IGNORED

Harmony Cart not found

santoscork

Hello

I tried to find this topic but haven't been able to. I received my Harmony Encore a few days ago. To make a long story short, I have one issue, I connected the Harmony to my mac and it's not detected by the system, nor via cable. The cables are my own and I have tried two. I reset the PRAM and SMC on the mac but the Harmony remains unseen by the system. I tried with and without an SDCard in the cart but it doesn't change anything.

The Mac is running Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6

Are there any known work arounds?

It doesn't appear to be detected by my Atari 2600 Vader. The 2600 (PAL version) has a new power adapter. I don't have another cartridge to test the 2600 with and it too was recently acquired. Unless I am using the Harmony incorrectly. The SDCard is a 128GB, in FAT32, maybe it's too large? I downloaded software from here: Latest Harmony Cart software - Harmony Cartridge - AtariAge Forums

Screen Shot 2023-09-15 at 23.37.24.png

Edited by santoscork
added system configuration.

Connect an SD card to your computer. This will normally require an SD card reader or adapter. Only SD (and SDHC) cards up to 32GB are supported. Older MMC cards and micro-SD cards (with an SD adapter) may not work reliably. A 1GB SD card is sufficient to hold every Atari 2600 title ever produced

harmony_manual_v2_online.pdf (atariage.com)

On 9/15/2023 at 4:28 PM, santoscork said:

the Harmony remains unseen by the system.

Need to install the FTDI driver. I believe you'll need version 2.4.2.

Screenshot2023-09-17at4_50_39PM.thumb.png.80070a41223a439e8a16353c1b07de98.png

I recently bought a Mac Studio and am not having luck getting my Harmony detected in it.  I tried installing the Beta 1.5.0 driver, but no luck. Not totally surprised as Ventura is macOS 13, not 11 or 12.

I was asked by @batari to try the following after I couldn't get it to work.

Sorry for the delay.

Yes, Apple does make it a bit difficult!

Here is a page about how to get the CH341 driver working on a Mac.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-install-ch340-drivers/all#mac-osx

I have not personally tried it myself but others have reported success to me.

The installation went without a hitch but the harmony cart remains undetected by System Profiler on the Mac. I tried two working USB cables.

Question:

1) Do I need to have the SD Card inserted into the Harmony? The cart is not detected with or without an SD Card inserted.

2) According to the manual, as reinforced by @bent_pin I should be using a 32GB SD Card and not a minroSD card. The site for Harmony Encore does state the MicroSD Cards work on the encore. That said I have a 128GB microSD card connected.

I will order a 32GB SD Card, not a microSD and report back but so far with what I have.

My configuration:

Harmony Encore

Mac OS X 10.13.6

microSD card 128GB size

Other:

See attachments
When the Harmony is not connected and I enter "ls /dev/cu" in the terminal,  "/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port" is output

When the Harmony is connected and I enter "ls /dev/cu" in the terminal "/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port /dev/cu.wchusbserialfd130" is output

These outputs don't depend on whether an SDCard is attached to the cart or not.

Any further ideas?

Extensions » ls /dev/cu*                                  /Library/Extensions

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port /dev/cu.wchusbserialfd130

Screen Shot 2023-09-25 at 12.52.23.png

Sorry, no other ideas.  My Studio does see both of my Harmony carts. When nothing is plugged in:

darrellspice@Mac-Studio /dev % ls cu*

cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port cu.IHP

System Information (in Applications/Utilities):

Screenshot2023-09-25at9_12_34AM.thumb.png.140078fe62f573578b73a89185b6d9aa.png

Original Harmony plugged in:

cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port cu.usbserial-3

cu.IHP cu.usbserial-410

System Information:

Screenshot2023-09-25at9_12_47AM.thumb.png.13c04df37d78f312064cb3165b662764.png

Harmony Encore plugged in:

cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port cu.usbserial-3

cu.IHP cu.usbserial-510

System Information:

image.thumb.png.7dc77d35371542d32ded55e3ecdbae65.png

the Harmony Cart software does not detect the Harmony nor the Encore:

image.thumb.png.babb069f77851d18bc82c4a33ff5fdc2.png

so I'm currently using my Linux/Windows laptop while I work on Frantic.  I've been testing it flashed direct to the Harmony and via the menu on the Encore.

