IGNORED

AtariAge + Atari Q&A

Albert

10 minutes ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

so, what is the state of the Amiga platform in the opinion of this group? Hardware? Software? What is the appetite for Amiga content?

The Amiga licensing market is a MESS...

Just ask Cloanto/Hyperion (but not in the same room)...

I love the Amiga (have my 1200 right here and my 500 a few feet behind me)...

And I think there is some market for the Amiga...

But, with the Amiga mini and Cloanto's AmigaForever...

I'm not sure how much of a market there really is...

(I didn't buy the mini, but I'm not a fan of most mini consoles in general.)

That said, I've always told my friends that if there is a billion dollar lottery winner who doesn't come forward, and then you hear about someone buying all the Amiga companies and unifying them, it's probably me...  ;-)

As for the forum:

https://forums.atariage.com/forum/173-commodore-amiga/

But if you are serious and want even more curmudgeon hate then you'll get here, EAB (English Amiga Board) is the Amiga forum.. IMHO..

Edited by desiv
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JPF997 said:

So where does that leave young Atari fans like me , the Atari that I grew up with is the modern Atari SA, the Atari games I have nostalgia for are games like roller coaster tycoon 3, Superman shadow of the apokolips, Enter the Matrix, alone in the dark 2008, demolition racer, v rally, test drive, dragon ball Budokai and Tenkaichi,  Driver 3 etc. What I'm just supposed to take it in the chin and go with the narrative that modern Atari is not legitimate, I can tell you right now I have no intention of doing so, Atari SA is the real Atari for me. (also sorry I responded to the wrong person) 

You're talking about Infogrames. There's a song for that. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=522bVV-82qQ

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

hah. I looked through the forum and there is no dedicated amiga thread, but it has been referenced quite a lot in this thread.

Look in "Classic Computing" for some discussion. I don't think it overlaps much with classic Atari but some European members might feel differently. Is Atari going to buy up Amiga IP too? That wouldn't be such a bad thing from where I sit, but you'd have to pry it out of Cloanto. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Look in "Classic Computing" for some discussion. I don't think it overlaps much with classic Atari but some European members might feel differently. Is Atari going to buy up Amiga IP too? That wouldn't be such a bad thing from where I sit, but you'd have to pry it out of Cloanto. 

It is not about buying, it is more about already owning a lot.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

It is not about buying, it is more about already owning a lot.

Great, but hope you have good lawyers...  (Yep, this isn't threats, but lots and recent lawsuits...)

And based on that latest lawsuit, it's possibly more Hyperion you should talk to:
https://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=8890

Tho I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not sure what Hyperion winning over Cloanto actually means...

Just that it's a mess and they are litigious..  ;-( 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

What would be interesting is some sort of partnership with the apollo-core.com group.  Get that hardware built into a new Atari ST compatible system...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

so, what is the state of the Amiga platform in the opinion of this group? Hardware? Software? What is the appetite for Amiga content?

Considering the mess that is the Amiga platform right now, that's probably a door that's better left closed.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, desiv said:

Great, but hope you have good lawyers...  (Yep, this isn't threats, but lots and recent lawsuits...)

And based on that latest lawsuit, it's possibly more Hyperion you should talk to:
https://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=8890

Tho I'm not a lawyer, so I'm not sure what Hyperion winning over Cloanto actually means...

Just that it's a mess and they are litigious..  ;-( 

Hyperion at least has been trying to advance the Amiga with OS4.  Cloanto just keeps regurgitating old stuff.  Cloanto is like the AtGames of the Amiga realm...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, leech said:

Hyperion at least has been trying to advance the Amiga with OS4.  Cloanto just keeps regurgitating old stuff.  Cloanto is like the AtGames of the Amiga realm...

Yeah, I have Amiga OS 3.2 from Hyperion for my A1200...

That said I also use AmigaForever from time to time...  (Yes, I also use WinUAE...)
I just wish they could get along...  They both could have a place and work together...

As a fan of retro, I don't see a problem with regurgitating old stuff... ;-)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bakasama said:

You can say the same thing for SNK. It was bought out by a pancinko company. Then the former president of SNK formed a new company named Playmore which then bought all SNK assets and then renamed the company SNK Playmore. This company then got renamed SNK. Then the company got bought by some Chinese investors and is now owned by a Saudi prince.

This seems kinda rad, I mean its probably not for the fans but man, what a story haha

2 hours ago, Albert said:

Yeah, that was a golden time in Pinball, so many amazing games were created during that time.  I have a Star Trek: Next Generation machine from Williams.  Also a Black Knight 2000 from Williams, but that was much earlier.

..Al

BK2K is hands down my favorite pinball. Out of the 100s I've owned, that and super mario are the two I regret selling the most (maybe Frankenstein by sega should be in there too)

1 hour ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

Amiga was my first computer. Its strange, I should be more nostalgic for it but I'm not really that nostalgic for it lol. Id probably buy something new related to it though if it made sense and didn't cost much...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

Amiga was my first computer. Its strange, I should be more nostalgic for it but I'm not really that nostalgic for it lol. Id probably buy something new related to it though if it made sense and didn't cost much...

Mine was the MegaSTe, but I enjoy using the Amigas more... likely because I stopped using the ST around the time MiNT was really taking off.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

First thing's first , love that song unironically, second Infogrames has been Atari since 2003, at this point Infogrames has been Atari for longer than it ever was Infogrames, most people that work there today have no connection to that past , for them the company they work for is Atari and always will be and that's what matters most ( also let's not forget how the original Atari was actually another company before it took that name, Syzygy, same thing with Atari corporation, it was Tramel Technology before it became Atari Corp, when you think deeply about it Atari SA really just did the same thing previous iterations of the company did as well, they're just following tradition).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

Maybe most people realize they shouldn't mess with Nintendo properties, or remain as anonymous as possible if they do

Right now on Amazon you can buy pirated Nintendo games hundreds of times over. Nintendo doesn’t even try to take most stuff down. When they do try to take something down it’s usually because it’s getting in the way of their own releases (e.g. AM2R and Samus Returns).

Now, the Pokémon Company… they’re bloodthirsty.

Sega would mess with the Sonic community more, except… they’re frickin’ crazy and nobody wants to mess with Sonic fans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

From my perspective, it's not on my radar.  Never owned one growing up, having been an Atari kid.  However, I have had a couple as an adult.  Good systems, and I can appreciate them for what they are now much better than I ever did as an adolescent ST user.

They're also one of the things I had to let go of when I realised that my collecting habits were well and truly out of hand.  Three storage units (mostly filled with arcade games) and an apartment full of computer and video game stuff was where the line in the sand was drawn.

2 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

If that was recorded with an ST I would laugh my rear off.

Way I see it, Atari have made promises, lets see if they keep them. No sense getting riled up like a bunch of Karens over what if's, why for's and maybes. Deals done and the ship has left the dock. From my point of view, Amiga isn't a concern, never will be. Atari is. 

While we are on it, make a VCS 2 in a Mega or ST case running Hatari and Steem. Bliss. 

• Like 5