IGNORED

Gamestation Pro

Dr Karnov

59 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

I just bought one of these, and should get it tomorrow afternoon... pretty excited. I'm really looking forward to being able to play Atari 5200 games. Big thing for me was during the Christmas of (some year in the 80s), my parents bought an Atari 5200... but the joysticks didn't work, so they returned it. We only got to play a few games on it, and I remember Pac Man was unbelievably better than the Atari 2600, along with some other games (like Moon Patrol). My mom never went back to get a new one, just returned it and that was that... I was so bummed... so the 5200 was the one that "got away!"

Had a 5200 when they were new also.  My favorite console of all time.  Put all the roms on my Gamestation Pro (I do own all but 2 of the original 69 carts) as well as a lot of homebrew and 8 bit computer conversions.  Some of the conversions hang at startup for me but all the other stuff seems to work fine.  If you like PacMan you need to check out PacMan Arcade 

I bought it on cart when it first came out.  It is great!

Edited by tlgrooms
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, diamax said:

Did someone tried to test if the Champ games rom are playable with the GSP, if you don't have you can download the roms on their website , https://champ.games/downloads

Thanks for the link.  I haven't tried them yet but will try a couple tonight and let you know.  

Edited by tlgrooms
  • Like 1

With how old the MAME build is, if this is using Stella like I'm assuming it is for 2600 games, it's undoubtedly a very old build just like the Retron 77 shipped with that isn't going to be compatible with those releases.

It doesn't hurt to check it though, but I really doubt that it's going to work.

Edited by Atariboy

Anyone get the "In The Hunt" arcade game to work with sound on their GSP? I downloaded/tried both the MAME 2003 and MAME 2003 Plus file (inthunt.zip) but neither play sound. I have a feeling it needs a corresponding samples file like Donkey Kong or Zaxxon needs, but unlike those games, I can't find the sample sound file anywhere! The Zaxxon and Donkey Kong sample sound files were extremely easy to find.

If anyone has the sample sound zip file for In The Hunt or can tell me where to get it, or can tell me how to get it to work with full blown sound, let me know! I exhausted my Google Fu skills!

2 hours ago, Mocotechprfl said:

Anyone get the "In The Hunt" arcade game to work with sound on their GSP? I downloaded/tried both the MAME 2003 and MAME 2003 Plus file (inthunt.zip) but neither play sound. I have a feeling it needs a corresponding samples file like Donkey Kong or Zaxxon needs, but unlike those games, I can't find the sample sound file anywhere! The Zaxxon and Donkey Kong sample sound files were extremely easy to find.

If anyone has the sample sound zip file for In The Hunt or can tell me where to get it, or can tell me how to get it to work with full blown sound, let me know! I exhausted my Google Fu skills!

It doesn't look like it requires sound samples.  Runs slow as crap on my firestick.  Crashes on my xbox one.  :lol:  So scratch this one up as a head scratcher.

5 hours ago, Atariboy said:

With how old the MAME build is, if this is using Stella like I'm assuming it is for 2600 games, it's undoubtedly a very old build just like the Retron 77 shipped with that isn't going to be compatible with those releases.

It doesn't hurt to check it though, but I really doubt that it's going to work.

Actually, it's apparently running a relatively recent build.  Space Rocks works.  Scramble works.

• Like 2

The demos  of Elevator Agent and Turbo Arcade didn't work.

Hopefully the promised firmware update will give us paging support in the SD card browser using left and right on the stick.  An attached keyboard works for directional inputs, but unfortunately pageup and pagedown don't work.

• Like 1

I've written about this before, but I used to Christmas shop with my parents. One night we were at our nearby Macy's which was always a beautiful store with gorgeous Christmas trees & ornaments. They had an Atari 5200 demo station and Pacman was playing. I was absolutely blown away in that all I had was the terrible Atari 2600 version.

It's just one of those nice memories & playing the Atari 5200 version always reminds me of that time. To me it's a beautiful game in it's own right. Great to play it on the the GSP and the sticks to me have sort of a similar throw to the Atari 5200 ones. 

Will have to check out the Pacman arcade game that someone mentioned earlier. Looks great! It's amazing the homebrew that people make for these 40 year old systems. 

Edited by the4thman
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, tlgrooms said:

Had a 5200 when they were new also.  My favorite console of all time.  Put all the roms on my Gamestation Pro (I do own all but 2 of the original 69 carts) as well as a lot of homebrew and 8 bit computer conversions.  Some of the conversions hang at startup for me but all the other stuff seems to work fine.  If you like PacMan you need to check out PacMan Arcade 

I bought it on cart when it first came out.  It is great!

Oh man, that looks fantastic!!! I'm really looking forward to being able to play 5200 games... I'm psyched. It's also crazy that I just ordered it today, and it's coming tomorrow...

Thanks for the video!!!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

Oh man, that looks fantastic!!! I'm really looking forward to being able to play 5200 games... I'm psyched. It's also crazy that I just ordered it today, and it's coming tomorrow...

Thanks for the video!!!

