IGNORED

Gamestation Pro

Dr Karnov

For those of you who missed Jon's latest video, when you upgrade to firmware v130, you just have to add an "Atari 2600 Paddle" directory in the Games directory and place all 2600 paddle games in it for them to have the full GSP paddle functionality.

Edited by atwwong
Grammar correction.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 12/15/2023 at 11:44 AM, Domeshtan said:

And more progress NeoGeo fans! I started throwing higher values at the Ultra Tank .cfg file for the joysticks and found 2 more buttons than can be mapped. L2 and R2 on the PlayStation Classic. I'm guessing it would map out to "something" on an Xbox controller but I have no idea what. 

So the new button values to add to the list... 

71=Player 1 L2

72=Player 1 R2

81=Player 2 L2

82=Player 2 R2

So there is another Ultra Tank .cfg if someone wants to try it out. (Mainly wondering what L2 and R2 map out to on an Xbox controller if someone wants me to tweak a NeoGeo setting to work better for them) Ultra Tank now has Player 1 L2 for Open Field/Walls and Mines, Player 2 L2 for Steerable Shells or the Bounce Shells, and R2 on both controllers for Fire.

So... NeoGeo. The 4th D button was missing in the games. Now it's mapped...

X=NeoGeo A

O=NeoGeo B

Triangle=NeoGeo C

R2=NeoGeo D (Close as I could get)

I also found out looking at other NeoGeo .cfgs they looked identical. (This .cfg is for World Hero's Perfect) 

I renamed it and the 4th D button worked on 3 other games. So it seems just rename the .cfg to the ROM name of the game you are playing. 

whp.cfg 1.69 kB · 1 download ultratnk.cfg 1.26 kB · 1 download

Hey Domeshtan, thanks for that whp.cfg file! I have an Xbox Elite Wireless Controller 2 and that worked like a champ!

The 4th D button maps to the right bumper of the Xbox controller and it works perfectly! 

I have a bunch of Neo Geo games and plan to rename some of the other config files to get this same button mapping confoguration!

---- Mocotechprfl ----

One more follow-up to my previous post.

Domeshtan, I took your advice and copied the whp.cfg file to a few other Neo Geo config file games that I had. Before that of course, I backed up the existing config files in case there were issues. Luckily, this solution worked like a champ for every single Neo Geo game that I tried. You are pure genius, thank you for this solution!

Below is the list of Neo Geo arcade games that use a D button, where I did your solution of copying the cfg file to the appropriate file name, and every one of them worked without problems. The game name and the corresponding ZIP file are below:
Art of Fighting 1 (aof.zip)
Art of Fighting 2 (aof2,zip)
Art of Fighting 3 (aof3.zip)
Breakers (breakers.zip)
Galaxy Fighters (galaxyfg.zip)
King of Fighters 96 (kof96.zip)
King of Fighters 98 (kof98.zip)
Last Blade 1 (lastblad.zip)
Last Blade 2 (lastblad2.zip)
Sengoku 2 (sengoku2.zip)
Shocktro 1 (shocktro.zip)

Note again that I tested these games using my XBox Elite Series 2 controller, and the D button maps to the right bumper.

A is still the A button

B is still the B button

C is still the X button

D is the right bumper

And of course, the Y button is still the GSP's Save/Pause button!

---- Mocotechprfl ----

Hi everyone, I just wanted to share a new product I made for the gamestation pro controllers.  It's a controller coupler to allow you to play many games that take advantage of two joysticks.  You can PM me directly for $23 shipping included or if you prefer to shop through a store you can find it here https://www.etsy.com/listing/1637045841/gamestation-pro-controller-coupler 

image.thumb.jpeg.c3da72e5c5ca86c63a5a3fba35ec008b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.530f6685e91d6ee997eb0667a32e096f.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4430496d66b43c59873b091ad19403eb.jpeg

Thanks,
Caleb

www.8bitwidgets.com

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Domeshtan said:

Watching his latest video and knowing about the Super Nintendo A button missing I am pretty sure that menu button would map out to 70 (on a Mame .cfg file anyway). It's the only value missing in the range of mapped controls. 70 for player 1, 80 for player 2.

It's too bad that the SNES and TG games don't appear to utilize cfg files. If they did, it would make it so much easier!

4 hours ago, Mocotechprfl said:

It's too bad that the SNES and TG games don't appear to utilize cfg files. If they did, it would make it so much easier!

If they modified their kornshell script to call a retroarch.cfg file in the SD folder based on the game selected that would be great.  In fact the script could be modified to use the default ones they have setup if no such file exists on the SD card.  Also they never created a retroarch.cfg specifically for the SNES.  I guess an oversight on their part.

I was thinking something similar.  There's no reason why we can't mirror the contents of /usr/lib/libretro/retroarch to the SD card in, say /retroarch, and then edit start_local_sd.sh to have it check for that directory, then use those config files instead of the ones in the squashfs if the directory exists on the SD card.

sfc.cfg is the config file for the SNES.

Edited by fluxit

2 hours ago, fluxit said:

I was thinking something similar.  There's no reason why we can't mirror the contents of /usr/lib/libretro/retroarch to the SD card in, say /retroarch, and then edit start_local_sd.sh to have it check for that directory, then use those config files instead of the ones in the squashfs if the directory exists on the SD card.

sfc.cfg is the config file for the SNES.

Doi.  Don't know how I missed that one.

