IGNORED

Gamestation Pro

Dr Karnov

Remapping update:

(mostly beneficial separate from Mame, as making your own cfg using Mame 2003 should be easier, but things to know if remapping otherwise) 

1. Whatever config file you pass in the retroarch command line can directly impact how the Core remap file behaves.

2. In Core remap, I could assign L3 to what Y should be independent of the GSP-SAVE interrupt. I could not find a way to do this with the primary config file alone (so far).
    So in the main config, Y was 306, and in Core remap I could assign "1" (normally Y) to L3, and set Y to something unrecognized, then the games normal Y button action would instead work when pressing L3. 
    [note, this can be beneficial as some cores recognize the Retroarch Retropad Y button action, so you can alternatively assign L3 or R3 in its place to get around the Y interrupt in GSP] 
    But if Y was something else other than 306 in the original config, the Core remap L3 setting would not do anything set to "1".

3. Syntax slightly different config vs remap, e.g.,
    config cfg : input_player1_y_btn   
    remap rmp  : input_player1_btn_y

Edited by big_guitar
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, THX-1138 said:

I took the image from X and upped the exposure.  It looks like a tabletop arcade to me.
image.thumb.png.2b9495acb6adfe119880b78e092b753a.png

Good job with the image. I tried that with the image posted here on AA but it wasn't detailed enough to see the sides of the device.

To be honest, I'm disappointed with it being another mini arcade. I would rather have a deluxe controller for the GSP instead. I've got several mini arcades and I never play them. At my age these small screens suck (yep I'm old enough for that to be an issue!).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pboland said:

I would rather have a deluxe controller for the GSP instead.

Agreed! 

At my age these small screens suck (yep I'm old enough for that to be an issue!).

I would think this would likely apply to most of us following this thread... rather not have to use 'cheaters' to see the screen. 🙃

My computer monitors aren't tiny, but I'm ultimately wanting to use the GSP with a TV.  Definitely easier to test and troubleshoot with computer KVM for now.

• Like 1

Good job with the image. I tried that with the image posted here on AA but it wasn't detailed enough to see the sides of the device.

To be honest, I'm disappointed with it being another mini arcade. I would rather have a deluxe controller for the GSP instead. I've got several mini arcades and I never play them. At my age these small screens suck (yep I'm old enough for that to be an issue!).

Agreed - although I probably will buy it anyway if it's Atari related.

My 2600/7800 carts are looking fantastic thanks to your labels, I'll never be able to thank you enough for those!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, masterfulp said:

Now plays snes. But wondering if anyone knows of a way to turn off savestate functionality ... natively using Xbox controller y input opens save state menu.. which is problematic as y is required in most snes games. 

GenXGrownup talked about that in one of his YouTube videos. Most likely this would need another firmware update to alleviate that, as it's been a major complaint for both SNES and TurboGrafx.

He talks about it in the "New Platforms" and "Firmware Wishlist" sections of the video.

12 hours ago, Hasan Coskun said:

I updated the firmware to V1.30, with the 2600 version Road Runner, it will run but doesn't allow you to start a game to play, anyone else have this issue?

I'd try a different rom for Road Runner. That doesn't happen here.  The game plays fine on fw 1.30.

21 minutes ago, Hasan Coskun said:

Is there any way to adjust the resolution of vertical games when playing MAME roms? For example, Galaga plays but it stretches the horizontal res so it's full screen. Do I need to add something to the cfg folder?

Look at my post on Page 24 for instructions on how to use the GSPvertical.zip artwork file I created.  This makes a game vertical after following the instructions.

GSPvertical.zip

20 minutes ago, Hasan Coskun said:

Is there any way to adjust the resolution of vertical games when playing MAME roms? For example, Galaga plays but it stretches the horizontal res so it's full screen. Do I need to add something to the cfg folder?

That can be accomplished by the addition of an appropriate Galaga artwork set  to /Games/artwork on your SD card. See

PCE update: I was able to get a TurboGrafx CD game to work on the GSP (Bonk III-USA), but note:

1. This will require fluxit's runme patch
  2. The existing libretro library included with the 1.30 firmware will work, but the GSP system as it is, does not include the proper bios to handle this properly.
    You'll need the syscard3.pce file (Japan version, USA version will not work in this case). 
  3. Your script should manually pass the .cue file to retroarch.
    I recommend the cue file and all bin files to be in their own game-specific folder.

