IGNORED

The Official Capcom System Thread!

Not sure if allowed to start this but to hell with it, no other place lol. And I don’t think the Neo Geo thread likes my posts about this sort of thing clogging up their space :P

I’ll have more info on this tonight, currently at work, but yeah fixed this and modded it myself. Got it running for the first time last night :)

Edited by Cobra Strike Down
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Did an easy but extremely useful mod today. 3D printed rubber capped feet! Slide into the existing mounts and finally save my system from scraping on my metal rack shelves. 

There’s two front stabilizers as well that are 3m taped into the front portion so if you press down on your Cps2 it’s rear doesn’t raise up off the shelf. 

I have a couple more things to do yet then I’ll be fully up and running! 

IMG_2596.thumb.jpeg.4d63a39a7bbac73173bf16a0f0735d6a.jpeg

IMG_2591.thumb.jpeg.e726c5fe40afb749ad663740479e1b38.jpeg
IMG_2592.thumb.jpeg.c6faa6080cfe6c4e132b9ce12e75ea71.jpeg

IMG_2594.thumb.jpeg.32b947a8318d2d4e51e7ac9a65e70b24.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 0078265317 said:

I have never even heard of this system before.

Main competitor to the Neo Geo MVS. Arcade hardware. I’m sure you know many of the all time classic games that were on this thing. Marvel Super Heroes, Darkstalkers, Vampire Savior, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Aliens vs Predator, Marvel vs Street Fighter, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Marvel vs Capcom, Cyberbots….list goes on. Top tier Capcom royalty on CPS2!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

I have not heard of these.

Marvel Super Heroes, Darkstalkers, Vampire Savior

Aliens vs Predator, Marvel vs Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, Cyberbotsx

Street fighter was on other platforms.  But I have not heard of the rest.

Yeah I agree with M-S.  I don’t understand how you missed some of the biggest games of the arcade for two decades. And it doesn’t end of SF2X. You also have the Alpha /Zero games on this, too. A lot of big IPs originated on this hardware. It’s quite famous. As famous as Neo Geo for its influence. 

17 minutes ago, Cobra Strike Down said:

Yeah I agree with M-S.  I don’t understand how you missed some of the biggest games of the arcade for two decades. And it doesn’t end of SF2X. You also have the Alpha /Zero games on this, too. A lot of big IPs originated on this hardware. It’s quite famous. As famous as Neo Geo for its influence. 

My childhood was NES and ATARI 5200.  And one friend had a 2600 and one had a SNES.  And some had Sega Genesises.  Aside from that it wasn't much else.  These titles were not on there.

Perhaps you are misunderstanding it, the CPS2 is an arcade board, the previous one, the CPS1 had a home console version and a computer with the same technology, the X68000. But both were extremely expensive and were released only in Japan.

However, nowadays the boards are relatively cheaper and the same goes for the cartridges, so some people like to buy them and consolize it.

The CPS2 was inside arcade machines like Street Fighter II Turbo, but it wasn't marketed on the outside.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

What you did was beautiful, and have you looked up Battle Circuit? (The last 2D brawler they made for the arcade.)

Thank you! I have every CPS2 game on my CPS2 as it’s been darksoft modded by yours truly.  I got the an and b boards from Japan, made sure my game board was a new enough game to not need the soldering mod, and ordered the kit and installed. The new fan makes it not sound like a freight train and the 3d printed buttons replaced the ones that broke on me. 

If you’d like, the next game I can boot up can be Battle Circuit! I’ll post it here for you to check out. 

Been loving the CPS2 so far. I’m a massive Neo Geo fan, but I truly do feel this hardware was just a bit more powerful, and produced some stunning examples. Don’t get me wrong, so did the Neo Geo, but take Armored Warriors. I just don’t think the Neo Geo could produce a brawler like that. It’s honestly a joy to have both side by side. Both are by far and large the most played hardware I have. To the point now my consoles almost are at a point of feeling neglected.

• Like 1

Should maybe just name it the CPS1 and CPS2 thread? The hardware is pretty similar, as are the games.

That's probably my favorite era of Capcom arcade gaming (late '80s, most of the '90s) with both sets of this hardware. So many all-time classics were created between the two. Even a lot of great, more niche titles are out there and hold up great. They were generally super colorful and sounded good.

I love some Mars Matrix and Giga Wing (CPS2), along with Strider and King of Dragons (CPS1), to name a few (out of many).

• Like 1

Yeah, I think it makes sense to rename this to simply the Capcom System thread, the CPS3 is also great even if it only has 3 games, like the best fighting game based on a manga, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and Street Fighter III.

Although I don't know if I would like to own any of them, the gap between arcade and home console wasn't as big at the time,the PS1 and the Saturn already can run CPS1 games perfectly and if they had a little bit more RAM they would be able to run arcade perfect ports of CPS2 games. The Saturn has the expansion cartridge which helps it, and I think soon enough people will patch those games for it. While the Dreamcast already is more powerful than even the CPS3.

Still, these platforms still have a lot of games that were never ported to home consoles, like Red Earth and Cadillacs&Dinosaurs.

• Like 1