IGNORED

What kinds of new games would you like for the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive?

JurassicDope

The Cursed Legacy is an upcoming sequel (or prequel? Spin-off?) to the Run 'n Gun / Action Platformer series to The Cursed Knight!

I would love some 4 player multi-tap party games, and titles using the Zero Tolerance Link Cable 😎 (if new big titles feature using these accessories, perhaps could manufacture another run as I'm not sure if they are both in short supply, especially the link cable).

Edited by JurassicDope
  • Like 2

On 9/27/2023 at 4:09 AM, Tanooki said:

You know what would be good?  Using coding routines and tricks to pull off what was exclusive to the SNES.

A certain buddy on this forum wouldn't appreciate it, but it can be done.  MODE7 was done on Adventures of Batman and Robin for instance.  Given that was pulled off, maybe someone could do a F-Zero sequel/spiritual spinoff of that.  Maybe a cool flight training game like Pilotwings too.  The base hardware has enough kick given what we're seeing done with newer level ports of Final Fight, SOTN and Metal Slug.

The cart version of Batman and Robin doesn't do any Mode 7 style scale/rotation. Only raster effects.

The Sega-CD game uses the ASIC chip to do the kind of scaling effects that Mode 7 can't. It's a straight up super scaler game.

The developer of many brute force realtime Genesis demos made versions of Mario Kart and F-Zero.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Black_Tiger said:

The developer of many brute force realtime Genesis demos made versions of Mario Kart and F-Zero.

No matter how many times I see these tech vids, they're always exciting! 🤩

The extra brute on the Sega CD makes it possible to use the Direct Color DMA technique for Wolfenstein gameplay (512 colors on screen!):

Edited by JurassicDope

New footage from the ZPF demo showcasing 3 stages! (Possibly spoilers):

This game is on fire!🔥🔥🔥

Any metroidvania fans? I weirdly enjoyed the single player and local split-screen couch co-op for Phantasy Star Online on the Gamecube. Had a blast playing that with my brothers back in the day, though never got the chance to play it online. I wonder if it could translate well as a Zelda ALTTP or Secret of Mana perspective on the MD 🤔

Edited by JurassicDope
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2023 at 4:01 PM, JurassicDope said:

New footage from the ZPF demo showcasing 3 stages! (Possibly spoilers):

This game is on fire!🔥🔥🔥

Any metroidvania fans? I weirdly enjoyed the single player and local split-screen couch co-op for Phantasy Star Online on the Gamecube. Had a blast playing that with my brothers back in the day, though never got the chance to play it online. I wonder if it could translate well as a Zelda ALTTP or Secret of Mana perspective on the MD 🤔

Thinking along metroidvania lines.. except in de-make form.

suppitifall.thumb.PNG.02facfe9ac805bb1e0ad258059d8b428.PNG

• Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 9:55 AM, KidGameR186496 said:

I'm gonna go ahead by throwing an curve ball and say i would love to see a homebrew game similar to Attack of the Mutant Penguins on the Mega Drive (i.e. a tower defense-esque game) :D

Just took a look at the game, never seen a tower defense like that, very interesting. There was this hybrid tower defense / wave survival called Murky Horizon on XBLIG I enjoyed a lot myself 😁 

On 10/18/2023 at 5:51 PM, Gemintronic said:

Thinking along metroidvania lines.. except in de-make form.

suppitifall.thumb.PNG.02facfe9ac805bb1e0ad258059d8b428.PNG

Ooo, something about a "pseudo"-retro* look gives that project a cryptic vibe that is immersive... like staying up late as a kid when you aren't supposed to 😎 I'm curious where it'll go, keep it up!

(* "pseudo" in the sense it is done as an aesthetic and not as a limitation)

Do you guys wonder if we are going to see a new kind of  homebrew "Sega Channel"?

😉

Edited by JurassicDope
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/5/2023 at 1:16 PM, Madwindoman said:

Played the ZPF demo. Yeah the graphics and scrolling were cool but the game wasn’t a whole lotta fun. Anybody else have any thoughts?

With my current schedule, by the time I try the demo, the full game will be out by then 😎 I believe the programmer of ZPF already has a Run 'n Gun in the works! 

Edited by JurassicDope
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JurassicDope said:

With my current schedule, by the time I try the demo, the full game will be out by then 😎 I believe the programmer of ZPF already has a Run 'n Gun in the works! 

That looks pretty fun. I'd play it! Gotta say though, the music is kind of mediocre. Doesn't fit the action very well.

