IGNORED

Time Wizard - a game for ABBUC Software Contest 2023

amarok

• 2 weeks later...

There have been a lot of comments from you suggesting the creation of additional levels in Time Wizard.

That's why I've prepared a short survey asking for ratings and comments on the current levels and the game itself.

Any comments from you will help me direct the design of additional levels in the future.

Thank you in advance for your help and your time. The link to the survey is below:
https://forms.gle/2b1FeGDtKxQ96RZv8

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

The Christmas holiday allowed me to prepare a video of the creation of the Time Wizard game.

I went through the entire history from the repository and selected the most characteristic moments of the game's development.
I downloaded the historical floppy disk images from the archive and based on them I recorded short video sequences.
Between them, I placed boards with information about the key changes for a given day.
There is also information on the current number of lines of code and the size of the game.
I also added subtitles in Polish to the video, you can enable or disable them in the player settings.

Enjoy watching :)

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

@amarokwow, your dedication is amazing. Look forward to watching it.

I had a little time over Christmas and had a good play with the game. Love it. 😁 No pressure of course but should it be the case I am very much looking forward to your next game. 

Edit: Just watched the making of vid. Great to see it's dev stages. Thanks for compiling and sharing. :)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, amarok said:

The Christmas holiday allowed me to prepare a video of the creation of the Time Wizard game.

I went through the entire history from the repository and selected the most characteristic moments of the game's development.
I downloaded the historical floppy disk images from the archive and based on them I recorded short video sequences.
Between them, I placed boards with information about the key changes for a given day.
There is also information on the current number of lines of code and the size of the game.
I also added subtitles in Polish to the video, you can enable or disable them in the player settings.

Enjoy watching :)

Fantastic idea for a video!  Can't wait to watch it.

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2024 at 12:54 AM, Beeblebrox said:

I had a little time over Christmas and had a good play with the game. Love it.

You really make me happy :) Thank you very much!

On 1/3/2024 at 12:54 AM, Beeblebrox said:

No pressure of course but should it be the case I am very much looking forward to your next game. 

Me too ;) But first, I would like to consider a physical release of Time Wizard.

On 1/3/2024 at 3:26 AM, Stephen said:

Fantastic idea for a video!

I hope that it will inspire someone to make his/her own game :)

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

I am pleased to announce that I have prepared a level editor for the game Time Wizard. :)

screenshot-1.thumb.png.23b8a15e3d686cac85cb9a1c16f4743c.png

I tried to create a program that is fairly intuitive and convenient to use. The previous one that I used during the development of the game was completely impractical.

This new editor will be used to create additional levels for a game that I plan to release on a cardridge. The work on porting the game to the cartridge is just beginning and I think it may take me a few months. The main challenge will be to rearrange the code in such a way that it will be possible to run the game on a computer with 64kB of RAM.

In the meantime, I would like to prepare additional levels so that the boxed version of the game will be enriched with them. If any of you would like to play around and try to create a level then I would be happy to consider including it in the game. In such a situation, I would put information about the author of the level in the game if there was such a wish. I stipulate that not every proposed level will be included. It is also possible that I will want to make some adjustments.

Back to the editor - this is an early version of the program and I am not sure if it will work on systems other than Windows 11, which I have. If there is such a request, I may consider preparing a Linux version as well, e.g. Ubuntu. It should be fairly easy, only I would have to install such a system on my computer.

I wrote the editor in Python and used the PyQt6 library under the GPL v3 license. Therefore, this is also the license of the entire level editor. The link to the source codes and the program with sample levels is below.

https://gitlab.com/amarok8bit/time-wizard-level-editor

In the meantime, I can prepare a short instruction for the editor to make it easier to use. However, I know that many people like to explore on their own and do not particularly like to read instructions.

If you have any questions, I am ready to help. :)

Also, I am attaching the exe file with the editor and a zip file containing 15 levels from the Time Wizard game.

time-wizard-level-editor.exe levels.zip

• Like 13
  • Thanks 7

6 hours ago, amarok said:

I am pleased to announce that I have prepared a level editor for the game Time Wizard. :)

screenshot-1.thumb.png.23b8a15e3d686cac85cb9a1c16f4743c.png

I tried to create a program that is fairly intuitive and convenient to use. The previous one that I used during the development of the game was completely impractical.

This new editor will be used to create additional levels for a game that I plan to release on a cardridge. The work on porting the game to the cartridge is just beginning and I think it may take me a few months. The main challenge will be to rearrange the code in such a way that it will be possible to run the game on a computer with 64kB of RAM.

In the meantime, I would like to prepare additional levels so that the boxed version of the game will be enriched with them. If any of you would like to play around and try to create a level then I would be happy to consider including it in the game. In such a situation, I would put information about the author of the level in the game if there was such a wish. I stipulate that not every proposed level will be included. It is also possible that I will want to make some adjustments.

Back to the editor - this is an early version of the program and I am not sure if it will work on systems other than Windows 11, which I have. If there is such a request, I may consider preparing a Linux version as well, e.g. Ubuntu. It should be fairly easy, only I would have to install such a system on my computer.

I wrote the editor in Python and used the PyQt6 library under the GPL v3 license. Therefore, this is also the license of the entire level editor. The link to the source codes and the program with sample levels is below.

https://gitlab.com/amarok8bit/time-wizard-level-editor

In the meantime, I can prepare a short instruction for the editor to make it easier to use. However, I know that many people like to explore on their own and do not particularly like to read instructions.

