IGNORED

Xenowings

davidcalgary29

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Even though I had watched the video recently, found the older demo was available from earlier this year and had to check it out. The game looks beautiful and the alien movements are impressive.

But I'm curious, what is the design reasoning or decision as to the player missile moving so glacially slow? It looks to be about a 3rd of the movement speed of Galaga and while it's just my personal opinion, ends up making a fast game (movement of aliens and the background are fast - dare I say too fast for the backdrop) shooting makes the game feel really slow, instead of a fast action blaster I would expect while playing Galaga. Maybe that's the intent? or maybe the speed increases later? For me, part of the fun with Galaga has always been the constant blasting that can be had to clear the stages quickly against the onslaught of aliens.

Outside of that, would you consider either making an option to halve the speed of the background movement and/or make an option (or cheat) for it to be completely static? I'm probably an exception to that, as I'm sure others love the background movement the way it is. It seems like an easy option to add so feel like it woudn't hurt to at least ask before released.

(Dev here)

Just watched the video and agree the shots fired from players ship need to be faster.

Yes, we will probably tweak that a bit.

Outside of that, would you consider either making an option to halve the speed of the background movement and/or make an option (or cheat) for it to be completely static? I'm probably an exception to that, as I'm sure others love the background movement the way it is. It seems like an easy option to add so feel like it woudn't hurt to at least ask before released.

Probably not, it's not something planned from the start. Besides, the parallax scrolling is a key feature since we wanted to showcase the Jaguar hardware.

Edited by micdune

7 hours ago, micdune said:

Probably not, it's not something planned from the start. Besides, the parallax scrolling is a key feature since we wanted to showcase the Jaguar hardware.

It was pretty late when I posted that and probably failed to specify the reasoning but would think that giving the player the ability to actually play the game without feeling nauseous after 5 minutes due to a 20mph background while focused on the center of the screen blasting baddies would be considered important feedback for consideration. One that might take precedence over showcasing what the Jag can do.

It’s not so much that it moves as much as it’s the speed and feel like the values for the firing and background are flipped.

And it’s not at all a remove it completely ask (I would never dare) simply an option ask to make static or halve the speed, even if just as a cheat.

Others had also mentioned how bright the background was but the recent video looks like it’s dimmer, so maybe there were changes there and as a result might make it less noticeable in affect.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2023 at 4:30 AM, Isgoed said:

As I downloaded and played the demo just recently, I have to say that I like this game very much.

The graphic style is great and the little details too, as the color of your bullets change according to the underlying background and the little dots that remain when you shoot an enemy.

Ship movement is slow indeed, but it matches the pace of the game/movement so as a whole it plays very well imo, this is in 60Hz. mode

In 50Hz. it's a different experience, the gamespeed is a lot slower, and so much that the action takes a big hit and is not much fun to play, IMO.

Also as the screen shrinks in size, there is a huge black bar below the display, and not above as if it is not vertically centered.

This demo is almost 6 months(?) old, so I can imagine that changes for the final release have been made.

Is a download available?