Then again, XenoCrisis has probably spoiled me. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Austin said:

That looks pretty fun. I'd play it! Gotta say though, the music is kind of mediocre. Doesn't fit the action very well.

Then again, XenoCrisis has probably spoiled me. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah Heavy Recoil looks it'll be a homebrew classic, I was sold on it pretty fast lol. I dig those missile sub weapons! There's even eventful moments like Metal Slug that prevents the player from proceeding until they defeat the challenge. As Xenocrisis indeed sets a high bar, I find a certain kind of fun to Heavy Recoil's tracks... I wouldn't be surprised if this was a 1-man operation 🙀

(I definitely can't compose myself, yet I still plan on doing the music on my solo project 😋)

Dang, I posted the bad quality version, here is a better vid:

https://x.com/mix256/status/1736793466728833513?s=20

Edited by JurassicDope

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2023 at 3:45 PM, JurassicDope said:

S/h as color detail for environment 

image.thumb.png.79c045238467541f3f22f6b5ba3f3115.png

Pseudo Additive blending:

image.thumb.png.a595332dd5a6aa4a9b4160f5c3e9d4d6.png

(Not sure if I can post rom here)

We've gotten strange things happening, like M2's GG Aleste 3, and that new Darius port... perhaps they are keeping their radars pointed at the homebrew scene especially now Yuzo Koshiro has been making a waves with Earthion 🙀

Oh that's a really cool blending effect, it's possible in game situation?

Incoming stuff could be a game like Thee Wonders or Gunstar Heroes, or something like that  😉

F7j2-cTXsAAglk8?format=png&name=small

Edited by buckohare

Mikael Tillander's games remind me of Data East in a good way, but Tänzer has better music. As for new Genesis/Mega Drive games, I would like to see more Role-playing games for the system, and anything that takes advantage of it and its add-ons. Or at the very least, more enhancement projects such as Doom 32X Resurrection.

On 1/8/2024 at 12:30 PM, buckohare said:

Oh that's a really cool blending effect, it's possible in game situation?

Incoming stuff could be a game like Thee Wonders or Gunstar Heroes, or something like that  😉

F7j2-cTXsAAglk8?format=png&name=small

Aw man... thanks so much for enjoying my work, it means so much to me! 🙏

Lately on rare days when I can create content I'd like to output some ideas as a preview of the cool stuff I'd love to flesh out! Designing for these old retro consoles is something absolutely special ❤️ 

The translucency demo is one of the 4 or 5 methods I have thought of on getting pseudo additive blending on the MD. This is one of the 2 methods in particular that doesn't even need software rendering! Requirements are:

- 1 free palette (this way you can do neat stuff like adjusting hue and intensity on the fly)

- it eats about twice the sprite bandwidth, so reserve it for maybe a room with a ghost enemy or small special effects.

- This is a proof of concept so it only demonstrates it on a static BG. If I finish it, this particular method should also work with layer, tile, and column scroll and parallaxing. Unfortunately it would be incompatible with line scroll (like the water in Thunder Force 4 level Strife)

I should eventually make a video of it since that would be more interesting... and make a better example showing off my optimizations for s/h mode, to get more color depth!

But yes! The translucency is absolutely doable in a real game situation! I often imagine it might even work with these kinds of enemies from C:SOTN
image.gif.575c2d16352a9aa1c40b9f7f1715eb45.gif

image.gif.435e20304cf02fb06b2fa0b3b47ff066.gif

On 1/8/2024 at 5:32 PM, SlidellMan said:

Mikael Tillander's games remind me of Data East in a good way, but Tänzer has better music. As for new Genesis/Mega Drive games, I would like to see more Role-playing games for the system, and anything that takes advantage of it and its add-ons. Or at the very least, more enhancement projects such as Doom 32X Resurrection.

There seems to be a very mixed crowd on the types of genres fans would like. Maybe I should leave most action games to the pros, as I'd really like to try my hand with RPGs and RTS titles. And of course, extras unlocked if you happen to own an add-on would be nice to see!

On 1/12/2024 at 11:03 PM, Greg2600 said:

I like being surprised, but yeah, have wanted to see the Mode 7 kart racing project get finished.  Beyond that, maybe arcade ports of the ones that never got ported?

Mode 7, bsp, ray-tracing, and other ways of rendering 3d and pseudo 3d is indeed a versatile technique I hope to master in some degree. Kart games are always fun, I wonder if someone will eventually surprise us sooner or later. 

Edited by JurassicDope
  • Like 2