IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Compatibility Testing at PRGE!

Albert

First, we will have five Atari 2600+ consoles setup at the AtariAge booth for everyone to try out!  We'll have a variety of games running on these systems, including one dedicated to homebrew games, one dedicated to paddle games, one for a variety of classic games from "back in the day", and two systems showing off new Atari releases (such as Berzerk Enhanced).

Second, we invite people to test your Atari 2600 and 7800 cartridges on our Atari 2600+ consoles and help Atari improve the compatibility of the 2600+!  If you have a game or games that haven't yet been tested on the 2600+, you can test them and report to us the results of your testing.  This includes original games Atari and third-parties, as well as homebrew games.

We want to record these results, so please find someone from AtariAge or Atari to witness you testing your games or games.  If a game fails, we will want to test it on an 2600 or 7800 console to verify that the game does work.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

..Al

• Like 16
  • Thanks 7

Sounds pretty cool honestly! Do ya think anyone will bring a harmony cart to test on the 2600+? i figured it'd be easier to get one of those rather than collect actual physical old school carts.

anyway, hope everyone has a fun time over at PRGE!

On 10/7/2023 at 1:20 PM, Albert said:

First, we will have five Atari 2600+ consoles setup at the AtariAge booth for everyone to try out!  We'll have a variety of games running on these systems, including one dedicated to homebrew games, one dedicated to paddle games, one for a variety of classic games from "back in the day", and two systems showing off new Atari releases (such as Berzerk Enhanced).

Second, we invite people to test your Atari 2600 and 7800 cartridges on our Atari 2600+ consoles and help Atari improve the compatibility of the 2600+!  If you have a game or games that haven't yet been tested on the 2600+, you can test them and report to us the results of your testing.  This includes original games Atari and third-parties, as well as homebrew games.

We want to record these results, so please find someone from AtariAge or Atari to witness you testing your games or games.  If a game fails, we will want to test it on an 2600 or 7800 console to verify that the game does work.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

..Al

Please post lots of pictures Al. Those of us far from the Expo would like to see the setup.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, karri said:

It would be nice to know the status of 7800 games available in the AA shop. Which are confirmed to work on the 2600+?

I think a reasonable number of homebrews especially the older titles may work but many of the new ones are using pokey @450 or even @800 which will/may not be supported by the announced emulator.  Fingers crossed though!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, karri said:

It would be nice to know the status of 7800 games available in the AA shop. Which are confirmed to work on the 2600+?

2 hours ago, mksmith said:

I think a reasonable number of homebrews especially the older titles may work but many of the new ones are using pokey @450 or even @800 which will/may not be supported by the announced emulator.  Fingers crossed though!

The Atari 2600+ uses ProSystem 1.3e emulator for 7800 games.

@Trebor tested 110 games for 7800 under ProSystem 1.3e Core via RetroArch. Most are 7800 Homebrews games, including some on sale in the AA store.

Test Results:

- 20 games = Black screen

- 6 games = No audio / No music / No sound (POKEY or TIA)

- 36 games = Works with issue:

graphic issue

graphic corruption

speed / timing issue

enemies absent

player will not move

sound issue

POKEY notes incorrect

- 1 game = Needs light gun support (Sentinel)

- 49 games = Works without issue.

Spoiler

Test Results under ProSystem 1.3e Core via RetroArch:

