IGNORED

FUJINET 2k23

lotharek

23 hours ago, Stephen said:

This is how it starts - it will not be your last :)  Welcome to the club.

I know...I know😁 

Was already hard do decide what to take, was at last a choice between the Side3 or the FujiNet. What I understood is that the Side3 works the best with the 1MB card, so that would be 2 purchases not 1 😔

At this time, I have no need for a second FN, and I certainly have no issues with anything Gavin made when he was running Vintage Computer Center, but this new, Professional Fuji Net '23 is darned sweet! You can rest assured that, if I ever have a need or desire for a second one, this will be the one I'll get. Awesome job, as usual!

On 9/28/2023 at 8:25 PM, votraxman said:

That works with a Toshiba FlashAir, right?

https://www.storagereview.com/review/toshiba-flashair-iii-sd-card-review

If so, this greatly increases usefulness.

I've experimented with these as well as some of the knockoff versions.  None of them work particularly well.  The main issues I ran into were the stability of the wireless connections and the current draw on the host device - on some, it could cause noticeable glitches or other weird behaviours.

Note that that article is from 2015, and there aren't exactly a ton of them on the market eight years after it was written. 

• Like 1

well, simply being that you can't name or really manage SD card files on the FujiNet effectively without employing sneaker-net, A flashair lets you do all what you need to wireless and without issue.

So I can see his point.

It is also how I handled all of the ultimate carts et al.

Having control over the SD card files, putting them on, taking them off, deleting, naming, copying , just general files management that the FujiNet lacks is quite nice. I think that is why a person would do that. That would just make perfect sense.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

well, simply being that you can't name or really manage SD card files on the FujiNet effectively without employing sneaker-net, A flashair lets you do all what you need to wireless and without issue.

So I can see his point.

It is also how I handled all of the ultimate carts et al.

Having control over the SD card files, putting them on, taking them off, deleting, naming, copying , just general files management that the FujiNet lacks is quite nice. I think that is why a person would do that. That would just make perfect sense.

I guess I could kind of see the point, but it wouldn't be worth it for me. If I need to update files on an SD card, I just take the card out, take it to my PC and do whatever I need with it. No big deal for me. Of course, I'm not like a lot of users that have 8-bits spread all over the house, own 12 Ultimate Carts, 9 AVG carts and 6 FujiNets. My needs are much simpler.

12 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Again: Why would you even do this?

Your scenario obviously contains a working WLAN between your PC and the FujiNet.

In this case it is much easier and more convenient to run a local tnfsd - even manually started - and have transparent access to the files on the PC (just like with SIO2PC) instead of moving something explicitly to the FujiNet.

Just my €0,02

• Like 1

Not everyone is able to run a server on their router and not all routers can easily do this. . Nor does every person have a server on their PC, not every person has the expertise to do those things, or wants to do those things. While we're at it let's not forget the security issue that was ignored until the solution came about.

It's more choice for people that they can easily do. I know it's what I used before during and after fujinet, so if there is animosity against  wireless SD cards, I sure don't understand why. Sure is good to have a fail-over to lean on.

It also looks like at least a few others have felt the same way. Not everyone has to do things the way others think or feel they should, options are good. Strange things happen, what if that SD card socket stops working on that laptop, has driver issues etc. Not a bad thing to have another way to get things done. I can here people say, well just use your other laptop or buy an external etc etc. Not all people have a bunch of laptops or excess money. They might have different circumstances in life now. Maybe their job isn't the same, or they retired, maybe surprise kids. Having them already or finding some in the wild with some luck I think votraxman has a valid point and offered up a nice idea. It's one I've done and agree with it's utility. One less chance to lose or misplace the SD card (in this instance)

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

Okay, I have this beautiful new FujiNet from Lotharek, but all I can get out of it is a progress bar.  What am I doing wrong?  I can't get past the screen that has the FujiNet logo.  I have tried different various firmware.  No matter what I try, I get the boot screen only.  I have formatted the SD card in both Mac and Windows.  Help me use my beautiful new hardware 😀.  I know it is going to work eventually.  I'm sure I'm just screwing something up as usual.  Thanks!

What size is your SD card? Is it formatted as FAT-32? An exFAT formatted SD card won’t work. If you look under properties for your SD card (or Get Info on the Mac), it’ll tell you how the SD card is formatted. 

If it isn’t something that simple, you may need to give more details on your problem. 

Bob C

14 hours ago, darwinmac said:

What size is your SD card? Is it formatted as FAT-32? An exFAT formatted SD card won’t work. If you look under properties for your SD card (or Get Info on the Mac), it’ll tell you how the SD card is formatted. 

If it isn’t something that simple, you may need to give more details on your problem. 

Bob C

It is formatted FAT-32.  It is 4GB.  I'm going to try a different card this evening and I'll post a photo if I still have the problem.  I can't get past the initial screen with the Fujinet logo and the progress bar.  Thanks!

58 minutes ago, joeatari said:

It is formatted FAT-32.  It is 4GB.  I'm going to try a different card this evening and I'll post a photo if I still have the problem. I can't get past the initial screen with the Fujinet logo and the progress bar.

This issue isn't related to the SD card. Please capture and provide debug output when booting the Atari. This will show what is happening on FujiNet. Also, please provide some details about the Atari you are using: which model, any upgrades (ie, U1MB), etc.

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/wiki/FujiNet-Flasher#capturing-serial-debug-output

39 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

This issue isn't related to the SD card. Please capture and provide debug output when booting the Atari. This will show what is happening on FujiNet. Also, please provide some details about the Atari you are using: which model, any upgrades (ie, U1MB), etc.

https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/wiki/FujiNet-Flasher#capturing-serial-debug-output

The issue seems to be something with my 130XE, which is stock.  I just hooked it up to my 800XL with Ultimate 1MB.  I disabled SpartaDOS and the PBI BIOS and the Fujinet worked perfectly right off the bat.  Thanks!  

Edited by joeatari
  • Like 1