IGNORED

2600+ compatibility with other joysticks/arcade sticks?

Intellivision Master

I recently got my 2600+ and I tested the 7800 gamepad on it.  The gamepad works very well & it can be used on 2600/7800 games.  I used it to play Berzerk enhanced.  The other controller I tested was the Fighter Stick SG-6.  Sadly, it doesn't work. It has the DB9 connection but the 2600+ didn't recognize it.  Maybe the firmware update will fix that.

1 hour ago, tripled79 said:

I noticed the length of the cable of the new CX40 is shorter than the original CX40.

Hmm.  I put my new CX-40+ next to my old original CX-40.  The new Plus stick has the longer cable in the attached photo...

20231216_184047.jpg

On 12/15/2023 at 3:10 PM, Intellivision Master said:

I recently got my 2600+ and I tested the 7800 gamepad on it.  The gamepad works very well & it can be used on 2600/7800 games.  I used it to play Berzerk enhanced.  The other controller I tested was the Fighter Stick SG-6.  Sadly, it doesn't work. It has the DB9 connection but the 2600+ didn't recognize it.  Maybe the firmware update will fix that.

For Sega controllers you need the Mega7800 adapter. You can find it on Atariage and other shops.

• Like 1

I think I'm in the few that actually prefers short cables.

As a kid I'd always play Atari  right up on the TV.  As an adult I'm sitting at a desk 3ft from the monitor.  Long cords just get in the way.

If I'm going to hook up to the living room TV, I've extension cables or looking for wireless solutions.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2023 at 1:40 AM, tripled79 said:

Speaking of joysticks, I noticed the length of the cable of the new CX40 is shorter than the original CX40.

Oddly, the new paddle cords are longer than the original paddle cord...

All the original CX40 Joystick cables I've seen are 1.2m. The CX40+ was set at 1.5m

Maybe Atari did some longer cables with CX40s back in the day.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tripled79 said:

Hmm... That's interesting. Mine is 2 meters long!

1f0ddeb7-e3f6-48d0-80c0-c3577cbc3734_tex

Sorry, couldn't help it.

They were made multiple ways. I have about a hundred CX-40s and most are 1.5m, but a significant amount are 2m. 

I tried using the Archer joystick on the 2600+ and it kind of works.  You can move the character on screen but the 2 fire buttons don't work.  I might have to use the Mega 7800 adapter.  Even though that's for Sega controllers.  But it should allow the Archer joystick to work.  I'd have to test it using the adapter and report back on it.

I did test the Archer joystick on the 7800 and it works fine.  Both fire buttons work.  What's cool about the Archer joystick is the auto fire switch.  With that turned on it fires automatically in a shooting game.  No need to hold the buttons down which is good.

Edited by Intellivision Master

9 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

I tried using the Archer joystick on the 2600+ and it kind of works.  You can move the character on screen but the 2 fire buttons don't work.  I might have to use the Mega 7800 adapter.  Even though that's for Sega controllers.  But it should allow the Archer joystick to work.  I'd have to test it using the adapter and report back on it.

I did test the Archer joystick on the 7800 and it works fine.  Both fire buttons work.  What's cool about the Archer joystick is the auto fire switch.  With that turned on it fires automatically in a shooting game.  No need to hold the buttons down which is good.

I converted my Archer to a 7800 compatible.  I did forgo the autofire, though.  I never used it, so I didn't miss it.  It makes a nice 7800 stick.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 11:50 AM, Intellivision Master said:

I ordered a couple of these. The dual stick one to play robotron and spy hunter and stargate and raiders and all games that make use of 2 controllers. And a 7800 one for everything else.

They're great. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2024 at 7:53 AM, Intellivision Master said:

I tried using the Archer joystick again on the 2600+.  Now the buttons work.  They didn't when I first used the controller.  Not sure what happened to make the buttons work all of a sudden.  I'm glad they do though.  I was going to use the 7800 adapter but I didn't need to.

Error exists in the chair-to-controller interface prolly. 

• Like 1