IGNORED

LynxJam 2023 invitation

Igor

Hi all! It's that time of the year again and you're invited to participate in LynxJam 2023!

We're mixing it up a bit again and as has been a popular request in the past - we're going to provide you with a tile set to use.

The jam starts on the 27th of November and will end on the 17th of December. Please check the jam page for more information, rules, etc

https://itch.io/jam/lynxjam-2023

image.thumb.png.ee04458b09c354f9e09c3e73c7ad0653.png

• Like 11

Wonderful Igor, this is great news!

Thanks a lot for keeping this Jam alive, and for offering various and original theme each year. I love this year theme and the fact that we are given a "tile set" to start with.

I wasn't able to participate in 2021 and 2022 due to lack of time, but this year I should be able to finally participate again in the LynxJam! I'm eager to discover the "tile set", and to see all the cool games everybody will create :)

• Like 7

5 hours ago, drludos said:

Wonderful Igor, this is great news!

Thanks a lot for keeping this Jam alive, and for offering various and original theme each year. I love this year theme and the fact that we are given a "tile set" to start with.

I wasn't able to participate in 2021 and 2022 due to lack of time, but this year I should be able to finally participate again in the LynxJam! I'm eager to discover the "tile set", and to see all the cool games everybody will create :)

Looking forward to seeing the games too! Glad you can participate this year!

• Like 1

Hey all, the jam has started and the tile set is now released. I missed sending info out so the timeline is extended by 8 hours, my bad, it was midnight here and I fell asleep!

I won't be using this thread as the main discussion channel, please use the community on itch.io for that purpose - https://itch.io/jam/lynxjam-2023/community

You can also hop over to Discord in the #lynx-game-dev channel - https://discord.gg/yt3Ue7hTW9

Let's see your amazing games!

• Like 1

Glad you like it @karri. This is my play field and a bomb. I've changed some colours and removed some floor tile pixels, as well as adding a wall for the "maze". It's making use of the images but also changing them to suit my idea for the game.

Between the tile set and the game library I've been putting together for myself, it's very quick to code something up.

image.png.0437ba4e556ee4df11f07cb768b00862.png

• Like 2

I made the intro screen and the title screen, and I'm already at 37.7 KB, Too much? don't know. Most of the GFX I need are already in.

Let's See. I plan to make 3 mini games, if I go short of memory I'll make only 2 or 1, but it would be a pity.

Can't remenmber how is the rule about previews. Can I post WIP screenshots and demos, or is it better to release everything at the end?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nop90 said:

Can't remenmber how is the rule about previews. Can I post WIP screenshots and demos, or is it better to release everything at the end?

If you wait till the end you will miss all the oohs and aahs from your fellow developers.

But I can release a bit of text from my game already:

"The little girl and the frog exchanged curious glances as they noticed the absence of the rainbow in the sky."

Starting.png.505b2caecb665dff40db08527200f810.png

"What has happened to our vibrant rainbow lately?" the frog asked.

• Like 3

Here we are, the core of the game is now ready (just need to add a limitation to number of teleports per level)

It's time to work on level design. The Lynxjam version whould have from 5 to 7 real levels (3x3 grid, requiring to use wisely each character)

As I like the game, I may do a more polished version in 2024, with ability to load stuff from ROM, so more level, a real title screen and a better map screen...

Edited by Fadest
  • Like 4

I have to give up with DungeOlympics, as always I forgot how much is time consuming to code a CPU controlled opponent, I tried but the result is not so fun to play. I'll keep this project in the closet waiting to have and idea for some better mini games to add (or to have time to fix what I already coded). 

But I have a backup project, I'm reskinning the FinalMelee prototype with the tileset of the Jam.

Here is a mockup of the game screen:

image.png.6d12f68929c0acb5784cc99bb6e828d7.png

Edited by Nop90
  • Like 3

My game is now playable and it took 19k on the 7800. But all the minigames are still not written. The idea is to have a board game where you advance from square to square and interact with characters and small games.

map2.thumb.png.37a6135e6a908700d14341b0e47a59a9.png

The biggest question is the sounds. I would like to use Furnace tracker for platform independent music. But there is just 10 days left...

Plus I need to figure out the differences with a 320 pixel display on the 7800 and the 160 pixel display on the Lynx...

• Like 4

Just created a page on Itch.io for the new project with some screenshots and the lnx rom with the game intro.

This is the title screen and a print screen of the middle of the intro:

image.png.cbfc811e6d6368bdd8e8364a7ec126a2.png  image.png.eb5095f650c8ae4e00fa2dbae9561719.png

The game engine seems to be working, but have to add all the graphics for the game commands. No sleep tonight.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1