IGNORED

Games That Are Helped by the F18a 'Flicker Fix'?

Tempest

For space reasons I have my Colecovision hooked up and my ADAM in storage since I rarely played any ADAM specific games other than the Super Games and those have all been ported to the Colecovision with a SGM anyway.  However one thing my Colecovision doesn't have is an F18a, that is in my ADAM.  One of the cool things about the F18a is that it fixes the flicker problem when too many sprites are on the same line (plus some homebrews take advantage of it).  Does anyone have a list of games that really benefit from the 'flicker fix' the F18a provides?  Off the top of my head I can think of Burgertime and Tapper, but I'm sure there are other games with bad flicker in them that can be helped.  I'm trying to determine if it's worth getting my ADAM back out or if I can just make do with the Colecovision.

I haven't seen a comprehensive list of games that benefit from the F18a's increased capabilities such as allowing 32 sprites per line, but the one's that you and Pixelboy listed would definitely be on the list. Seems like the community could benefit from you putting a list together and that would be a good reason to setup the ADAM/F18a for a time being to compare to a CV with no F18a.

There are also some games that were programmed with a sprite flicker routine to compensate for the 4 sprites per line issue, so those particular games might display some sprite oddities when played with the F18a's jumper set to 32 sprites per line. One game that comes to mind is Antarctic Adventure when the penguin falls in a hole... his lower body should be concealed, but it is not.

There were also games programmed specifically to use the F18a's advanced video features and they include some of the Color Line games by Opcode Games and some that Leo Brophy released.

20 minutes ago, NIAD said:

There are also some games that were programmed with a sprite flicker routine to compensate for the 4 sprites per line issue, so those particular games might display some sprite oddities when played with the F18a's jumper set to 32 sprites per line. One game that comes to mind is Antarctic Adventure when the penguin falls in a hole... his lower body should be concealed, but it is not.

Never even thought about that.   Interesting.  I'd be interested in hearing if any other games were affected in the same way.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never noticed any oddities, or at least any that I would consider glaring in any way.  But what I love about it is how it not only fixes all the sprite flicker, but I find games just look clearer and more vibrant with the F18a.  Games like Burgertime, Tapper, and Time Pilot, IMO make a huge difference.  Here's a video I made a while ago comparing the two and I just find the overall graphic quality and style to be more my vibe:

Most of my games have a flicker algorithm because there is a lot of sprites:

* Princess Quest.

* Mecha-8

* Mecha-9

From original games I think:

* Defender.

* Donkey Kong.

* Donkey Kong Jr.

* Frenzy

* Congo Bongo

* Mr. Do's Castle

From the top of my head for homebrews I think:

* Module Man.

* Quest for the Golden Chalice.

* Arabian.

* TwinBee.

* Knightmare.

i think i implemented a flicker algorithm in all my games  except in  The Way of exploding foot , Pengy and Battle of Hoth.

I have never tested with F18a but i think  depending on the implementation i did in the best case it won't flicker at all  (in the case where i change sprites order)  and in the worst case it will flicker as it is on standard coleco  (when i hide/show sprite alternately when there is conflict, i did that stupid thing probably in my 2 first games like Ghost'n Zombie and Smurf challenge).

Edited by youki
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2024 at 7:58 PM, OrangeKryptonite said:

Does the CollectorVision Phoenix have the same F18a flicker fix?

Or do you need to mod a ColecoVision or ADAM to get these results?

It's the same F18A core, so yeah, has all the same features.