IGNORED

Anyone notice the changes on Songbird Productions website?

WesleyrpgAust

Yep  The thing is even worse with text. I just had a seminar yesterday where we created an automobile service for changing tyres. In 5 minute we had the logos, values of the company, guidebooks of when to change tyres, positive blogs with comments. Really trustworthy website. All without knowing anything about the business we created. I commented that it is really scary to generate tons of lies to mislead potential customers. AI has no ethics, it just creates illusions. Dangerous stuff. But it can be used as a source of inspiration.

In any case - we could create a logo for future homebrews that tells you that the game can be run on a Lynx. That is if it is still possible to create games for Atari retro devices.

The best solution would be to be allowed to use the LYNX logo on homebrews. I hope Atari supports this.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LordKraken said:

For that to work, we would need to get all lynx publishers (excluding AA obviously since they can use the original logo now) to agree on using that one alternative logo... good luck :)

Take another look at the boxes that AA has shown for the new releases for PRGE. The only have the AA logo on them. The Atari logo, Fuji, and even the fonts used have all changed or been removed on the newer boxes. So AA has the rights to use their AA logo, but it seems the rest of the old logos we used to have are no longer.

32 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

The Atari logo, Fuji, and even the fonts used have all changed or been removed on the newer boxes.

So, if none of us can use the old graphics that connected the game to a certain console then why not create a new set of logos and publish that we have copyright over the logos. Everyone would be allowed to use them so there is no need to trademark them. We should avoid using texts just to avoid problems against trademarks.

The homebrew games are the ones that are growing. So whatever we put on the box will be recognized. Especially if we can agree on the logos. One thing I had in mind would be to have monochrome logos that you can combine with your private graphics. Example:

For WhiteLynx games I would use a Northern Lights background with a white Lynx logo.

WhiteLynxMini.thumb.jpeg.43b0c0c02035bf22557e9ffaeca7b2d4.jpeg

Someone else could use just the white logo or combine it with something else.

For 7800 games we could create some other monochrome logo.

On 9/27/2023 at 2:22 AM, Sinyavin said:

Wasn't the Lynx moved into the Public Domain years ago? Have public rights been abolished in the USA? Does the law have retroactive effect? Is it possible to confiscate what has been transferred to society and give it to the (new) capitalist?

No?

Rename Lynx labels to "Public Domain Lynx" using different font and colors. You can even use the American flag as a background for your font.

And FIGHT FOR YOUR SOCIETY RIGHTS!

Copyrights don't become public domain until it expires. That's a long time into the future. When it comes to trademarks, whoever actively holds the trademarks registered in each country holds the trademark rights. It is not illegal or violate copyrights or trademarks to refer to a product is for a particular product. Just would need to place notice of trademark reference and credit. Use of the actual logos that are registered trademarks is something that can be sued over. But plain generic text reference that a product is for Atari Lynx or Atari Jaguar is actual statutory exceptions of fair use that no IP holder can restrict. There is also 100s of court cases to this effect. You don't need a license from Atari to say your game is made for Atari Lynx. There are limits to trademark law. However Jaguar or Lynx logo, yes, you would need to obtain permission/license from whoever currently owns the trademark rights.

Many games for Commodore 64 did exactly that and not used the logos.

BOTTOM LINE: Just don't use the logos that belongs to Atari or anyone else if you don't have the license/permission to use it.

Edited by Wildstar
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2023 at 3:07 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Take another look at the boxes that AA has shown for the new releases for PRGE. The only have the AA logo on them. The Atari logo, Fuji, and even the fonts used have all changed or been removed on the newer boxes. So AA has the rights to use their AA logo, but it seems the rest of the old logos we used to have are no longer.

The Growing Ties Deluxe

box notably has the real Lynx logo on it.

3 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

The switch in packaging is so frustrating. I was just a few games away from having a set of everything I wanted, and now if I try to get those last few, they aren't going to match everything else I have.

You should order fast then before the redo becomes more permanent than this initial solution is. Right now the packaging changes are somewhat reversible.

5 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

The switch in packaging is so frustrating. I was just a few games away from having a set of everything I wanted, and now if I try to get those last few, they aren't going to match everything else I have.

T.A.P from what i have heard the "game" are just stickers for the moment and are easily removed with a bit of heat!

However the next batch will be printed on the box.