I love mine.  It's small and convenient to move around.  Wish it supported different folders for all the files but other than that I have really been enjoying it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pacsonic75 said:

Hi there! I'm enjoying the Gamestation Pro and have loaded up some Atari 2600 roms. I was curious. Are we able to emulate the switching of the Atari 2600 B&W/COLOR and DIFFICULTY switches via buttons on the controllers or any controllers for that matter?

Press/release the button on the back of the controller facing your TV to display a menu where you can change the switch settings. It also pauses the game too which is a great feature. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2023 at 7:23 PM, SoundGammon said:

Someone posted a background/pic hack for the background in Space Invaders.

Using the 2600 cover artwork:

invaders.png

This reminds me of Boston album cover. Hmm, is there way make that happen?

Edited by Bakasama
  • Like 1

I'm really enjoying the Gamestation Pro. I just spent about 30 minutes playing it with my daughter... both Combat, MazeCraze, etc...

She saw breakout and immediately started to play, to the point that she had commandeered the TV for the next 15 minutes or so (the GSP is sitting right on top of my VCS).

IMG_6139.thumb.JPG.7eeec1b67c5aaee75c21cfa5a734f78b.JPG

Quick question, so I know that if I want to load up ROMs, they need to be copied into the Games folder. Is there a way to pre-populate / load background images? I haven't done it yet, so I don't know what the games look like. I assume they just show up in whatever the respective folder is. Anyone have a good video on this? I mean, I can copy the files, just curious if someone has detailed the process.

I assume it's Windows format FAT32... or does it need to be in some special Linux format?

• Like 3

23 hours ago, fluxit said:

Hopefully the promised firmware update will give us paging support in the SD card browser using left and right on the stick.  An attached keyboard works for directional inputs, but unfortunately pageup and pagedown don't work.

Oops.  It must have been a glitch when I couldn't page back and forth with left and right. I know I tried it at least once when it didn't work, probably twice.

I glad that it *does* actually work already- at least some of the time.😁

Out of curiosity, and considering the current situation with the 2600+ regarding PAL 7800 cart compatibility, I tried the PAL 7800 original releases on the GsP. 

The GsP must be using a similar build of the ProSystem emulator, because it has the same issues with PAL roms that the 2600+ has with PAL carts.

4 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

I'm really enjoying the Gamestation Pro. I just spent about 30 minutes playing it with my daughter... both Combat, MazeCraze, etc...

She saw breakout and immediately started to play, to the point that she had commandeered the TV for the next 15 minutes or so (the GSP is sitting right on top of my VCS).

IMG_6139.thumb.JPG.7eeec1b67c5aaee75c21cfa5a734f78b.JPG

Quick question, so I know that if I want to load up ROMs, they need to be copied into the Games folder. Is there a way to pre-populate / load background images? I haven't done it yet, so I don't know what the games look like. I assume they just show up in whatever the respective folder is. Anyone have a good video on this? I mean, I can copy the files, just curious if someone has detailed the process.

I assume it's Windows format FAT32... or does it need to be in some special Linux format?

Here is a link to a great video explaining how to add games to your GSP:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/21/2023 at 12:40 PM, 82-T/A said:

I just bought one of these, and should get it tomorrow afternoon... pretty excited. I'm really looking forward to being able to play Atari 5200 games. Big thing for me was during the Christmas of (some year in the 80s), my parents bought an Atari 5200... but the joysticks didn't work, so they returned it. We only got to play a few games on it, and I remember Pac Man was unbelievably better than the Atari 2600, along with some other games (like Moon Patrol). My mom never went back to get a new one, just returned it and that was that... I was so bummed... so the 5200 was the one that "got away!"

There are some good deals on ebay.

Ebay

On 11/21/2023 at 10:22 AM, Mocotechprfl said:

I tried a couple of weeks age in one of my first posts on this thread and Colecovision games won't play. And actually, the file format isn't even recognized on the SD card at all!

This is what I have tested and plays so far:

Atari 2600, 5200, 7800,

Nintendo NES

Genesis

Gameboy

Gameboy Advance

Arcade

New Geo arcade games

What will not play from what I have tested:

Colecovision

SNES

I am hoping that the firmware upgrade coming out in the next few weeks, that YouTuber GenXGrownUp spoke about in one of his latest videos, will allow the capability of more systems to be added! Crossing my fingers on that.

Hi,

For Mame compatibility, wouldn't you have to use a software list file (coleco.zip)?  I'm really new to the Mame stuff though in general, perhaps it is only doable on PC.

Except I doubt it would work on GSP, given the way the SD is implemented, but I have yet to fire up my GSP to try this since it's supposed to be for Christmas.

9 hours ago, xboxiso said:

Here is a link to a great video explaining how to add games to your GSP:

Awesome, thank you!!!

9 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

There are some good deals on ebay.

Ebay

Hah... yeah... :(

I had a 4-Port, and a 2-Port, both of them complete in box. The 2-Port was actually brand new. That was maybe ~13 years ago... but I ended up selling it all on eBay as I wanted to pair down all the stuff I had. It all just sat on the shelf. I also don't have a CRT anymore (other than two that are in arcade machines), so nothing really that I can play them on. But I have this now (GSP), and my Atari VCS. I also have a couple of 5200 carts still because I couldn't bring myself to get rid of them (Moon Patrol, Qix, and Defender).