IGNORED

Outlaw - another updated release from Atari

cvga

On 9/12/2023 at 10:57 AM, donjn said:

This is why I worry about the Atari 2600+.

They will try to get us to re-purchase the 2600 library at $60 per game.

But you can just buy the already existing versions. What does Outlaw cost? $2? They'll find the right price point. Either people will purchase carts directly from them or they won't. We have after-market options.

On 9/14/2023 at 12:17 AM, donjn said:

Yes but H.E.R.O. is 60 plus dollars on ebay. Things like this, having to buy the hardware library sucks.

I don't understand your concern. Don't buy the games that they are selling for $60 that you want but can get other places for less. If they release other games at $60 that you want but normally sell for more than $60 isn't that a good thing for you since you'd now have a cheaper option? Ultimately the market will determine where the right pricing level is.

On 9/6/2023 at 4:33 PM, BassGuitari said:

What, all zero people here enthused about a $60 copy of Outlaw? Hope you have a lot of popcorn.

Me I just look at it like it’s an automatic rarity 10 but by October 5-7th they’ll most likely release the non limited edition like with mr run and jump but I could be wrong

I've said it before about this release, it's label looks great, but that's it.  I like the new label but if that's the entire selling point, I'll pass thank you.  Atari needs to offer something different in the game play to get my attention here.  They released an enhanced Berzerk with diagonal shooting and robot voices.  That got my attention.  They released Mr. Run and Jump, which is a new game.  That got my attention.  This one is falling flat on it's face for me.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2023 at 11:45 AM, RamrodHare said:

It's a cash grab, plain and simple. It's what Atari is all about these days. They don't care about the community or what we want. They will end up ruining everything they touch.

There’s probably a decent amount of truth here but maybe that’s possible to test the theory by making a huge thread called Dear Atari or something that makes Atari know it’s to them. We all post consumer suggestions and maybe some of the ideas rock and get mentioned a bunch where they now own AtariAge it might give them the idea listen and make larger $. Even if they only picked a couple things here and there would show the world they are different but maybe they do nothing. I kinda think it be unwise of a company in this field to not listen where retro isn’t everyone’s cup of tea and that means they make a little one way and a lot if they begin to listen to those that love the system. They may own the company that built Atari but the fans made it what it is and without us they have nothing at all. I truely believe if they did some slightly unconventional things they stand to make big. Chris Spry made some sweet home brews that show dulled down versions of similar nes and sega and yes they probably can’t do exactly that with copyrighted characters or games but the system is far more capable than anything any actual game company produced for the system with the exception of some AtariAge releases. I also think they need to dabble in 7800 some as I’ve seen what an Atari 2600 can do with extra hardware in a cart. Imagine what the 7800 can probably do in comparison. If they did some modern retro with good programmers the price would feel better. I’m not saying they’d listen at all but popular opinion is where it’s at and I think asking Atari what there made of and if there ready to become what we want. Every owner made big mistakes but let’s see maybe someone there will have the brains to see what they gotta do to keep Atari alive. Right now you home brewers out there made Atari make it this far. You all are Atari and why it lives today. Without you Atari wouldn’t have lived to be bought. That’s something to be proud of. I wish the community owned Atari. To me reading it sounds like Atari wants to step up there game as it’s been mentioned they wanna pay home brewers and sure there first 3 games are iffy but I also think they just can’t find decent programmers and some that could fill the shoes are mad or upset and just won’t so Atari is more likely to be doomed over pride. Who knows maybe the popular opinion of them is spot on but if no one with talent steps up and none of us give them a chance then all they can do is what they have ability to do now. There just starting and there learning what we want and don’t want. So far there most likely reading some of the options but again if you run a auto shop and there arnt many mechanics around you hire what you can or perish. There basing what we want by the success of the flashbacks. Now that’s old but there just figuring that out between now and Christmas. We know cause we been here a while since our first Atari some longer than others but we all have a common love for the system. I say give them a chance and make a pinned suggestion thread. If it’s a nice thread maybe Atari will turn around and maybe not but if no one leads the way and programs something worth it they can’t possibly fix the issues. If one person made a game that sold way more copies than the first 3 Atari would know where the bear goes in the woods and strive to continue down that road I think but then I’m just a guy that can hardware hack with an unpopular opinion and not a business man. Hope I didn’t upset anyone as I value everyone opinion and reasoning for it and am curious what others think. Probably I’m wishful thinking but a dreamer can dream right? 

