IGNORED

AtariAge acquired by Atari

digdugnate

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/atari-acquires-atariage

"For 25 years the AtariAge community has documented Atari games and provided a valuable forum for a large and passionate community of retro game fans, collectors, and homebrew developers," said Atari CEO Wade Rosen. "By bringing AtariAge into the Atari family, we can ensure this important resource gets the support it needs to continue to fulfill its mission for years to come."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, digdugnate said:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/atari-acquires-atariage

"For 25 years the AtariAge community has documented Atari games and provided a valuable forum for a large and passionate community of retro game fans, collectors, and homebrew developers," said Atari CEO Wade Rosen. "By bringing AtariAge into the Atari family, we can ensure this important resource gets the support it needs to continue to fulfill its mission for years to come."

Good for Al. It does make sense for Atari since at this point they probably don't really know their own history that well. 

• Haha 1

I don't like this.  I know it's too late to do anything about it now, but I don't like it.  The best part about Atari Age for me is that it is (or was, I guess) an independent fansite, run by fans for fans, with no corporate interference.

I mean, you say there'll be no changes, but there's already been changes — the ROMs are gone from the rarity guide.  Was that wholly a decision of a fan doing it for the benefit of other fans, or was it a corporate mandate?

• Like 10

Congratulations Al. Makes sense to join forces, especially if you're able to accomplish more without killing yourself while enjoying your hopefully millions of dollars from the sale!

In all seriousness, congrats! I know it was a big decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Raiu said:

I mean, you say there'll be no changes, but there's already been changes — the ROMs are gone from the rarity guide.  Was that wholly a decision of a fan doing it for the benefit of other fans, or was it a corporate mandate?

Those links were already broken after I had to rewrite a lot of the internals for the games database several years ago. I never fixed them, and my intent was already to remove them, so I went ahead and removed the links. 

..Al

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raiu said:

I don't like this.  I know it's too late to do anything about it now, but I don't like it.  The best part about Atari Age for me is that it is (or was, I guess) an independent fansite, run by fans for fans, with no corporate interference.

Well if you read Albert’s statement, it seemed like it was either this or him shutting down the site/walking away. It’s a ton of work with no promise of income… I don’t blame the guy at all for getting done stability. 

• Like 2

Glad you locked my thread Al.  Didn't realize there was already a few RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY FACE!  lol

Anyways from the q and a section:

Congratulations AL!  Long time coming.  I back and support you 100 percent.  Let's face it, the Atari brand will live on longer than all of us.  That's said, kind of an immoralizing of all of us and our work to help keep Atari alive and well all these years!  This is our footnote in the page of Atari history!

• Like 3