If you have any questions, I am ready to help. :)

Also, I am attaching the exe file with the editor and a zip file containing 15 levels from the Time Wizard game.

time-wizard-level-editor.exe 47.44 MB · 5 downloads levels.zip 13.68 kB · 5 downloads

That's amazing for the community. Thanks, Amarok!

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys for your positive reactions! I am glad that you can see the editor as a useful tool.

For me, it was an opportunity to deepen my knowledge in Python programming, especially the first project using the Qt library.

For the community, maybe it will be a chance to have some fun and unleash someone's creativity, that's my hope :)

• Like 3

I have prepared a newer version of the level editor v1.1. :)

In this version there is a possibility to run the test of level using an Atari emulator. This is available under the pad icon and the option in the Test -> Test the level menu item.

screenshot-2.thumb.png.00a9bd26446260f79ba532c9ae11f740.png

At first, the editor checks if the current level contains errors, and if so, it displays an appropriate message. Otherwise, time_wizard_tester.xex file is created. It is a special version of the Time Wizard game containing the currently edited level. The xex file is saved in the folder of the editor and then the application associated with xex files in the operating system is launched.

In this way, you can instantly test the edited level. :)

time-wizard-level-editor.exe

Edited by amarok
uploaded exe file
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I have prepared a Linux version of the level editor. I compiled and tested it under Ubuntu 22.04.3.

The editor is able to run an application associated with xex file similar as Windows version. In my case it is Atari800 v5.2. As you can see on the following image.

screenshot-4.thumb.png.aa3340e4f568a9353c2392fe077835d7.png

In version 1.2 of the editor, I added a context menu so that you can right-click anywhere on the board and select the type of object to place directly in the desired location. Now adding new objects should be more convenient. :)

screenshot-3.thumb.png.99deef96e8ee8f91b2cc4e320fa6bf04.png

Binaries are available on my gitlab: https://gitlab.com/amarok8bit/time-wizard-level-editor

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Once again, I would like to thank you very much for all the votes in the competition for the best game of 2023. ❤️❤️❤️

I am immensely pleased that you like the game so much. Your feedback is extremely important. It encourages me even more to prepare a cartridge release, as I have already mentioned. :)

6thAnnualAtariHomebrewAwards-Atari8-Bit5200BestHomebrew(Original)-black.thumb.png.9f9dcb1f216eea4e25b9f8a596ab50ec.png

As you can see, Time Wizard is also very happy:

jump.gif.e2ad7428bb31717149bfd9357c76030d.gif

I would also like to congratulate the other finalists of the competition, as their works are amazing.

Also, I would like to thank the organizers of the competition for their initiative and engagement! :)

Edited by amarok
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, amarok said:

Once again, I would like to thank you very much for all the votes in the competition for the best game of 2023. ❤️❤️❤️

I am immensely pleased that you like the game so much. Your feedback is extremely important. It encourages me even more to prepare a cartridge release, as I have already mentioned. :)

6thAnnualAtariHomebrewAwards-Atari8-Bit5200BestHomebrew(Original)-black.thumb.png.9f9dcb1f216eea4e25b9f8a596ab50ec.png

As you can see, Time Wizard is also very happy:

jump.gif.e2ad7428bb31717149bfd9357c76030d.gif

I would also like to congratulate the other finalists of the competition, as their works are amazing.

Also, I would like to thank the organizers of the competition for their initiative and engagement! :)

Congrats, my friend! You also won the FujiCup 2023: https://fujicup.pl/wyniki2023

Cheers!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dear all!

I decided to make the Time Wizard source code repository public. You can review the source codes of the game if you whish.

If anyone had any questions about the source codes, I can try to explain. :)

The project is located there: https://gitlab.com/amarok8bit/time-wizard

Also, I haven't announced here yet but there is an updated version of level editor for Time Wizard.

The list of changes in v1.3 and v1.4 is below:

• modified and simplified gui for states,
  • added support for clipbard operations like Cut, Copy, Paste
  • added support for keyboard operations when object is selected:
    • arrow keys to moves the object in the specified direction
    • Shift + arrow keys to resize the object in the specified direction
    • Delete to remove the selected object
    • Home / End to change the drawing order of the object to the beginning or the end
    • PageUp / PageDown to change the drawing order of the object earlier or later.
  • added Spanish translation, thank you @Yautja
  • binaries for MacOS (previously were for Windows and Linux only)

Level editor is available there: https://gitlab.com/amarok8bit/time-wizard-level-editor/

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

On 2/26/2024 at 4:33 AM, MrFish said:

I'm surprised Space Taxi didn't place higher (especially in the "Jury Voting").

Thank you @MrFish 🙂
I think that my Atari version of Space Taxi is really a very good port but it's a port... if a jury had to evaluate just the difficulties to replicate the C64 game, the effort to convert all levels different logics, the final result compared to the original, etc. maybe the position of Space Taxi could have been better.

The FujiCup had just a single category and they have to judge also original idea, creativity, playability... I accept their vote and I'm absolutely glad of my position and proud to be part of a contest where there were so many excellent programmers, as Amarok, Popmilo, Lars Langhans, Fandal, Miker, Tebe, the Italian Fabrizio Caruso and all others 😎

I take the chanche to congratulate with @amarok for his awesome Time Wizard... you absolutely deserved the 1 prize in ABBUC Software Contest, in FujiCup and in the Atari Homebrew Awards.

💪

Time Wizard is a milestone for all Atarians 😍

Edited by Andreatari
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1