IGNORED

Time Wizard - a game for ABBUC Software Contest 2023

amarok

@DaveMacBlack, thank you very much for your offer. I've just sent you a PM with details about the translation. :)

By the way, I would like to inform everyone that a newer version of level editor for Time Wizard is available on the following link:

https://gitlab.com/amarok8bit/time-wizard-level-editor

List of changes in v1.8 is as follows:

• Added on/off buttons.
  • Added buttons with timer.
  • Added following enemies.
  • Added tw_11_redesign, test3 and test4 levels.
  • Fixed problem with vertical portals in v1.7.

I am waiting for new levels from you! :)

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Recently I had less time for coding, but I managed to prepare the fourth version of WIP demo. :)

The following features have been introduced:

• New kind of field which block manipulation of time. The hero cannot pause or reverse when touches this field. But he can do it again after leaving the restricted area.
  • A surprise action at the end of level. Some levels may have a special action after taking all hourglasses. In the example shown, force fields are activated. By the way, in this level a new color scheme can be seen.
  • Hero's resurrection counter. Sometimes I wonder how often the hero has to be resurrected to complete a level. Now, after completing a level, this information is displayed.
  • Updated title screen and added Deluxe Edition label. I'm not sure if this image will be the final title screen...
  • Czech language with translation prepared by @DaveMacBlack - thanks a lot!

I will also try to provide an updated level editor soon. :)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Once again, I would like to thank you very much for your help in translating the game texts. Your names will be visible in the game:

translations.gif.570c6fde272ee5f170cce877d6865fdc.gif

Attention advertising!

The author of a level will be able to see his/her name while the level is loading. It is worth appearing in the game. :)

author.png.630f91afb0259d243814c6f86a1e607b.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, amarok said:

Out of curiosity, I checked that there were also cassette editions of Amarok. However, I have never seen that.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/405088974225

Have the vinyl too (like all the other creations by Oldfield).
Great interview! Just to mentioned it:

I like the clean appearance and your effort for design/strict styling in your productions a lot (including audio).

It really makes a difference for me (...and is likely a good reason for the 'one developer does it all'- approach).

• Thanks 1

@Irgendwer, I know you are a fan of Mike Oldfield. We have talk about it some time ago. Also, your avatar can be easy recognizable. :)

Many thanks for your good words about my projects. Honestly speaking, music in Time Wizard is one of the weakest point of the game. I am not talking about possibility of playing it in different speed including backwards. I mean that I used only one simple instrument for each channel. The music sounds quite pure comparing to great games which are being created now and in the past. But it is only the background music which shouldn't be the leading actor.

@devwebcl, thanks for your opinion about the game. :) I agree that some levels are difficult, especially 11th which fortunately will be simplified in Deluxe Edition.

As @dhor said, the level editor is the best thing for the project. Currently there are over 50 levels in TW Deluxe Edition and some of them were designed by members of Atari community. There is still possibility to add even more levels :).

Also, if some of you whish to have a translation of the game into his/her language, just write me and I will include it. For now there are: Čeština, Deutsch, English, Español, Français, Italiano and Polski.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since the last demo, so it's about time to show the progress of the game's development.
Intense work continues all the time despite various life and work issues. :)

Version 1.5 of Time Wizard Deluxe Edition includes the following changes (although there are a lot more, but not so noticeable).

• Added 31 new levels including creations from members of AtariOnline.pl and AtariAge.
  • Added showing the level author's name during loading.
  • Added a boss level with brand new game mechanics.
  • Enhancements to the splash, the title and the end screens.
  • Added 5 new transition effects when showing and hiding the board.

New surprising features will appear in the next demo version. Stay tuned :)

• Like 15

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Before I started implementing the game, I prepared documentation for myself, in which I gathered various ideas and information on how to create a platform game, because I had not done it before.

Unfortunately, the document is in Polish, but I'm sharing it anyway since there was a question about the technical matters of the game. Maybe someday I will find time to traslate it into English. Please note that many of the features described in this documentation have not been implemented but there are also undocumented functionalities in the game. At this stage, the title of the game was “Time Crystals”.

The file can be found at the following link, if you have any further question I will try to explain it:

https://gitlab.com/amarok8bit/time-wizard/-/blob/master/doc/TimeCrystals.pdf?ref_type=heads

Edited by amarok
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I have a quick question. Would you be interested in cheat mode in Time Wizard Deluxe Edition? How useful would it be for you, would you use it often?

This mode could, for example, give you the opportunity to play any level (well, maybe except the last one), but without saving your scores and progress in the game.

To play the last level you would have to play the whole game anyway, but importantly in normal mode without cheating.

What do you think about it?

• Like 8