IGNORED

LynxJam 2023 invitation

Igor

12 hours ago, drludos said:

Cool! I'm impressed to see so many enemies moving onscreen at the same time :).

Gameplay wise, it's a nice take on a classic game. I love that there are a lot of enemies. I don't know what you have planned for the next steps, but maybe it would be more challenging if the enemies moved faster as we destroy them, and could shoot back at the player (like the original game :)).

Yes, this is planned. Also different types and of course scoring 🙂 But not sure if I make it until dead line. But will try to finish it up to the point where it is playable. 

14 hours ago, Igor said:

Excellent you're trying this without even owning a Lynx, that's great! I found the number of enemies overwhelming so reducing them will make a good difference.

It runs well on real hardware. Would be good to see a variety of enemies!

I have 8 different enemies. They use simple paths but the graphics make them nice to look at if nothing else. For most of the enemies I can vary their number and how many hits they take. I may try for lots of enemies in the early rounds where a single hit kills them. Then in later rounds, where they need multiple hits, reduce their number. That's the theory anyway. I also have a large boss like enemy but it's very basic. I'd have liked to have done more with it but I have run out of time.

None of the enemies are sequenced yet so that's what my remaining time goes on.

5 hours ago, Nop90 said:

@playsoft do you draw every single tile of the background floor and wall? If the dungeon scrolling background is always the same, with a large 160x102 image (drawned 2 times side by side) you could save some SCB processing time

Yes, I draw them as 77 tiles, each 16x16 pixels. It's good to know that drawing larger blocks will help - that would be an interesting part of owning a Lynx, trying out different blocks and seeing how they behave.

I reduced the number of enemies yesterday but I still felt anxious because I can't tell when slowdown occurs under emulation. So I had a late night and made most of the changes for 30Hz. It doesn't look too bad as a lot of the enemies only moved left every other frame anyway. Probably the thing I notice most is that the flight of the arrows is not as smooth.

After hours of coding I finally managed to squeeze in my 7800 screen data to tiny, tiny Lynx screen. At least the engine works so I have a small chance to get my game together by Sunday.

Nyttkuva2023-12-15221928.thumb.png.0f88d207952f34c94b60452a70c4b839.png

PS. I have to put a note somewhere that 320 pixels in the 7800 is more than 160 pixels on the Lynx. That is the reason why I should first code it on the Lynx and then on the 7800...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, karri said:

After hours of coding I finally managed to squeeze in my 7800 screen data to tiny, tiny Lynx screen. At least the engine works so I have a small chance to get my game together by Sunday.

Nyttkuva2023-12-15221928.thumb.png.0f88d207952f34c94b60452a70c4b839.png

PS. I have to put a note somewhere that 320 pixels in the 7800 is more than 160 pixels on the Lynx. That is the reason why I should first code it on the Lynx and then on the 7800...

With the original display you could use my microfont. Then you have 480 pixels per line ;-) But on the new LCDs it is barely readable.

9 minutes ago, 42bs said:

With the original display you could use my microfont. Then you have 480 pixels per line ;-) But on the new LCDs it is barely readable.

I actually had a faint memory that you did a monochrome font with tons of pixels. But my code uses colours for showing who is talking so I go with my font.

I've just submitted my game "Running Knight" to the competition page on Itch.io.

running-knight.gif.025126049a73d53ec81b4ce51db89919.gif

You can play it here: https://drludos.itch.io/running-knight

How to play:

You control a Knight that is always running in a maze full of deadly pillars and treasure chests. How long can you run?

- Use the D-Pad to move and hold A or B to run instead of walking.
- Press Option 2 to enable / disable music.

I hope you'll enjoy it!

As usual, the fully commented source code is included on the download page. Made with CC65 Karri edition, so 100% in C, using a base template by Karri and Nop90 (back from 2019), with extra code from Fadest to compile the game both in .lnx and .o formats (back from 2020). Thanks again everyone for your help.

I noticed that there are 10 entries submitted so far, this is wonderful!

Looking forward to play all your games :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, drludos said:

I noticed that there are 10 entries submitted so far, this is wonderful!

9 with a game submitted, two with only a screenshot and other 3 that joined but didn't released anything yet. But they have 11h 40 mins to submit something. 

A great result so far.

Edited by Nop90

Here is a small video of my LynxJam 2023 entry "Rainbow"

The game is still work-in-progress...

The goal is to increase your coins to fill the pot at the end of the rainbow. That is the only way to return the colors to Rainbow Valley. There is multiple ways to get the coins to multiply. Solve puzzles, invest in stock market, try your luck in gambling etc.

Unfortunately I underestimated the time it takes to code this. This also happens to be a dual release so there is an Atari 7800 binary also.

Updated 30.12.2023

rainbow.lnxrainbow.o

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing every LYNX JAM 2023 ENTRY on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us!

Games:

• Like 2

On 1/15/2024 at 9:23 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing every LYNX JAM 2023 ENTRY on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us!

Thanks for playing Dungeddon! I didn't have time to add difficulty options, so the first three rounds are really for beginners and the fourth round is harder with enemies requiring multiple hits.

It was disappointing to see the "Might it be that you have your cooked game and wait for the tile set to use?" comment by vitoco8bits. I imagine I'll be told it was a completely innocent question but to me it's an implication of cheating. The source code is in the zip file so anyone can see what I did and, by looking at the timestamps, when I did it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, playsoft said:

It was disappointing to see the "Might it be that you have your cooked game and wait for the tile set to use?" comment by vitoco8bits. I imagine I'll be told it was a completely innocent question but to me it's an implication of cheating. The source code is in the zip file so anyone can see what I did and, by looking at the timestamps, when I did it.

Don't take that comment too bad, if the game looks good than it meas that you made a good work in so few time.

And anuway I had an early unfinished prototype of the game (from long time) but I don't feel a cheater. It took me a lot of work to complete the game and fix all the bugs,  and LynxMas is a Jam not a competition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, playsoft said:

Thanks for playing Dungeddon! I didn't have time to add difficulty options, so the first three rounds are really for beginners and the fourth round is harder with enemies requiring multiple hits.

I can only double Nop90's comment. vitoco8bits has likely no idea about game programming in general and on the Lynx in special.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, playsoft said:

It was disappointing to see the "Might it be that you have your cooked game and wait for the tile set to use?" comment by vitoco8bits. 

That would be a strange way of doing game for a coder :D

I guess sometimes the tileset can fit a previous unfinished prototype or POC like @Nop90 did, but this can never be an intentional move. And even, this imply quite a lot of work to replace placeholder graphics by a given tileset (so not made on the game requisite - on the opposite to commission a graphist to rework on assets), especially if this is quite an old code.

And I am very happy it gave nop90 the occasion to rework on his game because I found the idea very promising many years ago and it is a nice thing the game has been resurrected.