IGNORED

Gamestation Pro

Dr Karnov

14 minutes ago, General Shakewell said:

If I'm already using @Brad_from_the_80s custom firmware, can flash @fluxit firmware patch over it or is firmware upgrading/updating a one-way street?

AFAIK, Brad_from_the_80s' firmware already includes similar capabilities to what mine allows, in addition to what it adds that is 'fully fleshed out,' though I can't say for certain as I've not tried or analyzed it.  I've nothing against their firmware, I've just not been motivated to check it out.

In any case, if your question is- can you replace one firmware with the other, the answer is yes, though you'd still have to use MyArcade's v1.30 firmware as the base of my patch as supplied.  Basically, if you follow my directions, and have not had difficulty flashing your GsP's firmware in the past, you shouldn't have problems.  Applying the patch to a different firmware image, and then flashing it may cause corruption, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Still wondering about controller input lag, especially where the paddle function is concerned, would love to see more thoughts on that. Also, has anyone here tried different OG controllers using the Bliss-Box, like perhaps the Atari 2600 or 5200 trakball controllers, or the 2600 paddle controllers?

2 hours ago, General Shakewell said:

If I'm already using @Brad_from_the_80s custom firmware, can flash @fluxit firmware patch over it or is firmware upgrading/updating a one-way street?

sorry my screen did not display initial responses to this... but I was going to say the start_local_sd.sh script is moved to sdcard, so you can also edit that one as needed.

Edited by big_guitar
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, GB_Baker said:

Do you have all of the autoconfig/sdl2 cfg files?

I didn't think I needed one for the keyboard just to be recognized, didn't really need one for the controllers.. but I will double check that next time I get a chance... 

Edited by big_guitar

3 hours ago, fluxit said:

AFAIK, Brad_from_the_80s' firmware already includes similar capabilities to what mine allows, in addition to what it adds that is 'fully fleshed out,' though I can't say for certain as I've not tried or analyzed it.  I've nothing against their firmware, I've just not been motivated to check it out.

In any case, if your question is- can you replace one firmware with the other, the answer is yes, though you'd still have to use MyArcade's v1.30 firmware as the base of my patch as supplied.  Basically, if you follow my directions, and have not had difficulty flashing your GsP's firmware in the past, you shouldn't have problems.  Applying the patch to a different firmware image, and then flashing it may cause corruption, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Thank you! I'm really interested in using the updated retroarch (mostly for intelli) that was posted a few posts back. I may be doing it wrong but when I tried to add the posted retroarch and runme.sh, the system wouldn't boot. Just assumed it was because the two firmware's were different enough to keep it from loading the runme.sh

POLE POSITION I and II Arcade Gamestation Pro controller configuration files

The buttons on the GSP controller do not accelerate the car in the Pole Position arcade games.  I created a cfg file for each game.  Copy the files to the cfg directory where the arcade game roms are located on the SD card.

A button = Accelerate 

B button = Gear Shift

C button = Brake

poleposa.cfg poleps2a.cfg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, General Shakewell said:

Thank you! I'm really interested in using the updated retroarch (mostly for intelli) that was posted a few posts back. I may be doing it wrong but when I tried to add the posted retroarch and runme.sh, the system wouldn't boot. Just assumed it was because the two firmware's were different enough to keep it from loading the runme.sh

So you have @Brad_from_the_80s' firmware flashed, correct?  When you say that it wouldn't boot, do you mean that the GsP didn't make it to the point of asking whether you wanted the SD card browser or not?  Does it work properly with the SD card removed?  runme.sh should never affect the GsP's boot sequence, as it is only called when you attempt to load a game.

3 hours ago, General Shakewell said:

If you are using my Retroarch 1.17 build from Feb 29th, it is not a standalone thing.  I pull all of the assets from buildbot. 

https://buildbot.libretro.com/assets/

All of the files necessary to run the various guis are there as well as controller autoconfig files.  I included my retroarch.cfg file for reference only.  You might organize your retroarch folder on your sdcard differently than I did. 

8 hours ago, fluxit said:

Applying the patch to a different firmware image, and then flashing it may cause corruption, and I wouldn't recommend it.

Yeah, please don't do that, at least not with my firmware.  Probably cannot work.  You should be able to use either firmware for what you are attempting.

