IGNORED

Driving Controller CX20 (Indy 500) compatibility with 2600+

Shippy

Hi everyone. My original CX20 driving controllers don't seem to work with the Atari 2600+. Does the same thing happen to anyone else?

The Indy 500 game works perfectly on the 2600+, but the driving controller only works with the acceleration button, it is not possible to turn the cars.

Thanks.

On 11/29/2023 at 8:51 AM, Shippy said:

My original CX20 driving controllers don't seem to work with the Atari 2600+. Does the same thing happen to anyone else?

Yes.  Most 8-direction joysticks and paddles work; most other controllers do not, including the driving controller, the keyboard controller, Sega Genesis controllers, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Weirdly enough, I've just discovered that Indy 500 is playable with a joystick on the 2600+.  Moving the joystick left and right will rotate your vehicle accordingly.  Sadly, the same is not true for Indy 500 XE.  I'm guessing Plaion set up some kind of custom control scheme .  Hopefully it's one that extends to PAL users and can be extended to other games if Driving controller support if off the table.

41 minutes ago, KainXavier said:

Weirdly enough, I've just discovered that Indy 500 is playable with a joystick on the 2600+.  Moving the joystick left and right will rotate your vehicle accordingly.  Sadly, the same is not true for Indy 500 XE.  I'm guessing Plaion set up some kind of custom control scheme .  

For Indy 500 XE, there are no properties defined in Stella (there are just way too many hacks to keep track). So it has to auto detect the controllers and fails. I guess (without an UI that is impossible to say for sure) that's the reason. 

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KainXavier said:

Weirdly enough, I've just discovered that Indy 500 is playable with a joystick on the 2600+.  Moving the joystick left and right will rotate your vehicle accordingly.  Sadly, the same is not true for Indy 500 XE.  I'm guessing Plaion set up some kind of custom control scheme .  Hopefully it's one that extends to PAL users and can be extended to other games if Driving controller support if off the table.

Yes, I realized that, but the joystick driving experience is very annoying, and the position of the joystick button to accelerate while trying to drive left and right is insufferable.
Only a driving controller with a steering wheel allows you to enjoy this wonderful game.

I still hope that the Atari 2600+ will be upgradeable to the driving controller.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
22 hours ago, Shippy said:

Hi there, does anyone have any news about the compatibility of the Driving Controller?

Thank you.

Somewhere in China they got the Driving Controller working on a 7800+ prototype (see first video). It's unknown whether the Driving Controller is also going to be supported for the 2600+.

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dionoid said:

En algún lugar de China, consiguieron que el controlador de conducción funcionara en un prototipo del modelo 7800+ (ver el primer vídeo). No se sabe si el controlador de conducción también será compatible con el modelo 2600+.

Thank you very much for the info Dionoide, I will eagerly await a possible update for compatibility with the driving controler.