IGNORED

The new Atari 2600+ w/HDMI out and 2600/7800 support

tremoloman2006

Looks like a new 2600 console is upon us:

"Enjoy your favorite Atari 2600 and 7800 games on one system. Not only does the Atari 2600+ pull double cartridge duty, it also features HDMI and widescreen mode for easy connectivity to modern TVs.
Jump right in with the included CX40+ Joystick and a 10-in-1 game cartridge that features some of Atari’s most famous games like Adventure®, Missile Command®, and Yars' Revenge®."

https://atari.com/products/atari-2600-plus

2600+.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The only thing holding me back from pre ordering it  is whether or not this can play homebrews.   it was that very reason, and also paddle support, that held me back from buying the Retron 77.      I  think the price is pretty aggressive,  it's exactly what I've wanted  the 2600 that can also play 7800.      I do have modded 2600 hooked through a retroTink  but it's always in the back of my mind that this is a 40+ year old device and you don't know when it'll quit on you.    If this can play the homebrews then  Take my money  PLEASE!!!!!

• Like 4

From the website:

Featuring a Rockchip 3128 SOC microprocessor with 256MB DDR3 RAM and 256MB eMMC fixed internal storage. Wired CX40+ Joystick with serial port connector.

It's a TV Box chip, so it's emulation, also:This product is only available for shipping in the United States. 

😥

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I assume its just a ROM dumper like the Retron 77 (or similar)...so multi-carts, and fancy homebrews probably won't work.  

Also their CX-40+ joystick only has 1 button, but the compatibility guide shows a few 7800 2-button games "PASS"...so does that mean you can use 2 button 7800 controllers with it...will they make 2 button controllers for it...or does the game "load", but you can't really play it because the ports don't have 2-button support?  Time will tell.  

One thing I find funny too...from the webpage:

"Now you can enjoy both Atari 2600 and 7800 game cartridges on one system. Click. Thud. Smile."

This was already possible with the 7800.

Edited by doubledown
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, doubledown said:

I assume its just a ROM dumper like the Retron 77 (or similar)...so multi-carts, and fancy homebrews probably won't work.  

Yes, looks like that. I think they cheated with the list, since most U games are >4K and do not use Atari's standard bankswitching, e.g.:

• Polaris, Miner 2049er,... (3F)
  • Montezuma's Revenge, 2 x Star-Wars (E0)
  • The Power of He-Man, Burgertime (E7)

From outside, the dumper seems more or less identical with the R77. :sad: 

I hope they got at least the pins right.

• Like 1

As soon as I can order one in Canada, I will definitely order one of everything.  Not because I need a new system but this will give me an HDMI 2600 that allows me to play 7800 and also gives me new paddles to use!  (Sure beats having to open up and cleaning old jitter paddles)

I hope to see this stuff on shelves in Canada and other countries.  This is more of what an Atari Flashback should have been in my eyes.  

Not 100% compatible is fine with me.  I have my old faithful 2600 for those and the homebrews but this one can be on display and hooked up all the time.  Man, I'm excited for this.  lol

• Like 1

Just got this email and was excited that Atari was making this console. 

As others have already said, I have a sizeable homebrew collection so not being able to play those games is most likely a deal breaker for me. 

Still, it's amazing to have this option and if it could be modified like the retron 77 maybe there is hope for future compatibility. 

44 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

Take note... not all games work with it:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0609/3658/5381/files/Atari-2600Plus-Compatibility.pdf

Makes me wonder about all the homebrews... especially the Champ Games.

Since the cart port is effectively a ROM dumper, no carts including an ARM (Harmony, PlusCart, Champ Games...) chip will ever work. These carts cannot be dumped.

• Thanks 3

Much rather have full compatibility. Remember in DS9 where the doctor kept replacing parts of Vedic Bareil's brain? He just wasn't the same. Just seems like they did this one wrong. The hdmi is nice, but that's achievable with a mod and an adapter, whilst maintaining full compatibility. 

For my money, I'd rather buy 4 more homebrews from Albert.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, Thomas Jentzsch said:

BTW: I wonder which emulator they are using. If it is a modified Stella (like in R77), they are obliged to release the modified source code. Else they are violating Stella's license. 

Hmm

That would be some pretty serious exposure on their part. 

3 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Since the cart port is effectively a ROM dumper, no carts including an ARM (Harmony, PlusCart, Champ Games...) chip will ever work. These carts cannot be dumped.

Well that's a bummer but not unexpected I suppose. The homebrew scene is what has kept me engaged with the Atari 2600 so if anyone from Atari is reading this and can work some magic, we would be very grateful. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SuperSamyon said:

Well that's a bummer but not unexpected I suppose. The homebrew scene is what has kept me engaged with the Atari 2600 so if anyone from Atari is reading this and can work some magic, we would be very grateful. 

No magic will fix that, sorry. And since there is not even a SD cart option like the R77 has, there are even more limitations. At the moment this looks like the inferior, little brother of the R77. :( 

Even the chip is not better (and from 2014): 

https://gadgetversus.com/processor/allwinner-h3-vs-rockchip-rk3128/

• Like 3
  • Sad 1