7ix = Works without issue
1942 = Black screen
2048 = Graphic issue throughout
A.R.T.I. = Black screen
A Roach in Space - Part 2 = Works without issue
Ah Zombies = Graphic issue throughout
Alpha Race = Works without issue
Apple Snaffle = Some graphic corruption after screen scrolls
Arkanoid = Black screen
Armor Attack II = Works without issue
Asteroids Deluxe = Speed/Timing Issue present
Astro Blaster = Works without issue
Astro Fighter = Works without issue
Attack of the Petscii Robots = Black screen
Baby Pac-Man = Graphic issue pinball screen
Beef Drop = POKEY sound not present, enemies absent, player will not move
Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest = No POKEY music or TIA sound effects present
Bernie and the Cubic Conundrum = Graphic issue throughout
Bernie and the Tower of Doom = Black screen
BlocDrop = Works without issue
Block'em Sock'em = Black screen
BonQ = Works without issue
Cannon in D - D for Defense = Work without issue
Cartesian Chaos = Graphic issue throughout
Crazy Brix = Brix display incorrectly
Crazy Otto = Works without issue
Danger Zone = Graphic issue throughout
Death Merchant = Graphic issue throughout
Donkey Kong PK = No audio
DopeWars = Graphic issue throughout
Dragon's Cache = Works without issue
Dragon's Descent = Works without issue
Dragon's Havoc = Graphic issue throughout
Drelbs = Works without issue
Drone Patrol = Black Screen
Drunk Witch = Works without issue
Dungeon Stalker = Works with issue
E.X.O. = Black screen 
FailSafe = Works without issue
FlappyBird = Works without issue
Freeway = Graphic issue throughout
Frenzy (w-Berzerk) = Works without issue
Froggie = Some POKEY notes incorrect
Frogus = Black screen
Galaxian = Plays without issue
Game of the Bear - Polar Opposites = Works without issue
Get Lost = Works without issue
Ghosts'n Goblins = Graphic issue throughout
Graze Suit Alpha = Works without issue
Harpy's Curse = Black screen
Harry's Hen House = Works without issue
Heartlight = Works without issue
I.C.B.M. = Graphic issue throughout
Jacks or Better = Graphic issue throughout
Jr Pac-Man = Works without issue
K.C. Munchkin = Works without issue
Keystone Koppers = Black screen
Klax = Black screen
Knight Guy - Quest for Something = Works without issue
Knight Guy in Low Res World - Castle Days = Works without issue
Knight Guy on Board - 30 Squares of Fate = Works without issue
Legend of Silverpeak = Black screen
Lunar Patrol = Graphic corruption throughout

Meteor Shower = Works without issue
Millie & Molly = Black screen
Missing In Action = Graphic issue throughout
Moon Cresta = Works without issue
Ms. Pac-Man Twin = Works without issue
Ninjish Guy - Perilous Island = Works without issue
Oozy the Goo - Gaiden = Works without issue
Pac-Man - Energy Drink Edition = Graphic issue with sprite bottom of maze
Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition = Black screen
Pac-Man Collection - 40th Anniversary Edition (Short Mazes) = Black screen
PentaGo = No POKEY sound and graphic issue throughout
Pirate Cove = Works without issue
Plink = Graphic issue throughout
Plumb Luck DX = Works without issue
Plutos = Graphic issue throughout
Poetiru = Works without issue
Pong = Graphic issue throughout
Popeye = No POKEY sound and graphic issue throughout
RatTrap = No POKEY sound and graphic issue throughout
Rescue On Fractalus = Black screen after starting game
ReZolve = Works without issue
Rikki and Vikki (No Music) = Works without issue
Rip-Off = Works without issue
Robbo = No sound
Robots Rumble = Black screen
Santa Simon = Works without issue
Scramble = Sound issue
Sentinel = Needs light gun support
Serpentine = Black screen
Sick Pickles = Works without issue
Sirius = Works without issue
Slide Boy in Maze Land = Works without issue
Space Duel = Speed/Timing Issue
Space Invaders = Works without issue
Space Peril! = Graphic issue throughout
Space Race = Graphic issue throughout
Spire of the Ancients = Graphic issue throughout
Super Circus AtariAge = Works without issue
Super Pac-Man = Works without issue
T:ME Salvo = Works without issue
Touchdown Challenge = Graphic issue throughout
Tunnels of Hyperion = Works without issue
UniWarS = Works without issue
Wasp! = Works without issue
Wizard's Dungeon = No background sound and graphic issue throughout
Wordle = Graphic corruption - letter selection area
Worm! = Works without issue

Best we can hope for is Atari integrating the updates readily available via JS7800 posted sources, which several from the community have assisted with updating.

• Thanks 2

I know everyone has their personal list of games they want tested but here is mine. 

Homebrew 2600

Medieval Mayhem

Circus Convoy

Space Rocks

Robot War (pretty sure this one won't work) 

Juno First

Ruby Q

And my personal favorite game: Jr. PACMAN. 

Thanks for testing! 

Edited by SuperSamyon

23 minutes ago, SuperSamyon said:

I know everyone has their personal list of games they want tested but here is mine. 

Homebrew 2600

Medieval Mayhem

Circus Convoy

Space Rocks

Robot War (pretty sure this one won't work) 

Juno First

Ruby Q

And my personal favorite game: Jr. PACMAN. 

Thanks for testing! 

Medieval Mayhem and Juno First work. Circus Convoy, rubyQ, RobotWar and Space Rocks do not work at this time. Not sure about Jr. Pac-Man, haven't tried that, I imagine it works (assuming you are talking about the 2600 version -- I haven't tried either the 2600 or 7800 flavors). 

