IGNORED

Atari acquires AtariAge

Andrew Davie

On 9/7/2023 at 5:12 AM, Andrew Davie said:

I can, I suppose, clarify the reasons I withdrew Qb from sale. I think the reasons are fairly obvious now.

This makes sense now.  There are other options for homebrewers to make cartridges and I think other options might be springing up sooner rather than later.  Qb is still an awesome game that I keep going back to.

• Like 1

Atari says they won't  change anything, but the availability of some games already says otherwise. It looks like some of the great minds of this forum may leave soon, which will hurt the forums greatly. I don't want to leave, but without the knowledge some members bring, the forums won't be the same. I see Atari (the company) as a cash grabbing machine  threatening to crush  our sanctuary here. What have they done for us?They've sold us broken promises in every item they've made. The 2600+ is no different. I won't be buying it. Once Atari runs away our members, where will we go? How will we get in touch? What will happen to everyone who makes homebrew games? 

I am happy for AL. I do have a feeling that he will be able to keep things on track, but people plan to leave. It's happening. I don't trust Atari, most people seem to echo that. I'm  hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.

• Like 5

I don't think Atari will try to censure criticism. What I don't like is how they've ignored the community for so long and turned out weak products. Atari will have to earn some trust. Atari should have tried harder with these new releases and the 2600+. That would have made me feel more positive about this merger. AA was flying the Atari flag higher than the actual company ever did. It's funny, but this could be seen as a step backwards for AA.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

So my opinion is that I think it's alright that Atari has purchased Atari Age

that's fine

but IMO now we all need to go somewhere else to discuss Atari.

A follow up to my previous post.  I just thought of a quick example of why we all need to 

go somewhere else to criticize Atari.  

In November, when the new Atari 2600+ consoles ship.

If we, as a community, will want to have honest discussion about what we like and don't like

about them, IMO we all will need to go some place else to do it.

See what I mean?  Just my thoughts about it.  

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Living Room Arcade said:

A follow up to my previous post.  I just thought of a quick example of why we all need to 

If we, as a community, will want to have honest discussion about what we like and don't like

I think there will be new places that pop up, but you will be able to criticize Atari, their games, and their platforms here.  I don't feel healthy criticism will get blocked, but perhaps childish crying will.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, killersquirel said:

I think there will be new places that pop up, but you will be able to criticize Atari, their games, and their platforms here.  I don't feel healthy criticism will get blocked, but perhaps childish crying will.

Nobody is going to be censored for criticizing Atari or products that Atari produces.  There's already plenty of content on AtariAge that does just this, heck, all the original threads bashing the Atari VCS are still on the site, and you have a current Atari employee addressing criticism in the Q&A thread that was linked above.  I will continue to be the admin on the forum, and the existing Global Moderators are remaining.  We spent a lot of time discussing the forum before I agreed to anything, and it's not something I did lightly.

As for "childish crying", if someone is being disruptive in a thread and not contributing to the discussion in a positive way, there's always the chance that person will be booted from the thread.  This wouldn't be handled any differently in a thread that was discussing Atari or Atari-related products.

..Al

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2023 at 11:46 AM, killersquirel said:

This makes sense now.  There are other options for homebrewers to make cartridges and I think other options might be springing up sooner rather than later.  Qb is still an awesome game that I keep going back to.

Call it what you want but at the end of the day please let the powers that be decide if they want us here and continue to support Al! Love Ya Man.

I think I might have made my point clear, but just in case people misinterpreted what I said.  I don't think there will be any changes here on Atariage.  I understand everyone's feelings on the current Atari, and that's cool.  I, for one, really enjoy the new VCS and the games that Atari has been making lately.  There are some amazing talent in the home-brew scene and I hope it just expands and keeps going.  

• Like 2

On 9/8/2023 at 5:10 PM, Living Room Arcade said:

Yes, people could all wonder off somewhere else to complain about Atari for fear of sensorship, but consider this...

If there is an exodus to somewhere else to complain about things people don't like about Atari or thier products, partcularly those products that are meant to appeal to long term Atari devotees, then how could the situation possibly improve?

While there are no guarentees that Atari would make changes to products or they way they do things as a result of any comments made, thier investment in Atari Age means someone from Atari may at least be seeing those comments and taking them on board. In which case there is a chance of them affecting positive change as a result, whereas if posted somehwere they would not be seen by Atari there is no possibility of them having any influence whatsoever. 

Thus it is possible that immediately jumping ship to a new forum without waiting for the dust to settle and get the lie of the land rather than reacting to conjecture and speculation could be counterproductive.    

