IGNORED

Outlaw - another updated release from Atari

cvga

What do you think about these older titles getting a refresh? First Berzerk and now Outlaw. I'll admit that I like it, especially the non limited release versions at $30 each. Outlaw wasn't one of my favorites growing up but I'm enjoying seeing what they've updated and I'll give it a spin (even at the higher limited release cost of $60 as this one doesn't have a value price yet).

Outlaw.thumb.webp.2ff0facfd9451c7fc450d04126048357.webp

• Like 1

Just now, cvga said:

What do you think about these older titles getting a refresh? First Berzerk and now Outlaw. I'll admit that I like it, especially the non limited release versions at $30 each. Outlaw wasn't one of my favorites growing up but I'm enjoying seeing what they've updated and I'll give it a spin (even at the higher limited release cost of $60 as this one doesn't have a value price yet).

I wonder who's doing the engineering on these? They haven't contacted me. ;)

-Thom

23 minutes ago, Tinman said:

I’m unclear on what’s new other than the packaging.

I may have read the description too hastily. For some reason I thought there was a 1 player vs cpu mode but I didn't even realize that targets were part of a 1 player option in the original game. I like the idea of updating older games with new features but if this is simply a repackaging of the existing game I would have passed on buying it.

1 hour ago, save2600 said:

Sorry @cvga ...if this is just regular old Atari Outlaw with cheesy new artwork and NOT a version of Manuel Rockstars' Gunfight game, then...  🤮 🤣

Agreed! Gunfight is just sooo much better. I'm failing to see the need for Outlaw XP at all! Wonder where Atari is going their focus group surveys (if any are done at all!) Sheesh!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cvga said:

Well, I love the concept of the old games getting a refresh (namely, adding single-player modes to games that are two-player only), but in the case of Outlaw here, it's not clear that anything was actually updated besides the label/box art. Even the gunslinger clips in the promo video show one cowboy shooting at another one that doesn't move, which doesn't augur well for the possibility of 1-player gunslinger games. So this one's a head-scratcher for me.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Seriously... of all the early games, the oversized PlaySkool or Loc-Bloc like "sprites" and gameplay of original Outlaw have not aged well at all.

What's next? A refresh of Street Racer with box art like this?  🤣

IMG_9180.jpeg

Well Thats Your Opinion Man The Big Lebowski Quotes Like. QuotesGram |  Steve jobs quotes, Big lebowski quotes, Puns jokes

😜

(I don't know about that artwork, but I'd be amenable to an updated Street Racer!)

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BassGuitari said:

(I don't know about that artwork, but I'd be amenable to an updated Street Racer!)

...yeah, with smaller sprites allowing for a larger playfield with more going on, so would I! 

Totally agree about incorporating AI/single player game updates to some of these, but... 🙁

5 hours ago, BassGuitari said:

Street Racer was one of the first games I bought with my own money as a kid. I was mesmerized by the description in the catalog and loved the idea of racing against other cars instead of time like Night Driver (which I had played at a friend's house). Not sure why I didn't want Indy 500 instead but it was probably due to the price. Street Racer was pretty much a disappointment from the beginning although I did play a fair amount of number cruncher. At least I purchased Grand Prix and Enduro back in the day so I was able to eventually scratch that racing itch!

• Like 3

I'm one of those weirdos who like Street Racer, and the pre-1980 game lineup generally. I like the variety and twitchy gameplay. The Scoop Ball game is a hidden gem, I think.

It's too bad Atari didn't fine-tune the concept into something more along the lines of Speed RaceMonaco GP, or LeMans for a later release.

• Like 3

New cart, new label, new artwork is all that's new about this, just a collector's item or new cart for completionists or folks who want new carts for their 2600+. It's cool enough if you like it, the artwork is great. I like that it retains how unlike the actual game it is. :) Butcher Billy does good stuff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tschak909 said:

I'm just sitting here, eating popcorn, watching to see how many of you get duped by current-day Atari, over and over again, despite being told by those of us who have dealt with said company, NOT TO EVER DEAL WITH SAID COMPANY, EVEN AS A CONSUMER. :)

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

-Thom

What, all zero people here enthused about a $60 copy of Outlaw? Hope you have a lot of popcorn.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The new artwork is another step in the right direction. Of course the original Outlaw artwork remains a classic, but if Atari wants to regain some identity in the 2020 decade, they definitely have to push for some new looks.

And not only new looks but also some noteworthy new content (such as Omegamatrix' beautiful menus, AI for one player games, and perhaps some new game variations). That would really make such purchases justifiable then.

In the long run, they should really also strive to come up with a distinct new general box design for all-new original games, but I don't mind them picking up on the silver box look for such "collectors" reissues.

A dozen or so such XP games, with Bill Butcher cover and added content sure would find its audience then. And yes, it would be better if they would add the XP moniker to the official title to distinguish them better from the original release: Outlaw XP, Super Breakout XP, Indy 500 XP, etc..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1