16 hours ago, Mocotechprfl said:

Note again that I tested these games using my XBox Elite Series 2 controller, and the D button maps to the right bumper.

A is still the A button

B is still the B button

C is still the X button

D is the right bumper

And of course, the Y button is still the GSP's Save/Pause button!

Sounds almost identical to my PS Classic controller. Only difference would be they have 2 buttons swapped around. X and Y on your Xbox controller. (Square and Triangle on mine). I'm guessing the L2 button on mine would probably map out to the left bumper on the Xbox controller.

On 12/15/2023 at 5:55 PM, Domeshtan said:

Yep, just MAME .cfg files. I don't see anything I can tweak for joystick controls on other systems.

Can you make a robotron.cfg file for player 1 to use 2 joysticks? Currently the arcade game uses stick one like this:

GSP stick #1 P1:
up = move
down = move
left = move 
right = move
A = fire down
B = fire left
C = fire up

To use both sticks:

up = P1 move up
down = P1 move down
left = P1 move left
right = P1 move right
A = P2 down, fire down
B = P2 left, fire left
C = P2 up, fire up
D = P2 right, fire right

where D would probably be the next button after the C button.

51 minutes ago, Atari8264 said:

Can you make a robotron.cfg file for player 1 to use 2 joysticks?

Yeah, I should be able to throw together some dual joystick .cfg files. I don't know if I will get around to it today. Too bad they got that square button mapped for the menu on my PS Classic controller. I could make the games run on one controller nicely if it didn't bring up the menu but I can't change that one. 

• Like 2

Thanks.  I need to call my local one then.  I'm basically living the mid 80s cheesy rap commercial right now in my head.  Under 50 bucks?  50 bucks?  Now isn't that nice.  It's the 2600 from Ah-tar-ee.  :)

edit:  Called and no way to talk to anyone in the relevant department... not even an option on their digital voice carousel.  :(

Edited by LatchKeyKid

On 10/26/2023 at 11:23 AM, SoulBlazer said:

Hello all!

I'm very pleased to report that despite what 8BitDo told me that this controller came today and it works just great with the Gamestation Pro in A mode.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XY86472?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I will let 8BitDo know as well.

I would STILL have preferred to get an Atari Modern Controller -- as it matches the look of the system and is also an Atari licensee product -- but I'll wait for someone else to take the chance and buy one and report in. :)

Has anyone else had any success getting the 8Bitdo Pro 2 to work on the Gamestation? I'm not having any luck.

Here's my preliminary edit to the end of start_local_sd.sh to allow for the modification or replacement of retroarch configs.  It is untested, and I am asking for critiques, requests and comments:

if [ -d /mnt/sdcard/Games ]; then
    if [ ! -d /mnt/sdcard/retroarch ]; then
     #create cfgs mirror, should only happen once per card
     mkdir /mnt/sdcard/retroarch
     cp -r /usr/lib/libretro/retroarch/* /mnt/sdcard/retroarch
    else
     if [ "$2" == 15 ]; then
      #my preference, we can test for and add other options per stella rom here
      /usr/bin/stella -tv.phosphor always -tv.phosblend 50 $3 "$4"
     else
      #anyone know what -k and -y are for? No help in the --help
      /usr/bin/retroarch -y "12"\
      -k "$1"\
      #-c "$3"\
      -c /mnt/sdcard/retroarch \
      #we could load alternate libs from sdcard here
      -L /usr/lib/libretro/$GAME_LIB "$4"
     fi
    fi
else
#no sdcard, or card not prepared/readable(no Games folder)
#on the first run, should simply return to menu without starting game after creating mirror
 if [ "$2" == 15 ]; then
  /usr/bin/stella $3 "$4"
 else
    -k "$1"\
    -c "$3"\
 fi
fi

Don't be afraid to offend me if I've made (m)any obvious errors.  I've not written a proper script in years.

If this works, it can be made into a tiny firmware patch to be applied to v1.30  update.

Edited by fluxit
Found an error on umpteenth read, maybe more=D

18 minutes ago, fluxit said:

Here's my preliminary edit to the end of start_local_sd.sh to allow for the modification or replacement of retroarch configs.  It is untested, and I am asking for critiques, requests and comments:

else
     if [ "$2" == 15 ]; then
     else
      -k "$1"\
      #-c "$3"\
      -c /mnt/sdcard/retroarch
     fi
    fi
else
#on the first run, should simply return to menu without starting game after creating mirror
 if [ "$2" == 15 ]; then
  /usr/bin/stella $3 "$4"
 else
    -k "$1"\
    -c "$3"\
 fi
fi

Don't be afraid to offend me if I've made (m)any obvious errors.  I've not written a proper script in years.

If this works, it can be made into a tiny firmware patch to be applied to v1.30  update.

It might be worth posting a new thread with a title in reference to retroarch scripts to get people of a certain skills set to review your work, but awesome for putting something forward!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fluxit said:

else
     if [ "$2" == 15 ]; then
     else
      -k "$1"\
      #-c "$3"\
      -c /mnt/sdcard/retroarch \
     fi
    fi
else
 if [ "$2" == 15 ]; then
  /usr/bin/stella $3 "$4"
 else
    -k "$1"\
    -c "$3"\
 fi
fi

Oops, can't break continued(\) lines with comments.  The line is not continued, and the comment is no longer treated as a comment.

• Like 2