IGNORED

I/O error 66 = ?

newTIboyRob

So just finished a marathon typing session of a spreadsheet program in TI BASIC. I tried saving to tape with SAVE CS1

To my horror, the computer returned the dreaded error message "Error Detected In Data".... I/O Error 66. I couldn't find # this on a list of common errors. Can anyone explain it?  As of 9:12 PM EST, I still have the computer on, with the program loaded in memory, (for like 6 hours now!)

Since I don't want to lose all that data by powering off yet, I am hoping someone can shed some light here before I lose all!

@HOME AUTOMATION   .. it is amazing, but I can't find that specific #66 error in the back of even the reference guide, nor a sheet listing all the common I/O errors I saw on line.  When you say the quality right, you mean, I should fiddle with the volume control on the tape recorder and just keep trying to save?

Edited by newTIboyRob

Oh I see now, an XY co-ordinate:  so it is saying I have a SAVE (6)  [to]  DEVICE (6) error.  It is not a standard 2 digit number that I was expecting. Wow.  But as I say, you think I should just fiddle with the volume control on the tape recorder?

Edited by newTIboyRob
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, newTIboyRob said:

But as I say, you think I should just fiddle with the volume control on the tape recorder?

There's that. Adjust treble to high. Also quality tape, C-60 or shorter. Clean heads, stable speed. Make sure the tape's pressure-pad is secure. Eventually, even pinch-rollers harden and can slip a bit.  I've seen situations where a supply reel full of tape has enough inertia to defeat old weak brakes, allowing the reel to continue spinning after rewind is released, causing portions of the tape to make contact with the permanent-magnet, type of erase head, leading to short drop-outs.

image.jpeg.7df5d0538dcf244a349d5e45ee41733e.jpeg

Edited by HOME AUTOMATION
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I still wonder if something was "up" with the program I typed in. Other ones I did just the day before saved on 3 separate occasions throughout the same day.

@arcadeshopper I can totally agree and vouch for that based on a) last night's shenanagans and b) MUCH trouble with using a Atari 410 program recorder. I don't have much I am looking to do with the TI thus was looking to work with the little I have.  A TIPI is kind of out at this point, but my mind will stay half-open.

Edited by newTIboyRob
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Retrospect said:

Also, if using CS1 try not to use standard audio cassettes.  Data cassettes are what you need the audio tapes are unreliable

My cassettes still work ... Cheap C60 and C90 music cassettes from 1983/1984 ... still readable today. 

But as @arcadeshopper wrote ... today you should use other mass-storages. Don't bet to find a working cassette-player in another 40 years time.

@arcadeshopper   ... I  have a feeling that is what happened: it might have been too large to save to a cassette.

I think I know the answer to this, but... even if the program I had type was converted to a WAV for TI basic, I still wouldn't be able to save it to cassette succesffully because the size/data/ still would remain the same, is that correct?   

(I am just looking for a way to get a spreadsheet onto cassette for the stock TI. The professional one I purchased turned out to contain no data.)

In that case, the problem is not the size but the saved data. ERROR DETECTED IN DATA means that the computer could read some bits, but that either the copy record does not match, or that the checksum does not match. If the volume is too low, and no bits were detected, you'd get a NO DATA FOUND.

As for the copy record, you may have noticed that cassette data is saved in a format like --------------XXXXX XXXXX AAAAA AAAAA BBBBB BBBBB ZZZZZ ZZZZZ

with a lead-in tone at the beginning and each record being saved twice.

Also, as I read somewhere here, I'd strongly recommend not to use MP3 for digital audio data (if cassette data is saved to a PC and replayed by some device). MP3 is not lossless; it changes the contents for better compression. Always use WAV.

The tape recorder head gets dirty.

I used to have to clean mine, depending on how much I used it (and possibly

depending on how old the tapes are too).

Put some isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip, and rub it on the tape recorder's head 5 or 6 times to clean it;

then wait a few minutes or so before using it again.

Edited by swallis7
  • Like 1

When I use a cassette, I still use the same type of recorder I used back in the day. A Panasonic desktop model very similar to the one that TI sold under their brand.  The 3-digit counter was essential.   I always have the volume at 10 and tone at 9... habit.  I had terrible luck recording on a later boombox. 

As a program gets bigger, so do the odds that the recording has a bad spot. Are you rewinding and recording over the same part?  Or moving along to new? 

I used all kinds of tapes from cheap C-30s, to a Data Tape CrO2 that came in a fancy spring-loaded protective canister.  When I had a problem with a tape, I grabbed another one.

• Like 1

I know it's always best to use c60 or even better yet c30 tapes, but I had to use a 90 as that was all I had. But the 90's have been working fine otherwise, SCOTCH, FUJI, TDK, MAXELL... all top brands I've been using. Unfortunately this recorder has no treble that I can crank. But I have been recording at pretty high volume like between 8 and 9.5 with success just the other day with making data cassettes with the Console Writer word processor cartridge (excellent cartridge by the way.)

Except, when I typed in the 3 hour program called the TI CALC Program listed at the back of the link below and wanted to save it last night for my own use, that, of course was the time it didn't work when I tried running it or saving it.  I reviewed my typing for even 1 typo but could not find any. A few lines didn't actually fit while typing it in TI BASIC, so I had to split those up. If you notice, lines 1320-1360 and 1440-1480 are extra long.

In line 1320 for example, the computer runs out of line room at 12,C so I ended that line (7,C) instead with no ending comma and then made a continuing new line of 1325 INPUT #1: A$(8,C) and on.

But then it gave a NAME CONFLICT ERROR in line 1320  😆   

So it wouldn't run, but it obviously found DATA, but I guess goes back to what @mizapf mentioned: either the copy record did not match or the checksum did not match.

https://archive.org/details/tibook_ti994a-calc/page/n85/mode/2up

But if anyone can either tell me a) if I split line 1320 incorrectly or  b) figure out a way to get that program successfully to an actual tape usable in TI Basic, you'd be helping me out IMMENSELY and you'd be putting an end to my TI spreadsheet quest!

a) Initially, you can enter 4 lines ...then EDIT the line to add more.

b) I found the programs from your book in a disk format... 994ACALC.ZIP

...had to convert using ti99dir63a...994ACALC.DSK

...opened using js99er...

image.thumb.jpeg.c79b8d22ad4462078efa682404944c14.jpeg

...SAVE...

image.thumb.jpeg.7dbe49c5444efc093060d7b13cb96522.jpeg

SAMS(book) programs and more here...

https://ftp.whtech.com/emulators/pc99/pc99 dsk collection/Books/

P.S. I haven't tried to load the .wav file onto a real TI, though. Classic99, spit it out(NO DATA FOUND).:twisted:

Edited by HOME AUTOMATION
  • Like 1

So let me put this in cassette terms and rewind here  :)   I have the actual SAMS book right in front of me. There are 7 actual programs that were found on the original tape:

TI-99/4A CALC

AUTO GAS MILEAGE

TEMPERATURE CONVERSION

PIGGY BANK COUNTER

INCOME PLANNING

LOAN ANALYSIS

SAVINGS PLAN

Though it would be nice to have all those on tape, the first one is the main program that I am really looking for here. So a few emulators were mentioned: Classic99, real iorn, MAME.  As I am not a person who usually does good with that kind of thing, I would just attempt to record the program's WAV file straight to tape and hope for the best.

So, @HOME AUTOMATION , just so I understand, in your b) above, and under the light blue screen, that is the WAV file for the main program, correct?  But you haven't tried to record that into a real TI?  If that is correct, I can bring the tape recorder upstairs and give it a go and see if it will work!