IGNORED

1050 Happy Clone or something else?

Yannil

I bought this 1050 drive off eBay a while ago and I have just got it working again. I was wondering if anyone recognised the upgrade board. I thought it might have been an IS Plate purely down to the colour of the PCB. But it is not recognised as such by the ISP software. Happy software recognises it as being Happy but might it be something else? IMG_4256.thumb.jpeg.2ff0bce927dd062a82f76101bfeb7ff5.jpeg

If its a "lazer" it would function as a rev 1 happy 1050 (no corrupted single density ultraspeed writes, unbuffered) and not exhibit those symptoms like the more common rev 2.

Its been a while to remember but if you start the genuine happy 7.x diagnostics software, see if the ROM test results in "Pass" or "PASS" - as that differentiates V1 or V2. (Or "FAIL" if the rom has been modified and checksum matches neither). Lazer had a modified utility disk to pass on its own modified rom...

I've written a software detector that can determine all sorts of drives apart. For Happy 1050s, it can tell the Rev 1, Rev 2, Tygrys, and I.S. Plate apart and will just say "Happy Clone" if it can't tell if it's any of those. I've been debating making a separate utility just to do the detection and give a report, but right now, it's just a part of a custom OS booter I've been working on, but maybe it can help?

• Like 2

Definitely looks like a Happy 1050 clone, as the chip and controller connections match, including the connection to 6502 pin 38 (SO) with the 10K resistor to ground. Which if true, would make the chip on the right the 6502, the one on the lower left a 74LS139, and the larger 28-pin chip above it the 8K ROM -- and probably RAM and bank switching logic underneath the cheesy cardboard protector box.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...