• Like 2

Everyone here is entitled to have their own optimistic or pessimistic viewpoint on this news. But here are some facts to consider:

1) AtariAge was never “ours”. The owner who paid the bills to keep the lights on (in this case AL) was always in control. It’s a blessing that it lasted as long as it did, but it was never going to last forever.

2) When NintendoAge/SegaAge changed hands a few years ago, it died. Everyone scattered. And although some of us migrated to a new site, it’s only a shadowy reflection of what it used to be.

3) Atari itself will never be what it once was, no matter who buys it and no matter what they do with it. And regardless of any and all future changes, they will never be able to change the past.

4) The most valuable resource at this site, always was, and will always remain to be, its members and their contribution of pics, info, and roms over the years. Therefore, safeguarding these forums (backing up / archiving) the posts, is the most important priority.

5) This archival warning was not taken seriously and not done in time at NintendoAge/SegaAge, and almost everything was lost forever.

Do as you will.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Supergun said:

Everyone here is entitled to have their own optimistic or pessimistic viewpoint on this news. But here are some facts to consider:

1) AtariAge was never “ours”. The owner who paid the bills to keep the lights on (in this case AL) was always in control. It’s a blessing that it lasted as long as it did, but it was never going to last forever.

2) When NintendoAge/SegaAge changed hands a few years ago, it died. Everyone scattered. And although some of us migrated to a new site, it’s only a shadowy reflection of what it used to be.

3) Atari itself will never be what it once was, no matter who buys it and no matter what they do with it. And regardless of any and all future changes, they will never be able to change the past.

4) The most valuable resource at this site, always was, and will always remain to be, its members and their contribution of pics, info, and roms over the years. Therefore, safeguarding these forums (backing up / archiving) the posts, is the most important priority.

5) This archival warning was not taken seriously and not done in time at NintendoAge/SegaAge, and almost everything was lost forever.

Do as you will.

All good points. I have been a member of several sites over the decades that just shut down or been sold to someone trying to make a profit on the site. None went well. All archives were lost. Mysporttrac.com, gone after 20 years. Good how too and tech articles gone with it. Several others same thing. Some moved to facebook to die a slow death. Hopefully this one will survive.

Just now, Zonie said:

All good points. I have been a member of several sites over the decades that just shut down or been sold to someone trying to make a profit on the site. None went well. All archives were lost. Mysporttrac.com, gone after 20 years. Good how too and tech articles gone with it. Several others same thing. Some moved to facebook to die a slow death. Hopefully this one will survive.

Long term, Atariage will last as long as the current Atari allows it to.   Should be ok for a little bit.

Now is a good time to enjoy, but archive and save.. save.. save..

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Supergun said:

NA was a little different though. It was pretty clear the owner (Dain?) just wanted out, like completely out, over and done...I mean the guy even sold his ENTIRE collection with the forums! Basically after the sale you didn't really hear anything from him. 

6 hours ago, Zonie said:

Ya, I think Nekochan (the SGI fan site) shut down one day with no warning.  There were explanations and it was mostly the owner (I believe) being paranoid that he might get sued or something (after X number of years of no legal threats) and he was so paranoid that he wouldn't even give/sell the site to someone else to keep it going (which makes me doubt the legal worries since he wouldn't be responsible anymore) so it just poof!, gone.  Apparently many former members went to Irixnet and it's pretty good but they still complain about missing shit that was on Nekochan and if only if only.  Which I agree with but I suppose that's a lot of data to just archive on your own or with no real plan.

I worked at a place (CG effects) which was seen as a nice, "safe" place to work (I know that sounds dumb, CG isn't dangerous) compared to some other more corporate or shady effects houses.  I got there via a different effects house that was known for partying and for being the Wild West in terms of internal social emailing, attitudes, etc.  Different mindsets, different "community".  I was told more than once by coworkers that "Ooh, you won't get away with doing/saying that here, it's not like Previous Place!"  Not like I was intending to be a dick or anything, but my thinking was it's just humor or it's just opinion or whatever, there's nothing illegal about how I'm acting and certainly nobody ever told me not to do this or that specifically when I first signed on.  Anyway, I never got reprimanded for my comments or jokes, never got "reported" or complained about.  And there were a few community email dust-ups on various subjects (it was a very tree-hugger kind of company) that I was part of.  Eventually I leave (layoffs, a constant in CG) and the owner of the company comes up to me and shakes my hand, sorry that you have to go.  I thought that was a bit overkill, not necessary for the owner to do that for each person leaving but that was his style.  Anyway, he says to me (in front of others) that he read every email I ever sent out (he kept up on all that stuff from everybody) and he really like my opinions even when he disagreed with me.  Hah!  I was initially anxious because, oh shit, he saw that email, too?  And that other one?  He must have been upset, but then I also figured that he would have said something to me if anything I'd done/said had gone Too Far.  But I thought it was great validation.  See?  Told you assholes, no need to be so paranoid or worried about speaking your own mind (without being unduly insulting or dickish), we're all adults here, we should all be able to take a joke.  I think a couple people who heard him were genuinely surprised (based on their expressions), like they expected him to say I was out of line or I'm not welcome back or something.  But he was cool with me, and I did go back another couple times.  The Boss likes my email opinions so the rest of you can go screw, hahaaha.

