IGNORED

3D in jagstudio

Deadend85

On 12/8/2023 at 7:29 AM, Deadend85 said:

I am new to coding for consoles and new to using this api, i have a question. How can i make 3D shapes, i have a formula already for drawing lines, i just dont know how to send it to the gpu or display it

Maybe you should first read the documentation to understand what kind of machine you are trying to code.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 42bs said:

Maybe you should first read the documentation to understand what kind of machine you are trying to code.

Well I have and im using C where the documentation "Jaguar Technical Reference Manual Tom & Jerry" it specifically says thats its designed for Assembly, I have looked at at the reference projects and i do not understand the functions used so i try to look through the reference manual for Jagstudio and Raptor API and they dont have documentation for the functions or the documentation doesnt really say how its said.

The GPU doesn't do 3D. It has a few features that can help with rasterizing, but it can't even draw a simple flat-color triangle by itself. You need a complete 3D engine, which JagStudio doesn't provide.

If you want to get started with JagStudio and Jaguar coding in general, 3D is definitely not what you should start with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zerosquare said:

The GPU doesn't do 3D. It has a few features that can help with rasterizing, but it can't even draw a simple flat-color triangle by itself. You need a complete 3D engine, which JagStudio doesn't provide.

If you want to get started with JagStudio and Jaguar coding in general, 3D is definitely not what you should start with.

The Blitter draws Triangles. The GPU calculates them.

36 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

The Blitter draws Triangles. The GPU calculates them.

To be more a "Korinthenkacker": The Blitter draws the lines which form the triangle. Or any other polygon ;-)

(At least with all my experimenting, I did not find a way to make the Blitter draw a triangle.)

The Lynx' Suzy can really "draw" triangles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 42bs said:

To be more a "Korinthenkacker": The Blitter draws the lines which form the triangle. Or any other polygon ;-)

(At least with all my experimenting, I did not find a way to make the Blitter draw a triangle.)

The Lynx' Suzy can really "draw" triangles.

Actually Leonardo did not paint the Mona Lisa.

What, why?

He painted colors and shapes  that look like the Mona Lisa. 

Ok pal...

;) Your Statement does not contradict mine. 

Edited by agradeneu

the Jaguar was not created to handle 3D

if you want to do 3D, you must do it like an atari STE would do

the blitter does not even have the fill function of the Amiga

so no, the blitter is only able to draw lines, either in all angles, or horizontal lines to fill some 3D planes, under the control of the GPU

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

Actually Leonardo did not paint the Mona Lisa.

What, why?

He painted colors and shapes  that look like the Mona Lisa. 

Ok pal...

;) Your Statement does not contradict mine.

When I saw "Leonardo" I actually read "Leonard", and thought, yes right Leonard did not draw 3D, only plain polys 🙂 (STNICCC2000)

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Ericde45 said:

so no, the blitter is only able to draw lines, either in all angles, or horizontal lines to fill some 3D planes, under the control of the GPU

As intended by Design. 

Unlike the Amiga, Jaguar was designed to draw polygon gfx a lot faster.

Edited by agradeneu

2 minutes ago, Ericde45 said:

no, that explains why jagstudio has no 3D engine, because the Jaguar iself has no 3D engine in its 

It does not have an hw 2D engine either, otherwise, why bother with Jagstudio?!

The reason is simple, it does not feature an 3D library, CJ did not write one, hence nothing to do with the Jaguar itself. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ericde45 said:

did you ever code anything on Jaguar ?

if not, stop saying that nonsence about 3D and Jaguar

you can do 3D on a ZX81 but this is not 

You did not Design the Jag either.

And Jalaga is not exactly 3D. Does it use the built in 2D engine? Must be easy then lol.