IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Hardware

Blinky

16 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

It already has 4:3 and 16:9, it's switchable with a switch on the back of the console.

I gotta say, between this and the claim that it doesn't use Stella (which you later edited when everyone corrected you), I'm starting to think you don't really know what you're talking about.

I just forgot its had a switch for 4:3 thats all at the back of it, use to seeing it as a option in the GUI that all.
What I meant about not using Stella is I mean its a port of Stella and not Stella by the Stella Team, and the port could be old too so is not as new as original Stella.
I know what Stella is in Retroarch, it a core, like the cores in Mister and a libretro version of it so it not part of the original Stella, its a port of it like PUAE, its only supported by libretro so can be out of date with the original Stella, running original Stella would be better then a port of it and its always up to date with the original but depends on if the Atari2600 Plus can run it, because it only has 256mb ram.
I do have ADHD so do not always say the right thing.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

To lighten the mood I thought I'd share my latest bit of tinkering with the hardware, a super high end mod that I've just completed.

I hope you all enjoy. 😁

IMG_20240206_153414.jpg

Good idea labeling the difficulty switches so you can see it. I’m going to do that also!  Is it A/B or B/A after the firmware update?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Plumbob said:

Good idea labeling the difficulty switches so you can see it. I’m going to do that also!  Is it A/B or B/A after the firmware update?

I have followed how it is marked on the console, which after the update(s)is now correct, remember correct as marked on the console. Not classic style

32 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

To lighten the mood I thought I'd share my latest bit of tinkering with the hardware, a super high end mod that I've just completed.

I hope you all enjoy. 😁

IMG_20240206_153414.jpg

Great use of era-correct materials!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Dont worry about it bro, you're a good man, I've been enjoying your posts for many years, I enjoy the depth of complexity you get into these systems, way over my head but super interesting to read what you get upto, all the best my man and keep on trucking.

Thanks... :) I am not good with explaining things sometime and people take me what I said the wrong way, had it all my life being treated differently, that the way it is, so I am cool with it.. :).
It all started with THEC64 Mini, I wanted to know how it worked and then PCUAE was born... :) so far I have supported every model RGL has made, as soon as THEC64 Mini came on per order in GAME I ordered it, if I didn't, it be so different now, amazing how one decision changes things... :) there be no PCUAE, PCUAE was not planed, it just happened, I wanted to play my own games on the carousel so I made a script that could do it, it was called `Run Carousel Games from USB`that why PCUAE had a folder in it called `Carousel_Games`, it doesn't no more, PCUAE is the longest thing I worked on, because I have ADHD my tension span is very low so if do something more then 2 weeks I would get board of it, it happened to every job I had and if I get board and walk a way from it, I never knew why I did that, until now, I am the only one in my family who has ADHD, my brother does not have it, and he does the same job he did 30 years ago.

Edited by Spanner
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

I hope you all enjoy. 😁

IMG_20240206_153414.jpg

Executive level problem solving.  Give this man a raise and shares in the company.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, D Train said:

Executive level problem solving.  Give this man a raise and shares in the company.

Thank you, thank you. 

I'm glad that my talents are finally being recognised. I'm the guy who could have made E.T. in four weeks!

• Haha 2

Yep so lucky it was make in 2018 not 2019(Covid), you didn't make THEA500 Mini until 2021.

THEC64 Mini was a big project too, it had 2 models the PAL(March 28th) and NTSC(Oct 9th) models, it would be interesting how many you build properly 4000 plus I guess... :)

14 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

THEC64 Mini changed my life also, I thank my lucky stars that day the Retro Games Limited guys came into the Koch UK office and did a deal with my boss.

... :)

I thought I try Retroarch 1.7.0 from PCUAE that runs in THEC64 in the Atari2600 Plus, it was complaining about libs files it needed so I added them but then nothing, nothing on the Putty screen, looking at ps, it ran Retroarch but because its a KSM/DRM machine it does not use fb0 (framebuffer 0, it for the screen), it has /dev/fb0 but it does nothing so if you run a program that uses fb0 it does nothing too... :( , it was worth a try, it all about trial and error, you do not know if you do not try.. :)

KSM/DRM has been out a long time on PC Linux(Ubuntu, Linux Mint), but only now has Arm Linux caught up, it depends on what Buildroot has in it at build time... :) so its not the developer fault.

Its the first mini console(its smaller then the original Atari VCS, I do wish it had that name as well, but see why it doesn't because of the new Atari VCS Console and its a 7800 console too, I wanted to get one of them too(the new VCS Console) but you have to order them from the US so imposable to get in the UK(you can try eBay but they are like £600 on there when they are $250 on the US website), I do wish Atari had a website in Europe too or in the UK, Atari do have companies in other countries but its how much money they have to do it that matters and how much risk they are will to take with a new website, no one might not bite so end up losing money so why they only have one website now) that has KSM/DMS, the rest use fb0.

