1. 1. How do you say XB's "COINC"?

• "CO-INCE" just like "Coincidence"
    • "COINC" like "Oink!" of a pig
    • "COINCIDENCE" even though I type only COINC
    • something else

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/10/2023 at 10:00 PM

This brings up another pet peeve of mine - how do you say what year it is?

For the year 1909 you would say NINETEEN-O-NINE. You wouldn't say ONE THOUSAND NINE HUNDRED O NINE.

Yet for 2009, which to me should be pronounced TWENTY-O-NINE, many will say TWO THOUSAND O NINE, or TWO THOUSAND NINE. That's just plain wrong!

Alright, I've said my piece and now it's time to get off the soapbox.

• Haha 3

On 11/3/2023 at 2:11 AM, Tursi said:

I didn't know anyone cared till I got mocked on a Youtube video for saying "G-ROM" ;)

Same.

11 hours ago, Retrospect said:

it IS G-ROM !   I heard someone , can't remember which guy, said GROM like "grrrom" and just no!  stop!  🤣

Be ready... your head will explode when you talk to me :D

9 hours ago, senior_falcon said:

Most seem to say BEE-DOLLAR

:waving:  Though, it really depends upon with whom I am speaking.  In general, however, it is dollar (or percent with integer variables.)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2023 at 12:38 PM, jedimatt42 said:

That one, I always pronounced "Branch And Load Workspace Pointer", even in my internal voice. 

I first thought of it as 

BLWP : bluh-WHUHP) like in Wuss).  The sound that Munch Man makes. 

BL was just Bee Ell though. 
There was also ruh-TWUHP. And luh-WUHPIE. 

Was it LIM-MEE , or LIMEY?

I avoided CZC. 

Oh yeah: KO-ink. Like ko-INK-ee-dink. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FarmerPotato said:

Was it LIM-MEE , or LIMEY?

For me, LEE-MEE, for Load IMMEdiate.  Local colloquial pronunciations may vary, so if you pronounce "immediate" with an "I" sound from "it," then LIM-MEE or LI-MEE is what I would expect.  I must admit, that some things I actually sound out the letters.

Anyone who pronounces it "LEMMEE" did not get bullied enough in school.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I suppose the authoritative answer or all cases should simply be: 

1) Feed the command name to Terminal Emulator II's Text-to-Speech routine. 

2) Habitually use whatever pronunciation comes out and treat it as authoritative. 

Or for a more radical approach: 

1) Feed the command name to Speech Editor's (or XB's) CALL SAY command. 

2) Habitually use the pronunciation "UH OH" and treat it as authoritative. 

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

For me, LEE-MEE, for Load IMMEdiate.  Local colloquial pronunciations may vary, so if you pronounce "immediate" with an "I" sound from "it," then LIM-MEE or LI-MEE is what I would expect.  I must admit, that some things I actually sound out the letters.

Anyone who pronounces it "LEMMEE" did not get bullied enough in school.

It's high time that we turn to IPA notation. 🙂

• Like 2

10 hours ago, retrodroid said:

...and "gif" is "g" as in "good" too.  😎

Yes! Or, "g" as in "graphics interchange format"... Steve Wilhite is just wrong...

As an aside, 'gif' is the Dutch word for 'poison', and as such we pronounce it with a soft Dutch 'g' here in Flanders. Sounds a bit like 'chif' with the ch sound from the scottish "loch" in Holland, and sounds even softer like "kif" if you weren't allowed to 'click' your 'k' sound in Flemish, or 'hif' if you try to say it while constricting your throat a bit on the 'h' sound. I suggest we all standardize on that pronunciation to sidestep the whole debate 😛

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

I have no idea how to type any of that stuff.  So, it is good-old redneck "hooked on phonics" for me.

Like this: /oʊld si: ɛs wɒn/ . And I'd call me /mɪt͜sap͜f/ or /mi:t͜sap͜f/.  🙂

But if you don't talk IPA, this is yet another foreign language for you, but still the only way to unambiguously describe the phonetics for different languages. We even learned the basics in school.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mizapf said:

Like this: /oʊld si: ɛs wɒn/ . And I'd call me /mɪt͜sap͜f/ or /mi:t͜sap͜f/.  🙂

But if you don't talk IPA, this is yet another foreign language for you, but still the only way to unambiguously describe the phonetics for different languages. We even learned the basics in school.

Looks like Elvish to me.

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

(Note: ['bjɑ:nə 'sdʁʌʊ̯ˀsdʁɔb])

Now you are just showing off :P

6 hours ago, TheMole said:

Yes! Or, "g" as in "graphics interchange format"... Steve Wilhite is just wrong...

"Choosy developers choose GIF."

German, the language of giants from its genesis, has a, generally speaking, generous genealogy.  And so on.  At my state office, spurred by this very debate, we had a large marker board filled with "g" words starting with the "j" sound.  It just is.

Of course, we also had this on our marker board:

"What is the opposite of:

1. Always
  2. Coming
  3. From
  4. Take
  5. Me
  6. Down"

• Haha 3

On 11/1/2023 at 6:28 PM, SteveB said:

It is obvious, that CALL COINC is derived from the word "coincidence" ... but do you really say "CALL CO-INCE" ? It might be different between native english speakers and others...

For the reason you point out, it's absolutely "co-inse" as in "coincidence."  To say it any other way, to me, feels ridiculous.

Every word needs to be considered according to its derivation.  In terms of both meaning and pronunciation.   Otherwise, it really HAS no function...  insofar as the purpose of language is to clearly and accurately convey information, without the need to define every word every time we use it.  The more you deviate from what a word really means, and where it really came from, the more confusion you sow. 

I fried a fingertip a couple of weeks ago...  A big arc while soldering together a high-amp battery pack.  Thankfully, my ground strap steered it away from my heart... But it all went through my finger anyway.  I have a numb crater in my "phone typing fingertip" right now, which makes typing challenging.  And untoduces a lot of typos.  But hopefully, proper use of the language makes my meaning clear even when I let a string of typos through!  

If "CALL COINC" is evaluating the coincidence of two entities...  which is exactly what it does, right...  the only clear and accurate pronunciation must be derived from "coincidence."  Otherwise, we're just muddying up the language. 

• Confused 1