well, there's still plenty of holidays coming up around then too.

6 hours ago, donjn said:

Early negatives

Vertical scrolling isnt as smooth as I hoped. Fantastic Voyage and River Raid dont 100% scroll smoothly but that might be how the game is coded.

River Raid should scroll totally smooth. Anyone else experiencing this?

5 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Could it be a 50/60hz issue?

I used to make demos and games on the Atari ST, designed to smooth scroll at 1vbl in PAL 50hz, but now most emulators or youtube video replays are designed to be at 60hz or more, pretty much never a multiple of 50hz, so depending on how things are replayed, it either changes the speed or inserts or remove frames that did not exist so it often feels choppy now and then.

I know my 2600+ outputs at 60hz, because it's what is shown on my TV OSD when I switch it on, I would not expect any 50hz PAL game to run perfectly, it would either have to run at 60hz to be smooth but then be a tiny bit faster, or to run at 50hz and have the animation twitch every few frames.

13 minutes ago, Dbug said:

Could it be a 50/60hz issue?

I used to make demos and games on the Atari ST, designed to smooth scroll at 1vbl in PAL 50hz, but now most emulators or youtube video replays are designed to be at 60hz or more, pretty much never a multiple of 50hz, so depending on how things are replayed, it either changes the speed or inserts or remove frames that did not exist so it often feels choppy now and then.

I know my 2600+ outputs at 60hz, because it's what is shown on my TV OSD when I switch it on, I would not expect any 50hz PAL game to run perfectly, it would either have to run at 60hz to be smooth but then be a tiny bit faster, or to run at 50hz and have the animation twitch every few frames.

Makes perfect sense. When displaying 50 Hz on a 60 Hz display this seem unavoidable. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

For River Raid (tested both PAL and NTSC) I perceived that the scrool isn't perfectly smooth, but better than with Retron77. With MiSTer is totally smooth.

Also Strategy X (NTSC) doesn't seem smooth, but I've not tested it on MiSTer to compare. With Stella on PC seems perfect.

I've done some tests burning an eprom (for a multicart with dip switches) and while on the real hw (PAL Jr) and on the Retron77 these are working fine, on the 2600+ some are not working. Some examples: HERO, Galaxian, Rock&Rope, Time Pilot. All are market as "working" in the compatibility list.

33 minutes ago, tmop69 said:

For River Raid (tested both PAL and NTSC) I perceived that the scrool isn't perfectly smooth, but better than with Retron77. With MiSTer is totally smooth.

Also Strategy X (NTSC) doesn't seem smooth, but I've not tested it on MiSTer to compare. With Stella on PC seems perfect.

I've done some tests burning an eprom (for a multicart with dip switches) and while on the real hw (PAL Jr) and on the Retron77 these are working fine, on the 2600+ some are not working. Some examples: HERO, Galaxian, Rock&Rope, Time Pilot. All are market as "working" in the compatibility list.

Updated Stella on my high end PC River Raid super smooth too, but its such a slight difference. The 2600+ is a nice machine.

Edited by donjn

32 minutes ago, tmop69 said:

All four games are using standard Atari bankswitching (F8). So from the software side, they should work.

These reports make me a bit worried about the cart connector.