IGNORED

Now that I've been playing Roblox with my kiddo, I know for a fact that the Amico controllers were a terrible idea.

jerseystyle

Holy Crap!  Daughter super into Roblox and, since I'm out of town and she's wrapping up summer, she's been teaching me how to play.  It's fine rolling around to the various games with her (she just mostly does the animal simulators so low stakes) but one thing is crystal clear- using a touch screen as a jump/fire/anything button is the worst!  Same with using the other side of the screen as a joypad.  There is no tactile feedback so your fingers are always slipping, you constantly miss the button press because there isn't any "button" to rest a finger on . . . it sucks.  Finnegan Fox using the screen to jump would be torture.  Any game that had a fire button there would be unplayable in any real context.  No way in hell would "grandma" have the patience to constantly look down at the screen to adjust her thumb.  I now can rest easy knowing that TT was an idiot from day one, now that I've actually experienced touch screen gaming.

Edited by jerseystyle

1 hour ago, Lathe26 said:

Uhm... then don't use the touch screen for jump/fire.  Use the side buttons.

Except in DJC’s playthroughs (and he is the official tester after all) there are multiple times when he’s having to fire/shoot with the screen- you can tell because he has to keep looking down to find the button. Also MC and Tank Battle incorporated button presses into the screen. Just saying that, now that I’ve experienced it, it’s awful. Terrible game design. 

I would agree with you 100%, but... as awkward and awful as they are for me (and you, it seems) I've seen my kids and their friends use those same touch screen controls in Roblox with more accuracy, comfort, and familiarity  than they can use traditional gamepads, joysticks, and buttons.  So there's definitely an audience out there who'd prefer the touch screen thing.

On a different note, anyone started the betting pool on how before the thread is locked or moved?  🤣  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

I would agree with you 100%, but... as awkward and awful as they are for me (and you, it seems) I've seen my kids and their friends use those same touch screen controls in Roblox with more accuracy, comfort, and familiarity  than they can use traditional gamepads, joysticks, and buttons.  So there's definitely an audience out there who'd prefer the touch screen thing.

On a different note, anyone started the betting pool on how before the thread is locked or moved?  🤣  

Yeah that’s fair- my daughter does really well with the touch screen for sure. The only Amico game she had interest in was Cornhole, though :)

6 hours ago, jerseystyle said:

No way in hell would "grandma" have the patience to constantly look down at the screen to adjust her thumb.

As others have said above, young people are more comfortable with touch screens anyway. My 73-old mother still finds hard to use her iPhone, because she's used to press mechanical buttons. She just can't tap on a touch screen; she either touches it to lightly or holds her finger down - which usually hasn't the desired effect.

• Like 1

don’t think combining physical buttons and joysticks with context-appropriate touchscreen controls is the worst idea in the world; I enjoyed Wii U and PS Vita in their time over 10 years ago. 

I think the increased cost and more complex development explains why these platforms didn’t take off. Resources are better spent elsewhere. 

Amico, on the other hand, had 99 other problems and this was just but one of them. 

6 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

As others have said above, young people are more comfortable with touch screens anyway. My 73-old mother still finds hard to use her iPhone, because she's used to press mechanical buttons. She just can't tap on a touch screen; she either touches it to lightly or holds her finger down - which usually hasn't the desired effect.

But a lot of modern games kids play are designed for touchscreen too, and they work fine    I agree with OP that gates designed to use traditional arcade type controls,  up/down/left/right/fire, are terrible on a touch screen because there's no feedback.    I've also seen some PC games designed to use mouse ported directly to mobile, and they don't work so well either (fingers are too fat to replicate the precise mouse positioning)

Hey Folks!

Before they shut down this topic 🤣🤣🤣 does anyone have some reliable update about Amico?

Is it going to see the light one day?

I paid 275 bucks some years ago (to to FIG, if I remember well) and I’m curious to know if they are definitely gone or not!🤠

Thanks!🙏

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Hey Folks!

Before they shut down this topic 🤣🤣🤣 does anyone have some reliable update about Amico?

Is it going to see the light one day?

I paid 275 bucks some years ago (to to FIG, if I remember well) and I’m curious to know if they are definitely gone or not!🤠

Thanks!🙏

image.gif.2200013c3a6245ce4163536e1c215cde.gif

6 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

don’t think combining physical buttons and joysticks with context-appropriate touchscreen controls is the worst idea in the world; I enjoyed Wii U and PS Vita in their time over 10 years ago. 

I think the increased cost and more complex development explains why these platforms didn’t take off. Resources are better spent elsewhere. 

Amico, on the other hand, had 99 other problems and this was just but one of them. 

I agree on the WiiU- great system. And when a game is made for a touch screen it can totally work, like Angry Birds for example. But the Amico games seemed SO shoehorned into the screen usage directive. Not one of them showed the touchscreen as a way to add to gameplay. At best they were fragile compromises.

• Like 2