IGNORED

SOLD OUT: 3D Printed Vectrex Lightpens Built with Modern Components

Carey85

Hello, I have some 3D printed Vectrex lightpens available for sale. The cases, caps, lightpen strain reliefs, and connector housing are printed at high resolution in black PLA with very good fit and finish. Brand new 4mm cable used and is ~36" long, more than enough to use the pen comfortably. Instead of hacking up Genesis controller cables as is the norm, I've 3D printed a straight connector housing that contains a new DB-9 female connector that has been meticulously sanded to fit. In addition, I am now using CNC-milled PCBs for my builds. Pen is very sensitive when used directly on the screen but loses contact when pulled ~1" from the screen. I do not have an original lightpen to compare the two so I do not know if this pen is more or less accurate than the original in that regard. Utmost care was taken in the design and construction of this pen with ease of use and durability in mind. I made this pen as good as I possibly knew how while also keeping build costs/time in consideration to not pass it along to the end-user. If one is looking for an exact replica of the Vectrex lightpen, Sean Kelly sells one in his e-shop for $60 as of this writing. His overlays and multicart are unmatched and I have no reason to believe this his pen is any less so.

Price per pen is SOLD OUT shipped to US addresses. I can/will ship internationally for price of actual postage. First come, first served.

I currently have black available.

IMG_20231111_113233335.thumb.jpg.77d6777d5692993c0ba5eb0ed6d50df4.jpg

IMG_20231111_113253770.thumb.jpg.3612de9e71a0376c05105e1a0813177a.jpg

IMG_20231107_155525287.thumb.jpg.e0605e1e4175137595e0919d2a4e885f.jpg

IMG_20231008_213803443_HDR.thumb.jpg.07075d6716b943a383304e0a3cbafe04.jpg

Edited by Carey85
  • Like 3

As promised, build instructions are here: https://limadrooms.wordpress.com/2023/10/09/3d-printed-vectrex-lightpen-built-with-modern-components/ No pictures but you really shouldn't need them. If you do, you might want to rethink the build :-). Instead of using the 3D printed case, you could use a hacked up Genesis controller cable and an Expo pen case.

Edited by Carey85

13 hours ago, Carey85 said:

If you wish to build one of these on your own, I will be making build instructions available in the very near future. Anyone with basic soldering and handyman skills should be able to craft one.

Major kudos go out to Minestorm and InsaneDruid from Thingiverse making these 3D printed parts available for free use under the attribution clause of the Creative Commons license. Thanks also goes out to Ryo Mukai for discovering that this transistor package works without modifications or additional components.

Thought I recognized the Vectrex lightpen case. Thanks again to @Richard H. for the model creation and posting up on Thingiverse.

Edited by Vectrexer

3 hours ago, Vectrexer said:

Thought I recognized the Vectrex lightpen case. Thanks again to @Richard H. for the model creation and posting up on Thingiverse.

It's an exceptionally good model, especially the detail on the strain relief. I think he might have used phone cord or something similar in size for his original build so I had to upsize the hole in the strain relief to accommodate the cable I am using. I actually 'remixed' his strain relief to allow for 4.5mm cords (like the type used on aftermarket Genesis controllers, extension cables, and misc other systems that use a 9-pin and put it up for download with no strings attached beyond Richard's CC license. The lightpen is kind of a hoot and using Art Master to doodle nonsense on your Vectrex screen is more fun than it has any right to be.

• Like 1

Just to let everyone know that I am down to my last pen. I actually have two but I am keeping one on hand in the event of a return for fulfillment purposes. If and when everyone is happy with their pens, I will make it available. I'm going to put in an order for materials to make more pens so don't feel like you have missed out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...