My firmware is meant to have the same runme.sh capability added by @fluxit , and anyway the start_local_sd.sh migrates to the SD with my firmware, so even if I somehow did it wrong/different (I didn't) you could still make it compatible.  Issue is probably related to setting up RA 1.17 with all assets as @big_guitar suggests.

1 minute ago, big_guitar said:

If you mean intellivision, you don't need the newer RA to get that to work, but you do need the patched firmware. 

Which firmware? @Brad_from_the_80s or @fluxit? I'm way back on page 17 of this thread trying to catch up so I don't sound like a total noob asking what I can only assume are very basic questions at this point. Also, has anyone looked into boosting the power delivered to either the wireless transmitter in the GSP? I think the lag issue is that even at 2 amps (understandably all that's not going to the transmitter) its not powerful enough. I can just about entirely block the signal sitting on the couch with my kneed between the controller and GSP.

11 minutes ago, General Shakewell said:

Which firmware? @Brad_from_the_80s or @fluxit? I'm way back on page 17 of this thread trying to catch up so I don't sound like a total noob asking what I can only assume are very basic questions at this point. Also, has anyone looked into boosting the power delivered to either the wireless transmitter in the GSP? I think the lag issue is that even at 2 amps (understandably all that's not going to the transmitter) its not powerful enough. I can just about entirely block the signal sitting on the couch with my kneed between the controller and GSP.

Either firmware will work for using additional RA cores.  I got Intellivision to work first with the patch from @fluxit, but it also will work with @Brad_from_the_80s's since they both allow for running custom scripts to launch games.  But if you want to use a keyboard at all, you will need another RA like what @GB_Baker has provided.

18 hours ago, General Shakewell said:

I can just about entirely block the signal sitting on the couch with my kneed between the controller and GSP

Not sure about boosting power, but just adding that mine somehow works fine wirelessly. My GSP sits on top of a projector which is about 6ft behind me.

I believe this is a 2.4GHz RF signal, so shouldn't require line-of-site. Do you have a WiFi router or microwave nearby that might be causing interference? 

Edited by clyde

2 hours ago, clyde said:

Not sure about boosting power, but just adding that mine somehow works fine wirelessly. My GSP sits on top of a projector which is about 6ft behind me.

I believe this is a 2.4GHz RF signal, so shouldn't require line-of-site. Do you have a WiFi router or microwave nearby that might be causing interference? 

Yeah. That's probably my issue. I have a ton of smart home plugs that use 2.4ghz wifi and my router is in the same room. I tried using a 3.5 amp adapter for a raspberry pi and the GSP didn't like it at all. LEDs where flickering like crazy and it made no difference in boosting the signal. Just crazy that they didn't opt for Bluetooth.

trying to do some investigation on the input here. Looks like many usb adapter work in game, but few in the menus. Most common game pads do but some really odd balls work. The neogeo mini for examples works in the menus.  I guess there is a USB ID approve list?

WaverBoy,

you are limited to the poll rate set by the GSP, the Bliss-Box will suggest 1ms ( lowest USB setting) but it ultimately is up to the OS to decide.  My guess is it honers 1ms. In that video he talks about paddles IIRC. For the Bliss-Box the paddles are on the dial and slider of the the USB HID. So my guess is they will not map right, the GSP is more then likely assumes that to be on the X and Y axis of the main or secondary sticks. Just a guess. 

Edited by ulao
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, General Shakewell said:

Yeah. That's probably my issue. I have a ton of smart home plugs that use 2.4ghz wifi and my router is in the same room. I tried using a 3.5 amp adapter for a raspberry pi and the GSP didn't like it at all. LEDs where flickering like crazy and it made no difference in boosting the signal. Just crazy that they didn't opt for Bluetooth.

If you have a bunch of RF interference around, I would just opt for some long usb-c cables.  You can run the controllers wired.  Saves batteries too. 

So I tried to use another keyboard with the input driver set to "sdl2" , and it didn't work either.  Again, no issues with this new keyboard whatsoever when using "udev".

The only difference between the cfg files I used was the "input_driver" setting, and nothing else.  Same version of RA, same rom, etc.

I tried multiple versions of the 117 build. I might have another keyboard stored away somewhere, but not sure.

I tried "linuxraw" , and that wouldn't load RA properly as it was unable to to initialize the video input driver.  Caused the screen to flash a bit though before terminating RA.

