IGNORED

How well do Atari 800/400 computer games stack up with 3rd gen console games ?

JPF997

I'm interested in knowing if there are any games released for Atari 8 bit computer's that rival the quality of legendary title's released for the NES and Master System , you know games like Super Mario Bros, Zelda, Metroid, Phantasy Star, Alex Kidd etc

The Atari 800/400 computer's we're 8bit machines so technically they should have been on par with these console's right? And if so why don't we hear more about the game's that were made for these computer's, hell before playing the Atari 50 collection I didn't even know that Star Raiders was considered the killer app of the 8bit computer's.So what do you guys think, are the best Atari 8 bit games capable of giving the best of 3rd gen console gaming a run for they're money, let me know your thoughts in the comment section below.

Hardware wise the Atari 5200 is pretty much just an Atari 400 PC in a different box. The 8-bit family doesn't even beat out the 7800 for most games (at least visually), let alone the NES or Master System. Just because they're all 8-bit machines under the hood doesn't mean they have similar capabilities. Even the 2600 has an 8-bit CPU.

• Like 3

On 9/21/2023 at 7:12 PM, JPF997 said:

I'm interested in knowing if there are any games released for Atari 8 bit computer's that rival the quality of legendary title's released for the NES and Master System , you know games like Super Mario Bros, Zelda, Metroid, Phantasy Star, Alex Kidd etc

Bear in mind that the NES saw release in 1983, with the Master System debuting in 1985.  The A8 range hit retail in 1979.  Comparing the later hardware against the earlier isn't necessarily going to yield an across-the-board comparison - particularly since the A8 range was aimed at a different type of buyer than people in the market for consoles.

On 9/21/2023 at 10:15 PM, famicommander said:

Hardware wise the Atari 5200 is pretty much just an Atari 400 PC in a different box.

Ehh...  The differences are more significant than that.  No PIA on the 5200 so no SIO, a completely different OS ROM, incompatible controllers, an expansion port on the 5200 that isn't replicated on the A8s, etc.  Sure, they share SALLY, POKEY, ANTIC, and GTIA, but there's more to it than just recasing a 400.

• Like 2

The main disadvantage is the sprite capabilities vs something like the NES,  also if 8-bit had large carts with extra hardware strapped on like NES got,  I'm sure there would have been much more impressive games to go along with it.    Otherwise, the 7800 has better sprite capabilities that would make it more competative with NES

The Atari 8-bit homebrew scene shows what can be done when you push the hardware:

image.png.a7f438820c2e0d8156ea2c72d33d60fe.png

image.png.d7a533d4c746295440e6424f97085536.png

image.png.a9019f82215988c883861d4578bbc572.png

image.png.4fda92734b21f4c12e4cfffe2ffdca52.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, zzip said:

The main disadvantage is the sprite capabilities vs something like the NES,  also if 8-bit had large carts with extra hardware strapped on like NES got,  I'm sure there would have been much more impressive games to go along with it.    Otherwise, the 7800 has better sprite capabilities that would make it more competative with NES

The Atari 8-bit homebrew scene shows what can be done when you push the hardware:

image.png.a7f438820c2e0d8156ea2c72d33d60fe.png

image.png.d7a533d4c746295440e6424f97085536.png

image.png.a9019f82215988c883861d4578bbc572.png

image.png.4fda92734b21f4c12e4cfffe2ffdca52.png

Hmm isn't it interesting how that first game has a very Synth like look to it, maybe I wasn't that crazy when I stated that synthwave and it's derivatives (vaporware primarily) are an aesthetic that fits Atari perfectly ( the recharged series and the reimagined series on Atari 50 already proved this point, the fact that even homebrew game's are embracing this style just reinforce's my claim ).

21 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

Hmm isn't it interesting how that first game has a very Synth like look to it, maybe I wasn't that crazy when I stated that synthwave and it's derivatives (vaporware primarily) are an aesthetic that fits Atari perfectly ( the recharged series and the reimagined series on Atari 50 already proved this point, the fact that even homebrew game's are embracing this style just reinforce's my claim ).

Nah it's way too colorful for that,  a synthwave version of that game would look like this:

image.png.e82881139591e581e503fda21a9ea7a6.png

• Like 1

The Commodore Vic20, then a 64 were my next machines after the 2600. I borrowed a NES from a friend when they were relatively new, didn't care for it. Never had a console again until I found a 7800 at a flea market in the mid 1990's.

I think A lot of people went 8 bit computer (Atari, commodore, etc.) next.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 6:49 AM, x=usr(1536) said:

The differences are more significant than that.  No PIA on the 5200 so no SIO, a completely different OS ROM, incompatible controllers, an expansion port on the 5200 that isn't replicated on the A8s, etc.  Sure, they share SALLY, POKEY, ANTIC, and GTIA, but there's more to it than just recasing a 400.

They are limited to 16K of RAM as well which precludes some programming techniques.

The Ataris can use carts with chips. There is the Veronika cart with a 14(?) MHz 65816 which could be used to do softsprites or other CPU intensive tasks. 

Most of the games mentioned are of a genre (real-time RPG) that might have been invented by Atari with Adventure but never saw but one follow-up on the 8-bits (Galahad), probably because the keyboard allowed for „real“ adventure games like Ultima. Nintendo expanded on Adventure‘s formula as it had nearly as limited controllers. There are some homebrew games with a Nintendo-ish look, so it can be done. 

But even if the techniques to replicate at least some of the games the OP mentioned are probably there, who would spend the time to create the assets?