IGNORED

AtariAge + Atari Q&A

Albert

30 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Ok.

I misread and didn't realize insertclevernamehere was talking about controllers, so if they don't cost over $35, shipping isn't free, though amazon.com would charge import fees that would bump up the price, so there's that.

Edited by BILLYonaire
Adding info about shipping fees

1 hour ago, Xyla said:

Hey now, some of us consider the Tramiel era to be the golden age of Atari.

Jack made a few really bad decisions that I wouldn't have done (mainly shutting down the video game projects and firing people), but he gave us some amazing computers and the spirit of Atari was strong.  They had absolutely amazing R&D, but sucked really bad at marketing.  Particularly at the end of the '80s and into the '90s when they really grew the product lines and Jack's health went.  It wasn't all Atari's fault... PCs taking over (for no good reason) hurt everyone and almost killed even Apple.  But they could have done better had they made different choices.

The spirit of Atari was always the games, and the home computers were an afterthought who clearly couldn’t compete once IBM and Apple entered the market.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, John Stamos Mullet said:

The spirit of Atari was always the games, and the home computers were an afterthought who clearly couldn’t compete once IBM and Apple entered the market.

This. So much this. Though me and a couple fellows on Discord would love to see a XEGS Mini of a sort. Or maybe just a console that plays both A8 and 5200 games.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2023 at 10:55 AM, Albert said:

It is very important to me that the forum continue as it is, and I will be running the forum as I have been throughout the years, that is not going to change.  The store will see some big improvements early next year, and that's something I had already planned on.  And I now expect to be able to make significant improvements to the AtariAge games database with Atari's full support and resources.

One very important way Atariage has already changed is the implosion of the homebrew market.  The homebrews have been one of the things that keeps me interested in Atari 41 years after my parents bought me one back in late 81 early 82. 

Does the Atari entity who bought Atariage own any of the arcade licenses from Atari's old backlog of arcade cabinets?  Presumably not.

If it does, that's nice I suppose, but every other arcade cabinet is now off-limits because unlike Al or joe-homebrewer, Atari has some pockets to reach into. 

Though this may very well open up much larger paydays for successful "homebrews," it really won't be a homebrew anymore. Either way, this could be a big benefit of the acquisition.

While I am by no means trashing original content creators, the arcade ports are the best, IMHO.

But, IMHO, the biggest risk to Atariage is it will languish and/or disappear, especially if Atari runs into money trouble, which is highly likely. 

6 hours ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

https://www.amazon.ca/Plaion-Atari-2600-Hardware/dp/B0CG7LMFKY viola .. Canada is online. Firmware updates I can't speak to, but maximizing compatibility is the goal so ... seems likely.

I just ordered. I hope this ends up being something great. If you are using Stella, you should try to acknowledge the Stella team in some way.

1 hour ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

The early popularity of the 2600+ opens the door to making more controller types. I can't promise anything, but the desire is there.

Would’ve been really cool to see a 4 pack of 7800 games of some special kind, together with for example 1 new Euro-controller and 1 new American stick.

If the game-titles would’ve catered to the retro-sensitives out there, or simply just be a super-boost to the 7800-library, and with both a european and an american controller, I think it could really increase interest even further in 2600+.

- for mostly 2600 gamers, they could get to use 7800 controllers on their 2600 games (if I don’t misunderstand completely)

- more people, who perhaps gets one out of nostalgia for the 2600, would suddenly ‘discover’ the 7800 and its library

- that would get them interested in collecting 7800-games re-released by Atari, or obtained by Atari thus to be released,

- it may get them here (AA) where they would discover ‘everything Atari’

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, r_chase said:

I'm glad most of the so-called "crypto things" are kept to a merch level. I'm pretty sure some (if not most) of us don't like NFTs, especially after it got saturated with cryptocurrency scams and stuff. I would say the concept of web3 kinda irks me too.

What about it irks you? The attempt to impose an artificial economy of scarcity on digital assets which are infinitely reproducible? The excessive use of energy to power massive banks of GPUs that are in turn inflating the cost of consumer GPUs to absurd levels? The weird mixture of condescension and desperation that exudes from early adopters who can't explain how any of it actually works (much less how a computer even gets an image on screen or sends a document to a printer) but they try to act like you're the idiot for not seeing how you're missing out on making free money by investing in something with no intrinsic value?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 6

Just now, Zoyous said:

What about it irks you? The attempt to impose an artificial economy of scarcity on digital assets which are infinitely reproducible? The excessive use of energy to power massive banks of GPUs that are in turn inflating the cost of consumer GPUs to absurd levels? The weird mixture of condescension and desperation that exudes from early adopters who can't explain how any of it actually works (much less how a computer even gets an image on screen or sends a document to a printer) but they try to act like you're the idiot for not seeing how you're missing out on making free money by investing in something with no intrinsic value?