I tried "wayland" as well, that seems to work about the same as using SDL2.  Unfortunately, the newer kbd wouldn't work with 'wayland' either, it only wants to work with 'udev'... 

If you are asking about atari star raids gakes ( kaey padf ), the GSP does not have a means to do that.  the ability in there but it needs to be told what buttons to look at. The Solution above about Bliss-Box offers a way, but the GSP is not supporting it. 5200 game I would assume are the same. Didn;t it have number on the button of the screen?

If you run emulation on the GSP it should have built in mapping, so that would work.

Edited by ulao

23 hours ago, samwars95 said:

Any way to play Intellivision and Coleco game with a num pad plugged in ?

Depending on the core you use for Retroarch, you can use more modern controllers to have number selections.  This is especially true and best implemented with the FreeIntv core for Intellivision.  There is also a way to use 2 GSP controllers to get most of this done, but I won't get into that just now.

Otherwise, for an actual retro controller, what kind of number pad? 

As long as you have patched firmware, there should be a way with a proper usb adapter, but the RA cores are designed for newer controllers, and using FreeIntv for example would be quite a challenge as it is designed to map RA-retropad buttons and sticks to emulate actions from the older devices, and it's not typically a one-to-one thing that can be easily matched when you mean to use a true 80's controller. You end up trying to make the 80's controller emulate a newer controller to then convert back into 80's controller actions.

I was considering mapping an actual Coleco controller, but each unique adapter would contribute to how it would need to be configured.  I have the 2600-dapter D9 for example.

This same adapter also supports the Atari 2600 Keypad controller.

If you want to use it with the Retroarch built-in to the GSP, I think you'd need to determine the event codes associated with each number button.  You'd then need to define those codes in your retroarch configuration file to be used with the device when using the core emulator.

The Bliss-Box might be more versatile than the 'dapter' with the API software they offer, but I couldn't say if it's more reliable though for certain.

The 2600-dapter D9 registers event codes on the GSP that are different from the GSP controllers or an x-box type controller for example, so you would have to establish which buttons trigger which event codes, it's not always the same as what is spit out by the 'evtest' application, which exists on the GSP.

Edited by big_guitar

On 3/9/2024 at 12:42 AM, GB_Baker said:

Each time you reboot you will need to recreate and export the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  Let me know how it goes.

Back to this, just an FYI, I found that if I implemented the following:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/sdcard/usr/lib:/sdcard/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

This would create problems for the stand-alone stella, such as when triggering games under the "Atari 2600 Paddle" folder. 

For some reason, the controllers were not recognized as they are by the default path settings.

On the keyboards though, I do still plan to see if I can get an older keyboard to work when the sdl2 input driver is in play.

On 3/10/2024 at 5:57 PM, Atari8264 said:

POLE POSITION I and II Arcade Gamestation Pro controller configuration files

The buttons on the GSP controller do not accelerate the car in the Pole Position arcade games.  I created a cfg file for each game.  Copy the files to the cfg directory where the arcade game roms are located on the SD card.

A button = Accelerate 

B button = Gear Shift

C button = Brake

poleposa.cfg 1.55 kB · 8 downloads poleps2a.cfg 1.51 kB · 9 downloads

OMG TY TY TY for this . this drove me nuts... lol Now I can enjoy this classic...it's funny out of all the games Pole 1 and 2 was a never working right, even the 5200 Pole is not right always stuck in Low gear. At least I had Pole 2600 and Pole 2 7800 working but nothing beat the Arcade... Again Thank You now I got to stop crashing on that 1st turn again... all the quarters I spent on this game back in the day!!! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marky316 said:

OMG TY TY TY for this . this drove me nuts... lol Now I can enjoy this classic...it's funny out of all the games Pole 1 and 2 was a never working right, even the 5200 Pole is not right always stuck in Low gear. At least I had Pole 2600 and Pole 2 7800 working but nothing beat the Arcade... Again Thank You now I got to stop crashing on that 1st turn again... all the quarters I spent on this game back in the day!!! 

Dropped many quarters in the Pole Position Cockpit Cabinet back in the day! It was the highest grossing Arcade Game in 83/84. Also translated extremely well to the 5200 and the CX-52 joystick. Great work with everyone working on making the GSP even better!