13 hours ago, chriswhit said:

Me I just look at it like it’s an automatic rarity 10 but by October 5-7th they’ll most likely release the non limited edition like with mr run and jump but I could be wrong

I have to admit the potential future rarity of this thing has me considering a purchase. :) What can I say I've got an Atari collecting problem. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

I have to admit the potential future rarity of this thing has me considering a purchase. :) What can I say I've got an Atari collecting problem. 

yes im only purchasing everything for that one reason. never gonna open any as the content is borderline. well I got 2 copies of mr run and jump but ones to open the case and show everyone the new boards and for my curiosity. just think if atari sells few copies and falls on there face ten years from now the games that were limited or didnt sell well might fetch $500 or more. then to if everyone buys for that reason my idea is not gonna be as good as I think. Its a gamble ether way especially with iffy roms and minor tweaks to re releases that a kid could do after a few weeks of research. Admitting this is almost embarising cause there poor products that deserve a full on boycott of all there products. if everyone said no and didn't buy any they'd be forced to perish or step up there game. I guess that makes me part of the problem and not part of the solution. Im probably gonna get more selective as now I have 4 items coming from this era for my collection and that satisfies me enough to skip the rest if they dont step it up

I'd be keen to purchase some re-releases of my favourites so that I can have them CIB but the price needs to be sensible. I have original Space Shuttle, Surround, Warlords and Asteroids (all NTSC - CIB) and there's a few select others I'd like to rebuy such Super Breakout, Circus, Night Driver, Combat, Video Olympics, Yars' Revenge and Space War to name a few.

Ideally I'd be able to buy a few Activision and Imagic games too but that is rather unlikely at present.

Edited by davyK

2 hours ago, davyK said:

I'd be keen to purchase some re-releases of my favourites so that I can have them CIB but the price needs to be sensible. I have original Space Shuttle, Surround, Warlords and Asteroids (all NTSC - CIB) and there's a few select others I'd like to rebuy such Super Breakout, Circus, Night Driver, Combat, Video Olympics, Yars' Revenge and Space War to name a few.

Ideally I'd be able to buy a few Activision and Imagic games too but that is rather unlikely at present.

You gotta figure inflation happened big time over past 2 years. Albert doesn’t make much on a $30 game after expenses maybe $5-10 especially if the cases are new. When the 100 limited editions sell out the regular version for 30ish comes out but not sure if they’re boxed when not limited. Many of Albert’s box games are $45-60 so to me price is similar 

10 minutes ago, chriswhit said:

You gotta figure inflation happened big time over past 2 years. Albert doesn’t make much on a $30 game after expenses maybe $5-10 especially if the cases are new. When the 100 limited editions sell out the regular version for 30ish comes out but not sure if they’re boxed when not limited. Many of Albert’s box games are $45-60 so to me price is similar 

It's a fair point you make. If I'm honest I'd rebuy them to sit on a shelf. Maybe if the rereleases had extra modes/features it would make them a more attractive proposition but that's easier said than done, esp. with the 2600+ having the same original spec.

Edited by davyK

4 minutes ago, davyK said:

It's a fair point you make. If I'm honest I'd rebuy them to sit on a shelf. Maybe if the rereleases had extra modes/features it would make them a more attractive proposition but that's easier said than done, esp. with the 2600+ having the same original spec.

Yes to me I feel you there it’s more the content and quality that I dislike and I mean quality of roms and the fake system are definitely big mistakes . I’ll admit I did buy a 2600 plus and 2 of each game but I’m ripping them down on YouTube to show the world what Atari is selling us. The 2600 plus is a downgraded raspberry pi in 32 bit with a game slot. I can build that with my 3d printer. They use a different emulator but if you flash it you can run nes games it’s a 32 bit pi zero

18 minutes ago, davyK said:

I'm not interested in new packaging or anything like that - it's all about nostalgia for me - those original Atari boxes with the art by the likes of Cliff Spohn are iconic and they don't need changed.  But a bit of value add would help.

6 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

I feel like $50 is a better price for these basic cart and box releases but whatever.

Just looked closely they’re all boxed I guess but limited comes with instructions manual and a different color label and box. This is boxed with no instruction manual for $30ish https://atari.com/products/berzerk-enhanced-edition?_pos=5&_sid=10162022d&_ss=r

1 hour ago, davyK said:

At least Berzerk give you speech (and do the robots shoot diagonally too?).  I'd pay for that OK.

Yes the price is better for sure. Not sure on the robots part but I ordered one. I believe outlaw has enhancements just not sure what they are but a non limited version will most likely release soon at the same price as berserk