IGNORED

GTA6 may require facial recognition to play it

dudeguy

You'd be better off going back to the first three Saints Row games. I oppose the facial recognition crap on principle, and that isn't going into the fact that it could be used to spy on end users. Looks like Rockstar is trying to outdo Deep Silver and Volition in terms of killing their credibility and best seller.

16 hours ago, famicommander said:

Meh, I'm pretty much done with this series anyway. GTA IV is one of the worst games of all time and GTA V is a boring, sprawling mess.

Vice City and Chinatown Wars were the high points of the franchise.

never played V or Chinatown but I agree with your other points. GTA3 was my favorite but all of the ones on the PS2 were great

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dudeguy said:

never played V or Chinatown but I agree with your other points. GTA3 was my favorite but all of the ones on the PS2 were great

San Andreas was the beginning of the end. Far too much empty, worthless space on the map. Sims-style stat management was a bad and annoying addition as well. Besides the soundtrack and the ability to swim San Andreas didn't really add anything good to the franchise.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, famicommander said:

San Andreas was the beginning of the end. Far too much empty, worthless space on the map. Sims-style stat management was a bad and annoying addition as well. Besides the soundtrack and the ability to swim San Andreas didn't really add anything good to the franchise.

I agree with all of that 100%. It was one of the first games I've played where they stretched out the playing area "just because".

citation needed. 

I've checked several articles, so far this looks like randos whispering on the internet. the OP 'MrBossFTW' video says nothing substantial about GTA6 specifically, just the esrb. I suspect it's dropping buzzwords fishing for more rageclix

The ESRB is a US-only, 100% voluntary, content-rating organization--that's all they currently do, and all I've ever heard them wanting to do. Age-enforcement is pretty far from content rating. It was created by the ESA, which is a software cartel, to remove some temporary political heat (in the easiest way possible) and that heat mostly hasn't resurfaced since the 90's ended.

But for the purpose of continuing conversation, let's say something like this is being considered.  It'd probably be requirements for continued use of ESRB marks, but it kind of falls apart, since ESRB more deals with designers than platforms, but implementation would be better at the platform-level. Besides, we can all think of enough edge cases out there that anything in the ballpark of what's suggested in the video would need to remain 'optionally parentally-enabled.' Baby-faced among us aside, parenting wouldn't ever be absolutely-overruled by a software cartel. 

The reason ESRB would tread really carefully, outside of their ratings being totally optional, is that this could easily become another scenario where legitimate products become artificially inferior to their pirated counterparts, and over the last 20 years or so we've seen similar moves gut entire major media industries. IMO, it wouldn't really be the ESRB's place to expand their mission like that. And it wouldn't really be in secret whispers, since their member-companies, likely including some games-media companies, would be providing input/feedback. Besides, what IS in the ESA's wheelhouse is limiting piracy.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Ok filing this so far in the EGM tier of bs quarterloser level of rumor mill stuff before saying this much.

IF this is real...

I would never play the game if I were still a fan of the franchise, furthermore, out of spite, I would also just not buy their games at all anymore period from the company who did this (Rockstar) or any other as well.  I consider this a breach of privacy and a bridge too damn far when it comes to usage of personal property.  It's a game, not a vault with multiple tiers of security that would be that necessary.

I also won't as it stands now buy games that are single player only yet require an online connection just to work -- that crap goes to far as well, and I put this in the same box with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I just got an av famicom and 2 more fc carts just after in the mail putting me over 50

NO login

NO password 

NO load screens

NO IAP/dlc/micro transactions/loot boxes

I can get a few games in before someone else gets started and can play if the internet goes down too. They drive here more by the year and I’m fine with it. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I don't understand how it would work anyway. PCs and consoles don't necessarily have a camera to begin with.

Mobile phone, login to your console account.  Kind of like what some mocked NIntendo for a few years back requiring that for some online play with something either on WiiU or Switch, I forget which.  Seems like that would be the easiest mechanic to juggle that won't force them to sell cameras attached to the system or otherwise.

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Mobile phone, login to your console account.  Kind of like what some mocked NIntendo for a few years back requiring that for some online play with something either on WiiU or Switch, I forget which.  Seems like that would be the easiest mechanic to juggle that won't force them to sell cameras attached to the system or otherwise.

The Nintendo app is for the Switch, but it's only to chat while playing, it is not mandatory AT ALL.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2023 at 10:51 AM, famicommander said:

Meh, I'm pretty much done with this series anyway. GTA IV is one of the worst games of all time and GTA V is a boring, sprawling mess.

Vice City and Chinatown Wars were the high points of the franchise.

What makes IV one of the worst games of all time? That's an extremely bold statement. Obviously to each their own, but I'm extremely curious about what you have to say in regards to this.

1 hour ago, RetroSonicHero said:

What makes IV one of the worst games of all time? That's an extremely bold statement. Obviously to each their own, but I'm extremely curious about what you have to say in regards to this.