All the above actually. Anyway, I hope some things are just kept at a purely cosmetic level and not become a necessity to run some things. NFTs are mostly bullshit anyway.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, BILLYonaire said:

Shipping is free at amazon.ca, so it's quite a bit higher in price.

As a fellow Canadian I also prefer to buy electronics via Amazon.ca

There’s also the fact that many electronics devices wouldn’t ship to Canada from Amazon.com, albeit it’s less common these days since in many case Amazon just redirect your order if the product is also available in the .CA . 

9 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Would’ve been really cool to see a 4 pack of 7800 games of some special kind, together with for example 1 new Euro-controller and 1 new American stick.

If the game-titles would’ve catered to the retro-sensitives out there, or simply just be a super-boost to the 7800-library, and with both a european and an american controller, I think it could really increase interest even further in 2600+.

From the Atari website:

Package Contents

Atari 2600+ Video Game System includes:
- Atari 2600+ Game System
- Atari CX40+ Joystick
- Atari 10-in-1 Game Cartridge
- HDMI Cable
- USB-C Power Cable
- FUN!

No 7800 joystick is included at all. So the library of games that use a 2 button joystick are not playable out of the box.  The picture of the CX40+ doesn't show 2 buttons.  The original shipped with 2 joysticks and 2 paddles.  Paddle games are not compatible either apparently, at least not out of the box.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, christo930 said:

But, IMHO, the biggest risk to Atariage is it will languish and/or disappear, especially if Atari runs into money trouble, which is highly likely. 

Won’t they just then sell of anything they own, piece by piece… ?

Then AA could be bought back either by someone with the necessary means, or through a crowdfunding…?

- - -

Since I hope for some modernized retro-hardware and retro-game-stuff to come along in near future, I hope Atari official get things going, sell well, and obtains things of interest to retro-gamers and modern-gamers alike.

I believe they are much more likely to do so, by sticking around here, listening to whats actually held as hot among Atari-fans, and (continue) to be in touch with the atari gamer-core/fan-base.

Edited by Giles N

Just now, christo930 said:

From the Atari website:

Package Contents

Atari 2600+ Video Game System includes:
- Atari 2600+ Game System
- Atari CX40+ Joystick
- Atari 10-in-1 Game Cartridge
- HDMI Cable
- USB-C Power Cable
- FUN!

No 7800 joystick is included at all. So the library of games that use a 2 button joystick are not playable out of the box.  The picture of the CX40+ doesn't show 2 buttons.  The original shipped with 2 joysticks and 2 paddles.  Paddle games are not compatible either apparently, at least not out of the box.

That doesn't mean it won't accept 7800 joysticks and stuff like that.

• Like 2

This thread is awesome, would I be wrong to assume this thread might a record holder in terms of the fastest growing or at least one of the fastest in terms of a new thread being up to 32 pages so soon? Understandable of course being the biggest news here in years. It just seems the site has been on fire since the announcement. 🔥

f2e949d4432131a2eb686d8554ad6e25_w200.we

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, christo930 said:

No 7800 joystick is included at all. So the library of games that use a 2 button joystick are not playable out of the box. 

I’m asking about 7800-controller combatibility, and suggesting a production of 7800-controllers + 4 game-pack (with neat titles).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, r_chase said:

That doesn't mean it won't accept 7800 joysticks and stuff like that.

Are they going to make them?  What about paddles?

I guess my opinion really doesn't matter because this is not something I would have bought even if they included these things and lowered the price. i already have like 10 ways to play Atari games on real hardware and I use a CRT 90s TV.  I just hope they sell mutlicarts in the store.  For games I don't already have a physical of, or if there were new releases on them, I would buy them.

7 minutes ago, Giles N said:

I’m asking about 7800-controller combatibility, and suggesting a production of 7800-controllers + 4 game-pack (with neat titles).

I would think, well, I would hope they would. I have the europad for the 7800 so I'd like it to work, maybe Albert knows if they work or not

Whoops looks like I got my answer ⬆️😁

Edited by AtariLeaf

7 minutes ago, christo930 said:

For games I don't already have a physical of, or if there were new releases on them, I would buy them.

Yeah, and I hope to see things like this happening. Some titles may be really expensive to obtain for a official run, others may need a lot of paper-work and license-research due to age and shifts in IP holders, but I’d really like to see the rare games come back with cases, manuals and what-not.

- - -

And of course more official games for the 7800 in the general…

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Albert said:

7800 controllers work fine in the 2600+. 

..Al

Hey, thanks!

You know if you can meddle with it to do ‘pause’, ‘reset’ and ‘select’ for the 7800, - or are these somehow parallel in both 2600 and 7800 (I don’t own a physical 2600)?

Edited by Giles N