IGNORED

Time Pilot compatibility?

Perceval70

I have a very nice condition Time Pilot cartridge for the 2600. When I put it in the 2600+ , I do not get "loading failed", simply nothing happens. I just get a blank screen after the initial Atari logo. Cleaning did not make any difference. The compatibly list indicates that Time Pilot passed BUT my cart doesn't seem to work. I don't have access to original hardware to test. Can anyone else confirm if their Time Pilot cart works or not?

On 11/23/2023 at 5:55 PM, ls650 said:

That video mentions issues with Popeye.  Maybe that's with the PAL version?  My NTSC cart runs fine.

I didn't have any problems with Popeye either. That guy is in the UK, so probably. 

It's a bit frustrating becuase some carts take a while and a cleaning to get going but then they're fine and then there are some that seem to not work at all. 

I have a pretty mint Time Pilot, which works fine on my 2600. It does not work on the 2600+, even with the usual cleaning/fiddling. 

A couple of other carts I have not gotten to work:

Rescue Terra I: Boots but text is garbled, and crashes to a pink screen shortly after booting. Works fine on a real 2600. 

Omega Race: Won't boot at all

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

Not 100% sure if what I’m seeing matches anyone else, but just got Time Pilot and it’s giving me a strange emulation problem on 1.1 fw. The text is backwards and won’t show the main playfield. 

@Ben from Plaion

has this issue cropped up on testing?

IMG_3906.jpeg

Same for me. Btw, my cart is NTSC.

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I know Time Pilot boots to a mess. I need to find a cart and send it to the developer to be fixed. I looked on eBay and couldnt find one, I will get my hands on one soon somehow.

I will post on here when mine arrives, if you don't have one by then you can borrow mine. :)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2024 at 11:01 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

I know Time Pilot boots to a mess. I need to find a cart and send it to the developer to be fixed. I looked on eBay and couldnt find one, I will get my hands on one soon somehow.

@Ben from Plaion

My NTSC Time Pilot has just arrived, I haven't even tried it myself yet.

Would you like to borrow it?

On 2/4/2024 at 11:01 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

I've seen this before during emulation development. Time Pilot is a UA cartridge but this is what it looks like if it's treated as a regular F8 cartridge.

Just now, JetSetIlly said:

I've seen this before during emulation development. Time Pilot is a UA cartridge but this is what it looks like if it's treated as a regular F8 cartridge.

Right, does this mean it could be fixed without me sending the cart? If so I am willing to put some unreleased firmware on my 2600 Plus to check that the fix works.

Seems like if this works then its quicker than my cart going between different people.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Right, does this mean it could be fixed without me sending the cart? If so I am willing to put some unreleased firmware on my 2600 Plus to check that the fix works.

Seems like if this works then its quicker than my cart going between different people.

Nothing beats using the original cart - the dev puts in a machine that dumps the cartridge contents, then it's a relatively easy case of diagnosing and updating the dumper chip software accordingly.

• Like 2