I also was able to configure an xbox controller to work with 6-button games, although there aren't a lot of those 6 button PCE games (mostly fighting games I believe).  The left trigger (recognized properly with xbox controller) is used to switch between 2-button and 6-button modes.  Chris Covell's "PadTest" pce rom recommended for testing.

I can provide additional info later with config/remap files and other instructions if there's interest.

The trigger (only one intentionally recognized by this PCE core) works here where neither LT/RT were recognized properly with FreeIntv. I think there's just an issue with the available arm version of FreeIntv.  

Edited by big_guitar
  • Thanks 1

Other cores tried, TIC-80 (ran mario bros), PRBOOM (ran doom), no issues, although didn't spend time perfecting anything.

Actually tried Opera (3DO), received segmentation fault, which might have at least loaded with a valid sdl2 folder for an input driver.

Thought I would share my 8bitdo Pro 2 profile for SNES mapping.  Wired of course.  Using D-input allows mapping the L and R buttons. Also need to swap left stick with D-pad.  Only weirdness is x button mapped with A will act as X+Down+Right in the Super Famicon controller test rom.  

Screenshot_20240106-113941-edit-20240106124551.thumb.jpg.0c81186a27b99777c49843fdf22b74db.jpgScreenshot_20240106-114002-edit-20240106124607.thumb.jpg.10f707589ff10a4831c3cb04949f1b6f.jpg

• Like 1

Does anyone know what CPU and video chip are used on the gamestation pro? I've searched and not found any specs anywhere yet.

I plan to pick one up this week as it looks like a great unit. Excited to see a manufacturer put an sdcard slot on it. Very nice!

I love trying and tinkering with these types of units. Just curious if it has the power to run more powerful games like Cave's muchi muchi pork?

2 hours ago, Rational said:

Does anyone know what CPU and video chip are used on the gamestation pro? I've searched and not found any specs anywhere yet.

I plan to pick one up this week as it looks like a great unit. Excited to see a manufacturer put an sdcard slot on it. Very nice!

I love trying and tinkering with these types of units. Just curious if it has the power to run more powerful games like Cave's muchi muchi pork?

Gamestation Pro - Pictures of What's Inside

Previous Cave games seem to run okay.  Considering that "Muchi Muchi Pork" came out *after* the primary version of MAME on the GsP....  Does it have the power to handle the game, I don't know.

• Like 1

@Velvis It definitely supports Warlords, both arcade and 2600 versions in 4 players.  As for the rest, they should work, but I've not personally tested them.  The GsP only supports 2 wireless controllers at a time, so at least 2 of the four GsP controller players need to be wired.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, GB_Baker said:

Only weirdness is x button mapped with A will act as X+Down+Right in the Super Famicon controller test rom.  

On that controller, is the NORTH button (X) the one that triggers the SAVE menu by default?  With Xbox controller, the north button is Y, invokes the SAVE menu, although there are times it will miss that menu event, but it happens enough that it would be ideal if they provided a way in the next firmware to have that disabled altogether.

I am trying to update the firmware on my GSP and when I press the reset button and power my computer pops up an unrecognized usb device message. I have installed the driver included in the download package. Does anyone know a way around this? 

3 hours ago, big_guitar said:

On that controller, is the NORTH button (X) the one that triggers the SAVE menu by default?  With Xbox controller, the north button is Y, invokes the SAVE menu, although there are times it will miss that menu event, but it happens enough that it would be ideal if they provided a way in the next firmware to have that disabled altogether.

The Pro 2 north button triggers the save menu by default only when in A-input mode.  The 8bitdo software does not support custom profiles for A-input mode.  No buttons on the Pro 2 trigger the save menu while in X-input or D-input modes.  A-input is great for Star Wars.  The left stick autocenters and the D-pad holds position.  I am really happy with the Pro 2 on the GSP. 

• Like 1