IGNORED

Feedback on my vertical wall color

Aloan

image.thumb.png.451dcf0a67b90b7a2b7e76734efd5029.png
Hi guys, wanted to get feedback on this bedroom regarding the vertical walls on the side!
They are (in this case) missiles.
I read that missile0 assumes the color of player0, but since the main char is multi-color, what color from the character does the missile assume in this particular scene?
Else, is there a way around getting the side walls to be the same color as the room walls? (blue) or will I have to ditch the multi colored player sprite and make it the

same color as the wall (blue) in order for the side walls to be blue? thanks

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The missile will have the same color as the player in this line. So the walls will be multicolored there. 

What are the room walls? I only see blue walls.

The walls behind the TV are the room walls (playfield). The red carpet and the scenery outside the windows are the multi-colored background.
The queen size bed and the wardrobe are part of the playfield... Now the missiles are the vertical strip on both edges/sides.. they are Here the same color as the back walls with windows!
But because I think the missile colors are wrong (on the mockup), because they can´t get the PF colors (only the ball) that´s why I asked...

Edited by Aloan

8 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

No, that's the background then.

I see what you mean now... I´ll have to see how I will have to go about this... but gack to the missile question... looking at my character, the guy standing...
maybe the easiest way out is to not build vertical walls at all huh?
I know that the score and numbers need work too.. I´m leaving it for last, but that I know how to fix.. just keep them up top for example.
So, but, wait, you´re telling me that the background can only ocupy all 160 color clocks on the screen... it can´t just be drawn in the middle like I did together with the walls

Edited by Aloan

23 minutes ago, Aloan said:

I see what you mean now... I´ll have to see how I will have to go about this... but gack to the missile question... looking at my character, the guy standing...
maybe the easiest way out is to not build vertical walls at all huh?

You could try mixing PF and BK colors.. That way you can create more than just two colors.

23 minutes ago, Aloan said:

So, but, wait, you´re telling me that the background can only ocupy all 160 color clocks on the screen... it can´t just be drawn in the middle like I did together with the walls

The background is not drawn, it is just there on the whole screen. All other objects (PF, players, missiles, ball) are drawn on top of it. 

12 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

You could try mixing PF and BK colors.. That way you can create more than just two colors.

The background is not drawn, it is just there on the whole screen. All other objects (PF, players, missiles, ball) are drawn on top of it. 

right (so it takes all 160 color clocks) but You can multi color the background at each scanline like I did on the sky.
It´s because I thought you could do a wait on the background just like you can on a PF.. (racing the beam)
like only start drawing when you want.. so it seems you cannot do that with the background according to you.
I always had it to me that the backgound is indeed its own thing, even though all we can do with it is change its color on each scanline.
That´s why on my webpage I teach that the Atari 2600 has 7 objects
1- background
2-PF
3-player0
4-player1
5-missile0
6-missile1
7-ball

Edited by Aloan

On 9/17/2023 at 1:54 PM, Aloan said:

I always had it to me that the backgound is indeed its own thing, even though all we can do with it is change its color on each scanline.

Well it doesn’t for instance have collision detection or a location. You can change the background color mid scan line if you have spare cycles and can commit to racing the beam but it’s definitely a pricey trade off