When I flash the Harmony I do not have an SD card in it. I'm using an 8 GB micro SD card with an SD card adapter.

IMG_3907.thumb.jpeg.37c227a638410f39fe613cd3cf0c69c0.jpeg

On 9/15/2023 at 5:28 PM, santoscork said:

The cables are my own and I have tried two.

3 hours ago, santoscork said:

I tried two working USB cables.

Have you verified the data functionality of these cables using other devices? I lost count of how many times I had users change out their cables on uC forums and it fixed the problem.

21 hours ago, santoscork said:

I will try 2.4.2 as suggested by @SpiceWare. I will report back after a restart (for good measure) as it just installed.

Screen Shot 2023-09-25 at 12.59.23.png

I want to make it clear that the FTDI chip was used on cartridges until around April 2020. Since April 2020, the WCH CH340 chip has been used in all devices.

21 hours ago, santoscork said:

When the Harmony is not connected and I enter "ls /dev/cu" in the terminal,  "/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port" is output

When the Harmony is connected and I enter "ls /dev/cu" in the terminal "/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port /dev/cu.wchusbserialfd130" is output

These outputs don't depend on whether an SDCard is attached to the cart or not.

Any further ideas?

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port

/dev/cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port /dev/cu.wchusbserialfd130

From the above, it appears that the driver installation was successful. If you are seeing a "usbserial" device appear after plugging in your Harmony, the driver is working properly. However, I find the name "wchusbserial" to be concerning, so I wonder if that is the problem.

First, try: ls /dev/tty.*

Do you see a device called /dev/tty.wchusbserialfd130?

If so, that could be the problem. The software searches for /dev/tty.usb* but if the driver is using /dev/tty.wchusb* then the cart will not be found.

If this is the case, create a symlink:

sudo ln -sf /dev/tty.wchusb* /dev/tty.usbHarmony

Hopefully with the symlink, the software can find the device.

• 2 months later...

Yeah. I am also having this problem. Did any of this ever get solved for OP ? 

I have the FTDI driver installed (for ARM), I've restarted to ensure the kext is loaded, I've approved the kext.

my harmony is on the USB bus, but nothing detects it. On macOS 14. Multiple USB cables. I'm really wondering if this all works past macOS 12 or so. 

some of the screenshots in thread are from ancient looking macOS's. 

image.thumb.png.71a8951a93b67ae2e437e2625ff22744.pngimage.thumb.png.1ca86d5eff981f9459c47ebb2559fbd3.pngimage.thumb.png.00ee5687c65449ce25f3e2491a115d2d.png

Edited by tradyblix

On 12/6/2023 at 5:43 PM, tradyblix said:

Yeah. I am also having this problem. Did any of this ever get solved for OP ? 

I have the FTDI driver installed (for ARM), I've restarted to ensure the kext is loaded, I've approved the kext.

my harmony is on the USB bus, but nothing detects it. On macOS 14. Multiple USB cables. I'm really wondering if this all works past macOS 12 or so. 

some of the screenshots in thread are from ancient looking macOS's. 

image.thumb.png.71a8951a93b67ae2e437e2625ff22744.pngimage.thumb.png.1ca86d5eff981f9459c47ebb2559fbd3.pngimage.thumb.png.00ee5687c65449ce25f3e2491a115d2d.png

I know it’s the same error message but I think you have a different issue. Your cable seems to work and the drivers seem fine, provided you can verify that one of the usbserial devices disappears when the cart is unplugged. 

first thing to try is go device->connect from the pull-down menu. This is needed if the cart is plugged in with the software already running. 

if this fails, your cart may need to be sent back for repair. 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...