Edited by Spanner

On 1/22/2024 at 9:21 PM, Blinky said:

So I looked through my USB stuff and made a cursed contraption to power the 2600+ through the USB-C connector and hook-up a keyboard (or other USB device):

image.thumb.png.0ecf7ba4947e510792213d79e337df25.png

Found out the following keys:

• ESC exit game
  • F1 menu
  • F2 save game state
  • F4 load game state
  • F9 toggle sound on/off
  • O exit game
  • P pause game on/off
  • H reset
  • K pause on only
  • L faster speed while pressed
  • ASZ + cursors for joystick 1
  • SPACE - toggle max speed on/off

When exiting the emulator with ESC or O, the loading screen (from dmenu.bin) will appear again but ends up in loading failed as the dumper doesn't (re)send the dump. The cart has to be pulled and reinserted or the 2600+ needs to be power cycled.

Would this USB Adapter work, I want to make sure I get the right one...?
Type C To USB Adapter USB A 3.0 Female USB C Male.

It looks alot like the one above.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325745285487

s-l1600.png

Edited by Spanner

To get the 2600+ to look like a proper usb-c legacy device, I used a usb-c to usb-a adapter...

usb_c_to_a.jpg.3faf0770a6b314974a2ca33df5a9c818.jpg

...and plugged the USB-A end into the USB-A to USB-C cable that comes with the 2600+.

This arrangement should allow the 2600+ to work with anything that's USB-C standards compliant, like USB-C computers or compliant USB-C OTG splitters. (the latter is how I'm connecting a keyboard).

I seem to have poor luck picking cursed adapters, and I didn't want to Frankenstein a cable, so intentionally "fixing" the legacy pull-down issue was the easiest course for me.

• Like 3

On 2/7/2024 at 4:29 PM, Dionoid said:

I bought these from Amazon, which worked for me:

https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B00EJP5XR2

https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B0B8PBDZS9

image.thumb.png.a60698eebca9e31b13d70210b882422d.pngimage.png.21d6dd816513b9d5b6ded5a819ebd3ee.png

I first tried some USB C OTG cables, no luck.

Then I tried a Micro USB OTG cable with an adapter to USB C and it works. It goes into the Atari 2600+. On the adapter I connected a hub with power cable and a keyboard.

F1 after the game started and I could use save states. Backspace to the upper menu.

Well I can't do much and the cursor keys work as a joystick😊

So Micro USB OTG cables with an adapter seem to be a solid entry🙃

20240208_230047.jpg

20240208_230135.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

I first tried some USB C OTG cables, no luck.

Then I tried a Micro USB OTG cable with an adapter to USB C and it works. It goes into the Atari 2600+. On the adapter I connected a hub with power cable and a keyboard.

F1 after the game started and I could use save states. Backspace to the upper menu.

Well I can't do much and the cursor keys work as a joystick😊

So Micro USB OTG cables with an adapter seem to be a solid entry🙃

20240208_230047.jpg

20240208_230135.jpg

Can you actually save states though, or can you just see the save state menu that can’t write to anything because the storage is actually write protected?

Dose a USB Stick work via the USB- C Port, I tried with a USB A Female to USB-C Male(I got yesterday the one that say 3 Pack above), it powers on now but still has a problem with the USB Drive and does not mount it, you might be able to use other devices but not a USB Stick/drive.

Edited by Spanner

6 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Can you actually save states though, or can you just see the save state menu that can’t write to anything because the storage is actually write protected?

Well, I could use save states. Did a save in Pitfall, walked to 2nd screen, did a load and Harry was back in 1st screen.

But I do not expect it to be saved in the machine after power off. Will check it next time but really doubt any save will survive power off🤔

5 hours ago, Spanner said:

Dose a USB Stick work via the USB- C Port, I tried with a USB A Female to USB-C Male(I got yesterday the one that say 3 Pack above), it powers on now but still has a problem with the USB Drive and does not mount it, you might be able to use other devices but not a USB Stick/drive.

Yeah, an USB pad did not work as well.

Nothing new for the world but at least I had my 1st contact and some change in the software might give more possibilities in the future?

I do not want to solder and use the internal USB port but only use this external access. 

I have Stella working on mine now and able to load games in it GUI, I can use THEA500 Gamepad to change modes now to by pressing Menu+A button on it to swich it to Stella Mode and Menu+B to switch back... :) 
I have released it in the other 
thread, I was able to get it to use the Shortcut Scripts in PCUAE so they work on the Atari2600 Plus using THEGamepad plugged into a USB Port.