IGNORED

Super Pro Space Spartans

intvdave

Space Spartans is a game I loved as a kid and imagined there was not much to fix on it... until I started working on it. It is the one game of the 3 voice games (b-17 and bomb squad) that I changed the look of. The plan is to release all 3 as part of a CIB collection (1 game box/cart). I look forward to comments :)

shot0001.gif.b1eb4b6cf2b35def0ac344df6d53ec11.gif

; speed is determined on title screen (keypad or disc) - staring level is determined in menu
; show energy level on chart screen
; show which function is under repair
; show status of all functions on chart screen
; - blue text is on, black text is off
; - colors resprest damage - green = no damage, yellow=1/3 down, red=2/3, black=destroyed
; ship centers when disc is not pressed (fight screen) / stops moving
; tracking computer off by default
; repair all on by default
; hyperdrive default function operates by pressing 7 when game first starts
; auto shields - turns on when enemy in sector and off when no enemies
; shields are red
; starbases are different colors
; show starbase strengths in grid screen
; bonus points are not awarded at beginning of rounds
; when cursor is at same location as ship and you engage hyperdrive, your ship will go to the first strongest starbase

• Like 18

I had Space Spartans when o was a kid, but could never get into it much, even though I was into sci-if and space-themed games.  It wasn't my type of game -- I was more into action space shooters.

I played Bomb Squad a lot, and had marathon sessions on B-17 Bomber with my dad -- who was a WWII aficionado.  Space Spartans, though, I just found slow and too complex.

All that being said, I am excited and looking forward to see what you do with it, and I am certainly willing to give it a go and having my mind changed. :)

dZ.

• Like 1

Yeah I love Intellivision, but similar to DZ I never got into this one. I DID not own this one as a kid, but have played it a few times in the Inty HSC. I like the shoot out part, but hate the mapping part. It reminds me of Space Battle which again, I like the shoot out part, but hate the mapping part....

I absolutely stink at the game (Space Spartans)... Other players go for a hundred thousand points plus, me I struggle to get 5k, uggghhh 🤦‍♂️🥺

Edited by Rickster8
Added a little more text.

33 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

Yeah I love Intellivision, but similar to DZ I never got into this one......

Of the voice games, I was thinking B-17 Bomber might be the fan favorite game. I started hacking Bomb Squad first which turned into a natural progression to work on the other voice games so B-17 was next. Solar Sailer and World Series Baseball have already been updated leaving Space Spartans. My original plan was to update two things in it just so that it could be part of the collection. It ended up being where I put as much time into Spartans as I did B-17 and maybe even Bomb Squad. None of these games is for everyone but maybe everyone can find pleasure in one of the 3 games.

For some of my previous releases, some have told me that they would never play the original game after playing my hacked version of the game. I am hoping you will feel the same about one of these.

Edited by intvdave
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, intvdave said:

Of the voice games, I was thinking B-17 Bomber might be the fan favorite game. I started hacking Bomb Squad first which turned into a natural progression to work on the other voice games so B-17 was next. Solar Sailer and World Series Baseball have already been updated leaving Space Spartans. My original plan was to update two things in it just so that it could be part of the collection. It ended up being where I put as much time into Spartans as I did B-17 and maybe even Bomb Squad. None of these games is for everyone but maybe everyone can find pleasure in one of the 3 games.

For some of my previous releases, some have told me that they would never play the original game after playing my hacked version of the game. I am hoping you will feel the same about one of these.

Love bomb squad.... except for the 3-3 game where all you hear is right more, left more, down more, up more. :P It's like the controller cannot move at the right distance to make the game happy lol. All the other levels are great though. I didn't have Intellivoice games a s a kid..... I haven't gotten into B17 Bomber yet either, seems to complicated.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rickster8 said:

Love bomb squad.... except for the 3-3 game where all you hear is right more, left more, down more, up more. :P It's like the controller cannot move at the right distance to make the game happy lol. All the other levels are great though. I didn't have Intellivoice games a s a kid..... I haven't gotten into B17 Bomber yet either, seems to complicated.....

I have one word for your comment, Rickster8!

"Fixed"    

👍

• Thanks 1

I've been fortunate enough to be working with Dave and testing these three great games.  They're all games that I played the living SH*T out of when I was a kid, and have kept playing right through the years, because I simply love them.  As with most every remaster that Dave has done, I'm happy to say that he's taken three great games and is making them even better.  There's still work to be done, but rest assured, this is going to be a show stopper for fans of these games.

FYI:  If you saw my videos on the B17 & Bomb Squad betas, quite a few more improvements have been made since(and very well done, I might add).  I won't be doing any more videos on them until there's a finished product, and in the same vein, I'm going to wait for the Anthology's completion before I release anything on the upcoming Space Spartans.  No Beta videos for it.  I'm REALLY looking forward to this whole set of games!

Cheers!  (and thanks, Dave!)

• Like 2