IGNORED

Verified Atari 2600+ FAQ - WIP

Electric-Dreams

Will 2600+ cartridges such as Mr. Run and Jump work on original 2600 hardware?

Do plug-in controllers from Flashbacks work?

Has anyone tried the Mega7800 on this?

How about the Krokodile cart?

I haven't found the compatible homebrew list - does it exist yet?

Where can we report successful or unsuccessful testing of physical carts that are listed as untested? (I have several of them, and I'm sure others do too...)

Thanks! I'm super interested in this. If I don't get one for the holidays I'm for sure buying one after.

Edited by Xot

4 hours ago, Xot said:

Will 2600+ cartridges such as Mr. Run and Jump work on original 2600 hardware?

Do plug-in controllers from Flashbacks work?

Yes on the first two.  The new carts are real 2600 carts that should work on original hardware.  The AtGames controllers and paddles are an option if you have them.  The paddles aren't quite as nice, but their joysticks are generally not very stiff if you want something you can finesse a little easier. 

There are separate threads about cart compatibility.

Thumbed through this forum, but didn't check for others. I have a couple questions regarding the released hardware.

First, the button and micro USB inside the console. What are those for, and will that offer tinkerer's something to play with?

Second, how does one perform proposed updates to the Atari 2600+ post shipping? What is the button combination?

7 hours ago, etschuetz said:

Thumbed through this forum, but didn't check for others. I have a couple questions regarding the released hardware.

First, the button and micro USB inside the console. What are those for, and will that offer tinkerer's something to play with?

Second, how does one perform proposed updates to the Atari 2600+ post shipping? What is the button combination?

Yes "tinkerers" (hackers) are going to do what they want regardless, lol.

Someoone had mentioned a combo here in the past, but since there's no update and no official procedure yet, dont' worry about it. Check back in January. 

21 hours ago, etschuetz said:

I believe that the proposed updates will be installed by plugging the supplied cable into a PC and then running an update file that will be available for download 

• Like 1

Hi, long time no speak and all (some of you may know who I am, Albert does, not sure how many, though; I'll fill out my profile as I get a chance to).

So, I got my 2600+ on Saturday, and here are the results of some of my early tests (and one of them is very early):

Homebrews verified as non-working on my 2600+ system:

Zoo Keeper (but we knew this; it does get as far as a rainbow screen à la a successful Swordquest clue screen, rather than a Loading Failed error, if that helps the developers)

Homebrews verified as working on my 2600+ system:

Conquest of Mars
Godzilla
Gunfight
Okie Dokie (cartridge #69 1/2 out of 100, also a clue for anyone too lazy to run a search on my username, but I've no idea if Bob Colbert still has a public list of registered owners anywhere...heck, I hope Bob's still around and well. Been a minute.)

Homebrew verified as working on at least one dipswitch position so far on my 2600+ system:

A very old Sean Kelly 256-in-1 multicart, circa '96 or '97 (I had it set to Halloween when I plugged it in, and Halloween looked and played great. I have not tried the other 255 dipswitch positions yet, but I may...stay tuned on this...)

All of my new Atari cartridges that I've tested so far (10 in One, Berzerk, Mr. Run & Jump, and damn, I forgot to test the 4 in One from the set of paddles) have worked fine.

Update: this has probably been done a hundred times somewhere, but here's a list of what was still either untested or failing from the main compatibility list on the Atari's site, that I had handy (having cartridges organized is nice):

Stargate works! (Grey label 1987 Atari Corp. cartridge; I don't have any other Stargate-labelled variations, but I think I have a Defender II here)
Basic Math works!
Burgertime doesn't work, loads to glitch screen
Masters of the Universe doesn't work, loads to glitch screen
Mountain King doesn't work, wouldn't load
Omega Race doesn't work, wouldn't load
Tunnel Runner doesn't work, wouldn't load
Circus Convoy doesn't work, loads to black screen
Pitfall II doesn't work, immediately fails
Robot Tank doesn't work, glitches like it does on every other system I have (rolling screen even on TVs that play nice with PAL, Game Start and controller unresponsive)
Spike's Peak/Artillery Duel both loaded (the 2600+ HATES Xonox carts, though, noisy going in, so be careful), but game was unresponsive in both cases

Any of these that didn't work could use a cleaning except Tunnel Runner, which I cleaned the heck out of, and got the same results as the other 2 CBS RAM Plus cartridges I tried.

Games look AMAZING on my 4K set so far.

More later, hopefully!

Edited by I Need New Hobbies
Added compatibility testing information

• 3 weeks later...

I have tested all of my 7800 carts and they are all working. The controller however doesn't have the 7800 controller's second button, but I experimented and used a NES style controller for my 2600/C64 and it works great although some of the buttons are flipped on certain games. I am going through my 2600 carts and my homebrews and will post an update. 

Marauder

On 12/12/2023 at 10:42 AM, I Need New Hobbies said:

Games look AMAZING on my 4K set so far.

I was playing Asteroids Deluxe which I bought for myself as a Christmas Gift and didnt' work on 1.0, and I love how it looks. It truly looks like a vector game on OLED. everything is black and truly off and those shots really remind me of the vector arcade game. It's truly one of my favorites on the 2600+. 

Wait until we get the 1080p upgrade ! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Rockymin said:

I have a question.  How does one run homebrew on the 2600+ if it only takes 2600 and 7800 carts?  Does it have an SD slot or is there an Atari cartridge that you can put an SD card into? 

It runs certain homebrew games from cartridges. 

On 11/26/2023 at 10:50 PM, AtariYMás009 said:

when will the mr run and jump manual be available on the atari website?

Yes atari. why were there not manuals included for mr run and jump & beserk enhanced? Shiny new box and cart...no manual 🤔

On 12/31/2023 at 11:08 PM, tradyblix said:

I was playing Asteroids Deluxe which I bought for myself as a Christmas Gift and didnt' work on 1.0, and I love how it looks. It truly looks like a vector game on OLED. everything is black and truly off and those shots really remind me of the vector arcade game. It's truly one of my favorites on the 2600+. 

Wait until we get the 1080p upgrade ! 

Just use an mclassic connected to the atari 2600+. 1080p and 4k...if youre tv supports it. And if you own one . I'm not saying pay £83.99/$106 for an upscaler specifically for the atari 2600+ 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, shane857 said:

Just use an mclassic connected to the atari 2600+. 1080p and 4k...if youre tv supports it. And if you own one . I'm not saying pay £83.99/$106 for an upscaler specifically for the atari 2600+ 😂

What exactly is an mclassic if you don't mind me asking ? I think I'll wait until we get an updated 1.1 to see if they turn on the 1080p at that point... cheaper ... 

Edited by tradyblix

2 hours ago, shane857 said:

Yes atari. why were there not manuals included for mr run and jump & beserk enhanced? Shiny new box and cart...no manual 🤔

Ben said the next boxes will include one, they ran out of time or something.

I personally think manuals are a waste when we can just look up the info on our phones. I have a PDF with every 2600 game manal and I use that. Less waste. 

22 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

Ben said the next boxes will include one, they ran out of time or something.

I personally think manuals are a waste when we can just look up the info on our phones. I have a PDF with every 2600 game manal and I use that. Less waste. 

These games are originally from an era of collectables. Manuals and boxes are part of the experience for a large portion of Atari collectors.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, tradyblix said:

So carts are a waste of plastic and chips, when we just could load all games from SD-card?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3