The point is, I'm saying it's premature to spout doom and gloom and think it's over, AtariAge is gone, won't be the same, boo hoo.  I mean that might wind up being true but without any evidence to support that it's premature and pessimistic.  Just keep doing what you were doing before this happened, if it wasn't Bad then it ain't Bad now.  It's too early to say it's ruined or major changes exist.  Now, if Atari goes down the "Demolition Man" path of banning subjects and words and opinions then we have a problem.  You are fined 1 credit for violation of the Atari Corporate Dissension & Morality Statute

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crazy Climber said:

NA was a little different though. It was pretty clear the owner (Dain?) just wanted out, like completely out, over and done...I mean the guy even sold his ENTIRE collection with the forums! Basically after the sale you didn't really hear anything from him. 

Whoa, I didn't know he sold his entire collection on the forums before he sold NintendoAge! 

Don't panic when I start selling off the excess hardware and software I have in my collection, which I will definitely do via AtariAge as well as on eBay.  I just have way too much stuff that I've been moving around for years, and it's stupid paying for a 10' x 20' storage unit which is about 80% full with retro consoles, computers, controllers, peripherals, and a TON of games.  Actually, probably a few tons of games.  :D  

..Al

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Albert said:

Whoa, I didn't know he sold his entire collection on the forums before he sold NintendoAge! 

Don't panic when I start selling off the excess hardware and software I have in my collection, which I will definitely do via AtariAge as well as on eBay.  I just have way too much stuff that I've been moving around for years, and it's stupid paying for a 10' x 20' storage unit which is about 80% full with retro consoles, computers, controllers, peripherals, and a TON of games.  Actually, probably a few tons of games.  :D  

..Al

image.gif.0336c04c9f29aa6834964e9a6c9ca440.gif

Please make a thread when you get to selling. A few tons of games is just what the doctor ordered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Actually it was a package deal, he sold his entire collection bundled/simultaneously with the NA forums to the same buyer (The Go-collect guys) The spokeman told/bragged about how they acquired it all (many rare items) in the deal... 

I was only a casual NA guy but frequent enough to really feel bad for their group. I could tell immediately they were doomed. The guy just had a total used car salesman vibe when he was explaining all the great "changes" coming soon, etc...

I don't think Dain really put much thought into what was going to happen after he sold it...

• 10 months later...
On 9/7/2023 at 9:08 AM, Andrew Davie said:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/atari-acquires-atariage

I called this privately a number of months ago.  This is tragic for me personally.

I won't say any more right now, but I feel strongly about this.

I just found out today. It looks pretty much the same. Is everything going okay? I saw that you logged in recently, so maybe it’s not all that bad. Albert is still running the place, right? You and other homebrew folks make it worth dropping in.

Well, I have returned to the AtariAge.com website after a lengthy hiatus and after the announcement was made that AA is now under new ownership. I have yet to see anything substantively different about this website in the nearly one year since that announcement was made.

I don't see any reason to press the panic button just now, either.

-Ben

• Like 2

In the end, the merger hasn't been too bad for AA. I consider the loss of Andrew Davie to be huge. I hope Atari tries to reach out to him. It's really the only misstep so far. That they haven't says a lot about their priorities.

Another thing - I expected more. Atari links up with the best modern Atari programmers and they make Mr. Run And Jump? It's a cute game, but it's not moving the needle or building upon the foundation that AA already created. How does AA put out more games than Atari? At least the peripherals have been cool - the two button controller is great - but that's been the high point for me.

I don't think Atari really cares about AA aside from trying to promote the 2600+ and that's a good thing. Atari has their corner of the forums and it's business as usual on the rest of the site.

• Like 2