IGNORED

Modern or Classic VCS Controller Issues (Various)

jdzuber1

On the second day with the VCS, and starting to wonder about my purchase. Started up the unit with the modern controller plugged in and the sign in screen came up with my account ready, but when I press the A button, nothing happens. I tried every button, but still nothing. Hit enter on my keyboard, and it signs me in. I turn off the keyboard, and power cycle the VCS, and it again does not appear to notice any input on the controller. I unplug the controller and receive a message at the top of the screen that the modern controller is disconnected. I re-plug in the controller and receive a message it is connected, but the unit is still not receiving any input. I wash and repeat the power cycle to no avail. Anyone encounter this and can provide any insight?

Edited by justclaws
adjusted title, to merge related issues

Unsure what X-input means. I just thought of something that happened yesterday: I had gone into the calibrate controller screen and everything seemed to freeze up on me, so I turned off the unit. Could that have confused the modern controller?

After doing an Internet search for how to wirelessly pair a controller to the VCS, I turned on the unit, and saw the Bluetooth icon flashing in the bottom left of the screen. I attempted holding the Fuji icon on the modern controller, but nothing happened. I then attempted the same on the modern controller, and it quickly paired.

Edited by jdzuber1

15 hours ago, jdzuber1 said:

On the second day with the VCS, and starting to wonder about my purchase. Started up the unit with the modern controller plugged in and the sign in screen came up with my account ready, but when I press the A button, nothing happens. I tried every button, but still nothing. Hit enter on my keyboard, and it signs me in. I turn off the keyboard, and power cycle the VCS, and it again does not appear to notice any input on the controller. I unplug the controller and receive a message at the top of the screen that the modern controller is disconnected. I re-plug in the controller and receive a message it is connected, but the unit is still not receiving any input. I wash and repeat the power cycle to no avail. Anyone encounter this and can provide any insight?

Sometimes the modern controller takes some time to pair on the login screen.     I usually press the Atari button on the controller when the Asteroid screen apprears to give it a head start.

7 hours ago, zzip said:

Sometimes the modern controller takes some time to pair on the login screen.     I usually press the Atari button on the controller when the Asteroid screen apprears to give it a head start.

Sometimes even that's too late. I press it right after I press the power button on the console. 😂

Is it possible the controller could be faulty or as someone already said, if its connected to the Atari VCS 800 via USB cable then stuck in the mode for PC/Xbox use? I've never encountered any problems recently with my Atari VCS 800 modern or classic controllers. A few days ago i powered on my Atari VCS in the main room and had to grab some food from the kitchen and i ended up taking the modern controller with me not thinking but the thing paired to the VCS no problem from another part of the house 🤣. I remember a few years ago i couldn't even connect the controller wirelessly when sitting next to the console never mind from another room but over time the updates cured the majority of my controller issues. Its easy to get frustrated and blame the Atari VCS for everything but lots of things can cause a controller to not connect, it doesn't always need to be the console itself that's at fault and a bad purchase user error can play a big part in things not working.

10 hours ago, zzip said:

When I power on a game controller under PC mode, it pairs instantly, I don't understand why it takes so long under Atari OS..

Yeah, it's weird. I turned my console on earlier on Atari OS, and immediately turned on my classic joystick. I still had to wait at least 15 to 20 seconds for it to connect on the login screen.

There was something wrong after I used the controller calibration. Using the classic controller, I was able to navigate back to that screen and went through the process again, and it seemed to work when it was wired to the VCS—I had the classic joystick paired through Bluetooth at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

When you press the "Fuji" button to pair it, is the button flashing once every second or is it flashing faster than that?  If it is flashing about once per second then it is not in pairing mode and you will need to hold the button down longer to get it to flash quicker.  I think you need to hold it for 5-7 seconds to enter paining mode.

17 hours ago, joeatari1 said:

When you press the "Fuji" button to pair it, is the button flashing once every second or is it flashing faster than that?  If it is flashing about once per second then it is not in pairing mode and you will need to hold the button down longer to get it to flash quicker.  I think you need to hold it for 5-7 seconds to enter paining mode.

It is the slow flashing. When I try to hold in the Fuji, it only turns it off, it never does the quick flashing.