IGNORED

ATASCII Screens From De-Rezilyzer

EddyFree

So I was looking for some ATASCII screens for a couple of potential projects I was considering doing and all I could find in my stash was a handful of screens from back in my BBS'ing days. Back then I was on a few boards and there were some really talented ATASCII artists on three or four of them. The boards even had message bases dedicated to the artwork. Sadly, I didn't save many of them, thought they'd be there forever I guess. Unfortunately, when it comes to art, I can't draw a proper stick figure much less create decent ATASCII artwork.
  I started looking in various online disk collections without much luck. Then I happened to remember a program I downloaded back in the day that fascinated me at the time called "De-Rezilyzer" by "The Mad Programmer". It took Koala Pictures and converted them to ATASCII screens. I located it in my disk collection and loaded it up into Altirra and was playing around with it for a few days.
  After a while I got the itch to write one of my own for the PC that would convert BMP images instead of Koala pics. So I put together a little program and finally got it to work.
  It's interesting because some images come out great, and others no so much. It should be mentioned that "Freehand" is always the best "quality" for ATASCII IMO. Many of the converted images have artifacts that need to be "cleaned up" and such. But any ATASCII is better than none at all. Anyhow, I made this thread to share some of the ATASCII screens I've converted and cleaned up so far and probably some I'll do in the future as well.

• Like 10

On 11/16/2023 at 4:34 PM, EddyFree said:

So I was looking for some ATASCII screens for a couple of potential projects I was considering doing and all I could find in my stash was a handful of screens from back in my BBS'ing days. Back then I was on a few boards and there were some really talented ATASCII artists on three or four of them. The boards even had message bases dedicated to the artwork. Sadly, I didn't save many of them, thought they'd be there forever I guess. Unfortunately, when it comes to art, I can't draw a proper stick figure much less create decent ATASCII artwork.
  I started looking in various online disk collections without much luck. Then I happened to remember a program I downloaded back in the day that fascinated me at the time called "De-Rezilyzer" by "The Mad Programmer". It took Koala Pictures and converted them to ATASCII screens. I located it in my disk collection and loaded it up into Altirra and was playing around with it for a few days.
  After a while I got the itch to write one of my own for the PC that would convert BMP images instead of Koala pics. So I put together a little program and finally got it to work.
  It's interesting because some images come out great, and others no so much. It should be mentioned that "Freehand" is always the best "quality" for ATASCII IMO. Many of the converted images have artifacts that need to be "cleaned up" and such. But any ATASCII is better than none at all. Anyhow, I made this thread to share some of the ATASCII screens I've converted and cleaned up so far and probably some I'll do in the future as well.

That is really a neat program.   Do you plan to share your program with the Atari community?

On 11/20/2023 at 5:52 PM, rra said:

That is really a neat program.   Do you plan to share your program with the Atari community?

The program I threw together is very raw and pretty much a work in progress. It's a private utility with defects and not something I'm looking to release. With that said, I made this thread to share the good ATASCII it sometimes creates, not the program itself.

As someone else mentioned above, there are better programs that do something similar.