Horrible, self-serious story with awful nobody actors doing really bad imitations of generic Eastern European accents. Previous GTA games were tongue in cheek with excellent voice casts. Vice City had Ray Liotta, Luiz Guzman, Gary Busey, Fairuza Balk, Danny Trejo, Burt Reynolds, Jenna Jameson, Danny Dyer, Philip Michael Thomas, Tom Sizemore, William Fichtner, Miss Cleo, and Dennis freaking Hopper. The story was a parody of 80s gangster films like Scarface. GTA IV is some pretentious American dream nonsense except your main character is just as big of an unrelatable sociopath as any other GTA protagonist so there's no emotional investment at all. I hate literally every single character in GTA IV.

Horrible driving controls. Everything feels like driving a boat and if you hit somebody going 12 MPH you get ejected from the windshield. 

Stupid mission structure. Drive 15 minutes to location A, talk to a guy, drive 20 minutes to location B, and if you fail you start over. It's all fluff. The map is ridiculously big for no reason other than they could make it so big and pat themselves on the back for it. It doesn't lend itself well to the gameplay at all. 

Annoying in-game relationships. Who the hell wants a digital girlfriend to call them on a fake cell phone during a gunfight to tell him to change his stupid shirt? Who the hell wants to maintain fake digital friendships by going bowling with needy NPCs?

It's an ugly mess of a game. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, famicommander said:

Horrible, self-serious story with awful nobody actors doing really bad imitations of generic Eastern European accents.

Yeah, the accents and dialect is completely off - that much is true. But as actors themselves, I was very immersed whenever I played. I just don't think they were the correct choices for the roles.

Horrible driving controls. Everything feels like driving a boat and if you hit somebody going 12 MPH you get ejected from the windshield. 

Subjective, I like how the cars themselves are far more weighted. In the earlier games, you could take a corner at extremely high speeds. It was far more arcadey, which some people prefer and that is fine, but the added weightiness to GTA IVs driving made the cars feel more grounded. Did they overdo it? Yes. Are the suspensions of most of the cars too soft? Correct. But to me it was a step in the right direction. That being said, it is odd that Niko very rarely wore a seatbelt from the looks of things. V definitely improved on this, as getting ejected was far less common.

Stupid mission structure. Drive 15 minutes to location A, talk to a guy, drive 20 minutes to location B, and if you fail you start over.

How far did you get into the game? Most of the later missions don't play out like this at all, and are far more involved and interesting. I'll admit the game itself starts off pretty slow, but that's done in order to ease the player into the experience. They can't assume everyone playing is a GTA veteran - there needs to be a transitionary period. And furthermore, if every mission was extremely action packed and involved, it would feel oversaturated. Moments like this help you appreciate those kinds of missions, and they balance the game out by having slower parts. 

The game itself has a much darker tone than every single game before it, so they wanted the story itself to feel more believable. This was one of the ways they did that. And whether or not you think they were successful is down to personal taste. But one thing's for sure, it doesn't make logical sense to have every mission action packed and over the top.

Also, this specific mission structure you describe was present in every single game before it to an extent, and the problem was accentuated. III had it pretty bad, and it was also mildly present in Vice City. For Vice City it was more palatable since these missions are generally few and far between and the map is small, but you still lost all your weapons if you died. What does that mean then? Well, you could take a taxi at the hospital which transported you right back to the mission marker. But more realistically, you were reloading from a save. Many, many of the later missions in the game required you to have a decent arsenal at your disposal, and you lost all your weapons whenever you died. Any time you failed a mission, you could EASILY spend around 5-10 more minutes retrying it. If you fail a mission in IV, you could retry it immediately.

Annoying in-game relationships. Who the hell wants a digital girlfriend to call them on a fake cell phone during a gunfight to tell him to change his stupid shirt? Who the hell wants to maintain fake digital friendships by going bowling with needy NPCs?

I'm sorry to say, but your are greatly exaggerating this.

1. The phone calls can be turned off at any time, it does indeed pause story progression in most cases, but if you are trying to concentrate on something else it is a good solution.

2. The actual time you need to spend with these people is often very low or downright optional. In order to get most of your "friends" to like you, you typically only need to hang out with them for a couple of times. And the reward is worth it 8/10 times. For Jacob, you get a portable gun shop. For one of the girlfriends, she heals you just by calling her - etc, etc. The only one that's somewhat required AFAIK is Michelle. And she is such a small part of the game in the grand scheme of things.

3. As for a "girlfriend calling in the middle of a gunfight to tell you to change your shirt", you are going to have to tell me when that actually happened to you. Because from my experience, the only time they are ever going to comment on your apparel, car choice, or something else is during a date. Never before have I seen them call me for something like this, and I have at least 80 hours on the game.

4. Needy NPCs? The calls are fairly infrequent, and its not like these minigames are required in the grand scheme of things. See point 1 and 2.

Edited by RetroSonicHero