IGNORED

The Official Atari Age Secret Santa 2023 Thread!

CaptainBreakout

15 hours ago, carlsson said:

Apparently I'm paying customs fees equivalent of $16 per kg of video games. No customs on books, CDs or candy. However all of those are tainted with their respective VAT rates, plus around $13 in handling fees.

Yes, VAT is mandatory on everything (just like if you go to the US and come back with some stuff, you should declare it and pay VAT)

Video Games should not be taxed if they are correctly declared with code 95045000 (unless Sweden is different from France), but Video Games Parts is taxable. The problem is that for gift usually the custom code is not mandatory so they can do what they want.

Myself, I got VAT and an extra tax on candies (I guess it was not books)...

I just realized I wasn't charged customs fees. I was charged extra tax for chemicals in electronic goods, a tax that only Sweden has and was recently introduced. It is only supposed to be applied to companies importing electronics to be resold to a value exceeding $10,000. Apparently UPS made a blunder. I might try to dispute the invoice now that it has been paid, but I believe they will ignore me. For some reason, I think if the package had been sent by USPS (who offered a slower but slightly cheaper service), I would have avoided that part of the fees and I had been notified about the package in time.

On 1/2/2024 at 9:44 PM, CaptainBreakout said:

I second that.  I think we must revamp international shipping procedures for next year.

One way to avoid that is to use drop-shipping from companies in the same country. Might take some soul out of some things, but it's a possibility for some items at least.

Oh, boy!

OH, BOY! Santa manged to reach this extremely late participant. I can't believe it!

I must say that I have been punished for being so late: to be more specific, EU Customs are E-V-I-L !!!

But now, to the merry side: I can't believe how many things have been packaged in that box...

first, booklets and cards, wow!

IMG_2275.thumb.jpg.d41720f33e5143c3e163de36c7d6ac4f.jpg

next, ooohhh! GAMES! (Now I'll have to find a Jag adapter for those paddles, or I'll have to use them on my Falcon...)

IMG_2277.thumb.jpg.e31b53bcb297cbbe97c50baecf9547e6.jpg

Wow! Timekeeping, the Atari way! (I realize I know nothing about what's happening in the Atari Hardware scene...)

IMG_2278.thumb.jpg.f4e04c15e987240ea496ba4626417616.jpg

64-bit Coin ;-)

IMG_2279.thumb.jpg.d1fe24598478a8f5cbf9e3619881faab.jpg

YUM! Snacks! (I am so sorry I was worried to send edible stuff abroad, maybe it would have gone through the borders without problems)

IMG_2280.thumb.jpg.24aa94d0eb8eb64a90d6553ff69650e6.jpg

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Paolo said:

EU Customs are E-V-I-L

Woo, is that 3 out of 3 members in different countries within the EU, all affected by similar import duties? Clearly the honeymoon is over now, if there ever was one. Hopefully we can pool at least a half dozen European members for next season, so we have some exchange between us, though it also means less cultural (candy) exchange across different parts of the world.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Well dang. If Santa had known that you were a Jag and Falcon collector, he probably would've sent you some stuff for your systems. ;)

Hey! I DO NOT collect, I PLAY :-D

(well, a couple of hints were given to the "connection manager", hehe, but anyway the blame is on ME, with my bad timing. I didn't even *hope* to be thrown in, so, all is good! And who knows, maybe I'll get a 2600 sooner or later)

BTW, about the cultural exchanges, I noticed that on the other side of the pond you have always SUGAR as first ingredient... 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

However if the value is suspiciously low, customs will intercept it and send out a question for proving the value. Also I get the feeling that US authorities in particular may charge the sender for fraud. At least pretty much nobody from America have ever written down value on items, while nearly everyone from China, Japan, Thailand etc have.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, carlsson said:

However if the value is suspiciously low, customs will intercept it and send out a question for proving the value. Also I get the feeling that US authorities in particular may charge the sender for fraud. At least pretty much nobody from America have ever written down value on items, while nearly everyone from China, Japan, Thailand etc have.

By lowering I mean a used game or used item at 50% of initial value is not suspect and probably closer to reality. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Machine said:

So who was my secret santa? I love my gifts!!!!

you need a reveal party ... or your SS can just tell you LOL. Yes whomever was Machine's SS please come forth!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaptainBreakout said:

@chicgamer is equally responsible for putting in the time it takes for keeping this tradition. Some years moreso!

Proudly doing it!  Thank you!

Well hats off to both of you! Thanks for keeping this great tradition going while I was away dealing with personal things.

I should be available to assist this year if you both need it.

• Like 5