..Al

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Bakasama said:

Since you’re asking for carts for testing, can people also bring in more exotic controllers for testing? Like, keyboard controllers, genesis controllers, or prolines.

Sure, being whatever you'd like!  I still haven't tested keypad controllers, so I'm particularly interested in those. The 7800 Proline controllers work fine. I haven't tried a Seagull 78 adapter with a Genesis controller for 7800 games, nor have I tried a Genesis controller for 2600 games. 

..Al

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Albert said:

Sure, being whatever you'd like!  I still haven't tested keypad controllers, so I'm particularly interested in those. The 7800 Proline controllers work fine. I haven't tried a Seagull 78 adapter with a Genesis controller for 7800 games, nor have I tried a Genesis controller for 2600 games. 

Have you been testing trackballs already?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Have you been testing trackballs already?

No, and I very much need to!  I think they will work fine. I should have brought some of the track-ball hacks to PRGE and then someone could have brought a trak-ball to test. I'll test one when I get back home from the show. 

..Al

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Albert said:

Medieval Mayhem and Juno First work. Circus Convoy, rubyQ, RobotWar and Space Rocks do not work at this time. Not sure about Jr. Pac-Man, haven't tried that, I imagine it works (assuming you are talking about the 2600 version -- I haven't tried either the 2600 or 7800 flavors). 

..Al

Thank you for your response! 

Really bummed about ruby Q and Circus Convoy not working. Hopefully that can be fixed later on. 

And yes, I was referring to the 2600 Jr. PACMAN. That's probably my most played game so hoping it works. 

1 minute ago, SuperSamyon said:

Really bummed about ruby Q and Circus Convoy not working. Hopefully that can be fixed later on. 

And yes, I was referring to the 2600 Jr. PACMAN. That's probably my most played game so hoping it works. 

Jr- PacMan should already work. And Circus Convoy could be made working with a firmware update. But I am quite pessimistic about the ARM games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Albert said:

No, and I very much need to!  I think they will work fine. I should have brought some of the track-ball hacks to PRGE and then someone could have brought a trak-ball to test. I'll test one when I get back home from the show. 

..Al

Probably irrelevant with the 2600+, but IIRC, when testing a cx80 with the Retron 77's built in controller ports, it had two problems with the trakball.  The first was that the cx80 being tested required about 4.4 volts for stable operation, and the control board was on a 3.3 volt rail, so there was only 3.3 volts available at the controller ports.  The second problem was that the control board identified what was plugged into it, and it only knew joysticks and paddles.

• Like 2

I won't be at PRGE (being that I am on the opposite coast in a different country), but I think that this is an excellent idea. Kudos to Albert and whomever else is involved for doing this.

I really want to play Star Raiders on something close to (but not quite) original hardware, so I too am anxious to find out if the keypad works. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fluxit said:

Probably irrelevant with the 2600+, but IIRC, when testing a cx80 with the Retron 77's built in controller ports, it had two problems with the trakball.  The first was that the cx80 being tested required about 4.4 volts for stable operation, and the control board was on a 3.3 volt rail, so there was only 3.3 volts available at the controller ports.  The second problem was that the control board identified what was plugged into it, and it only knew joysticks and paddles.

Yup, the front ports of the R77 only work with joysticks and (more or less) with paddles.

• Sad 1

I had high hopes for the paddles working. They feel sluggish on breakout. A possible dealbreaker. I doubt I could play kaboom like I feel it should be played. Kaboom and super breakout are 2 of my all time favs on the 2600. Kaboom and super breakout should be the benchmark by which all paddle support in emus should be evaluated 

Tried playing with the new paddles and older OEM. Both with similar results. In fact, the older paddles did exhibit jittery behavior. 

Things I am not sure of working are the starpath games (multi load as well as single load games) and the cuttle cart. The newer melody board carts don’t work according to Albert. 

I should have tried some of the champ games since I bought the new turbo and elevator action games at the show. Duh!?!

Your mileage may vary… but from my chair the system didn’t perform as needed. 

• Sad 1

I'll pass too. I'm going with my OG 2600 Jr. Short Rainbow (the one I bought out of Toronto) as my 2600 unit of choice.

Once if and when I get an a/v modded Jr. I'll simply swap out the circuit boards between it and my short rainbow, I believe it's still up for grabs on eBay as I speak.