IGNORED

Atari 800 and C64 games that should be ported to the 7800

Stechmann

Now with the 2600+ out which has 7800 compatibility, it would be great to see some more classic games ported to the 7800 platform!

Games I would love to see:

Boulder Dash

Montezuma's Revenge

Fort Apocalypse

O'Rileys Mine

Mancopter

Pooyan

Goonies

Bruce Lee

Jumpman

Edited by Stechmann

C64 multi-color backgrounds and sprites convert very well to the 7800. For example Millie & Molly very much uses all the original c64 images except for some color differences and the backgrounds which were single-color (320 instead of 160) so an approximation was done for those.

image.thumb.png.a12d50e6fa2c2453db6ec5d06e8a6c15.png

• Like 8

A

2 hours ago, mimo said:

Get coding 😁

I am not that great a coder unfortunately.

An alternative would be if Atari were to make a new console that plays XEGS/A800 cartridges. Or add that to a future iteration of the 2600+

In that case the list would boil down to just Mancopter, which is a really sweet Datasoft game that for some reason was never ported to any of the Ataris.

Edited by Stechmann

1 minute ago, Stechmann said:

A

I am not that great a coder unfortunately.

An alternative would be if Atari were to make a console with a slot for XEGS/A800 cartridges, and emulator.

In that case the list would boil down to just Mancopter, which is a really sweet Datasoft game which for some reason was never ported for any of the Ataris.

:ponder:

2 minutes ago, Stechmann said:

An alternative would be if Atari were to make a console with a slot for XEGS/A800 cartridges...

TA-

image.png.4d7d83d81ca0919f86079bf8a80cb1eb.png

7 minutes ago, Stechmann said:

...and emulator.

DA!

https://www.virtualdub.org/altirra.html

:-D

12 minutes ago, Stechmann said:

In that case the list would boil down to just Mancopter, which is a really sweet Datasoft game which for some reason was never ported for any of the Ataris.

An alternative response can be found here. ;)

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Stechmann said:

Pharao's Curse

i realise there are too many great A8 games and it probably is too much effort to port them all.

so we need an XEGS equivalent of the 2600+ 

an we need it NOW because my kids will not be kids forever! are you listening Atari??

Wonderful... they should have a place for: "Send us your ideas, questions, and favorite Atari memories."

• Like 2

It occurred to me that Atari could perhaps add the Altirra emulator to the 2600+ firmware. Shouldnt be all that difficult.

From there on, it would be only a question of how to load the actual games.

Maybe a cartridge port adapter is feasible?

Maybe an updated Dragonfly cartridge that sideloads XEGS/A8 ROMs?

Edited by Stechmann

8 hours ago, Stechmann said:

It occurred to me that Atari could perhaps add the Altirra emulator to the 2600+ firmware. Shouldnt be all that difficult.

From there on, it would be only a question of how to load the actual games.

Maybe a cartridge port adapter is feasible?

Maybe an updated Dragonfly cartridge that sideloads XEGS/A8 ROMs?

I don't think they should stop there, maybe add a transputer core and emulate a TT emulating an ST so we can play Oids? (:D) (Joking of course!)

8 hours ago, Stechmann said:

Altirra is not open-source, it has a mouse-driven user interface that is not a good match for a console system like the 2600+.  it's also Windows-only, and since the 2600+ has an ARM CPU, not even WINE would be enough to get it running there.   The developer would have to get involved creating special builds for Atari/Plaion

atari800 would be a better choice of emulator here,  but since Atari doesn't even support that on the VCS where they could sell Atari 8-bit games in the online store,  I don't know why they'd do that for the 2600+ where loading the games is more difficult.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2023 at 3:30 PM, Muddyfunster said:

I don't think they should stop there, maybe add a transputer core and emulate a TT emulating an ST so we can play Oids? (:D) (Joking of course!)

jokes aside, i looked at the hardware specs of the ARM system that is inside the 2600+ and i looks pretty powerful. it could perhaps emulate a Jaguar

On 12/13/2023 at 3:50 PM, zzip said:

Altirra is not open-source, it has a mouse-driven user interface that is not a good match for a console system like the 2600+.  it's also Windows-only, and since the 2600+ has an ARM CPU, not even WINE would be enough to get it running there.   The developer would have to get involved creating special builds for Atari/Plaion

atari800 would be a better choice of emulator here,  but since Atari doesn't even support that on the VCS where they could sell Atari 8-bit games in the online store,  I don't know why they'd do that for the 2600+ where loading the games is more difficult.

thanks for the info. a800 emulator sounds fine. maybe Atari will add it if they see consumer demand. thats what this thread is about i guess. getting those sweet A8 games on modern hardware, one way or another

Edited by Stechmann