IGNORED

Games That Look Fantastic on the 2600+

Parrothead

I felt exactly the same.  For some reason I thought I'd heard or expected there to be a scanline switch or something, but in spite of no filters, the graphics on this thing are gorgeous.  I don't think Atari graphics ever really relied much on scanlines or dithering or whatever the way some later consoles did, it just gives a more vintage feel to the image, but I'm not unhappy with what I'm seeing.

• Like 1

I've never understood the obsession with artificial scanlines (real CRT now, I understand that), to me they just degrade the image quality. But it's a personal preference thing. 

I always loved vector games so anything sharp and bright is great to me.

It might be more of a third and fourth video game generation thing honestly. I've heard the arguments for shading and color on those systems with them and been shown images, but remain unconvinced.

Edited by tradyblix
spelling

38 minutes ago, Beatley82 said:

I always think that the 2600 is the one system I prefer without a scan line or bilinear filtering options, the big blocky graphics lend themselves to the sharp high def image output.

Yes, that applies to the 2600 games.

I love the look of H.E.R.O very much🤙

For 7800 games I put a scanline generator in front of the TV input.

Commando 7800 on my Retropie emulation did not look as nice as from my real 7800 connected via Retrotink5x which generates a perfect trinitron look.

The simple generator is not so much advanced, so I tuned down the effect to a minimum.

About Commando 7800 on the 2600+ I can tell anything, as I am from a PAL country and we keep on waiting for coming fixes😉

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, tradyblix said:

I've never understood the obsession with artificial scanlines (real CRT now, I understand that), to me they just degrade the image quality. But it's a personal preference thing. 

I always loved vector games so anything sharp and bright is great to me.

It might be more of a third and fourth video game generation thing honestly. I've heard the arguments for shading and color on those systems with them and been shown images, but remain unconvinced.

It's what constitutes as scan lines for me.

Some games have options for them and as you say and it just makes the image look crap.

It's like when people put VHS filters on stuff, it looks nothing like VHS did back in the day. VHS along with old game consoles on a CRT look lovely, when you hook them up to (some) modern TVs - not so good.

• Like 1

As someone owing a lot of those so called Mini Consoles like the Core Grafx Mini, NES Mini, SNES Mini and Mega Drive Mini I have to say that the Atari 2600+ is probalby the console gaining the most from a crisp and clean high definition output.

I always loved the beautiful vibrant colour pallet that was baked into the TIA chip. And on black backgrounds those bright colours do really stand out. 😄

• Like 2