IGNORED

[LynxJam'23] A new adventure of Leaf // need some help

Fadest

Leaf, as a princess Elf is in trouble again...

With help of grandma, a powerful magician and Ether, she must go through some levels of puzzle platformer.

Right now, the ROM only has the 4 tutorial levels (easy) and 1 complete level (not so easy I guess).

Making levels and balancing them is harder than I thought, so I'd like some feedback on the "real" level. Is it too hard, too easy, boring ?

Note that in the final game, Leaf will only be able to user her teleport ability a limited number of time (4 in this level) while it is not limited right now, there is also no option to restart the level if you get stuck (if so, I like a picture of the current map and main screen so I can analyse - I tried to avoid this to happen, but with the slide effect + the inability to switch character in the darkness, it may occurs)

Once the level is complete, the screen remains yellow, this is normal, no title or end screen yet (and no music also).

Thanks you for your help.

lj23_fadest.o

• Like 6

Interesting! I like the objective-based gameplay to clear each screen. I seem to be stuck here with the third challenge. I am stuck with no way to restart this challenge; I can only reboot the entire game. I did figure out how to beat it, but there shouldn't be a way to get stuck without a way to restart the challenge.

image.png.2dd76ff79bfb89831762a64adbd51092.png 

Other suggestions:

You should have a way to display the instructions again. The screen disappears really fast and I had to reboot a couple of times just to read what I was supposed to do.

Maybe have Opt 1 display the map view? That would keep A and B free for in-game purposes, whereas Opt 1 to view the map is OK since you're not doing it all the time.

Edited by Songbird
  • Like 1

Overall, this demo doesn't seem too hard. It may take a couple of tries to get it right, especially in rooms where you can die. But players will learn quickly how to avoid death. :)

I'd say it's a reasonable difficulty for a starter level, with the expectation that levels will get more complex over time.

• Like 1

Oh, I see what happened, will remove the trap (it is a false good idea, if player do not get bottle and fill it, it lead to a dead end issue.

All the quality of life options (restarting a level, redisplaying objective, emptying a bottle...) are not set already.

Starting with level 4 (last part of the tutorial), you will discover that the map is the central element of the gameplay, and you will have to display it quite often.

And level 5 is quite more complex, maybe too much ? I don't know.

It will be in the LynxJam release for sure, but maybe not as level 5 but a higher one (there should 8 or 9 levels, including tutorials)

• Like 2