IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

On 7/7/2024 at 10:45 PM, 8bitwidgets.com said:

Also if you don't want to buy a new controller and use your CX-40+ controllers try my coupler. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115705572856

s-l1600-1.thumb.webp.c21779b0e47eb747cedc43d16bc2c3d7.webp

s-l1600.thumb.webp.33bcb6550f14a3f204c9c64951abddf0.webp

You can buy with confidence. I’ve purchased this controller holder (and a couple of others from 8bitwidgets) and highly recommend it. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

It really isn't. I was just gonna edit the above post, but I will add the screenshots here. Taken on my laptop, I set the pallete to Standard for the NTSC and Z26 for the PAL, so as they are currently emulated on the 2600 Plus.

NTSC (Standard Palette)

NTSCSTANDARD.thumb.png.9a52692e860902c560c1923ff6bf7050.png

PAL (Z26 Palette)

PALZ26.thumb.png.d216547609ebdf46cc6f6b8689582b44.png

I will post a comparison like this when my new PAL game arrives, hopefully this week. It's one I don't own any copy of.

Very similar.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

20240713_144926.thumb.jpg.8a1434170ada84556828201c0aa271c0.jpg

This arrived today.   It's a good shooter.  It has auto fire which is nice.  I've played the ROM.  Now I have the cart.  

I lost out on a CIB copy of this game on auction. Definitely getting this one. Looks like a Space Invaders clone with a Submarine and battleships.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, shane857 said:

I lost out on a CIB copy of this game on auction. Definitely getting this one. Looks like a Space Invaders clone with a Submarine and battleships.

Sorry to hear that.  You would like this game.  It's challenging.  In the game you play a battleship shooting at other ships and such.  At first I thought there was a sub but there isn't.  It would have been neat if there was an alternate game mode where you play as a sub.

Here's the manual if you're interested:

https://atariage.com/manual_html_page.php?SoftwareID=1131

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

Sorry to hear that.  You would like this game.  It's challenging.  In the game you play a battleship shooting at other ships and such.  At first I thought there was a sub but there isn't.  It would have been neat if there was an alternate game mode where you play as a sub.

Here's the manual if you're interested:

https://atariage.com/manual_html_page.php?SoftwareID=1131

I don’t have a physical copy of this game. It’s an interesting one and takes a bit of time to get used to. When you fire a torpedo, it moves in the opposite direction of your ship (unless you’re standing still, then they go straight). For the nighttime levels, you may need to turn up the brightness on your tv, if you can’t see the enemies shots coming towards you. You should be able to see them. 

Nice cart 👍

• Like 3

On 7/13/2024 at 2:50 AM, CPUWIZ said:

You can apply your own label, that takes time and money, you should see how much ink costs these days! :P

I can also offer a small flat rate box full of mystery games for a few bucks, time spent and all. ;)

IMG_7363.jpg

if they're NTSC i will definetly try some mystery games. let me get back to you later.

6 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Today's pickups.  I had Joust 7800, but I'm not sure I don't like 2600 version a little better.  Both good ports anyway.  And adding to my PB collection.

20240715_154440-Copy.thumb.jpg.a7666b56800a7a1051d707c1884f6105.jpg

I was wondering about that. If I had the 2600 version of something, would I bother with the 7800 version.,.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lucy willis said:

I was wondering about that. If I had the 2600 version of something, would I bother with the 7800 version.,.

I guess it depends.  The 7800 library is kinda small and focuses on a lot of overlapping arcade ports with the 2600.

For things like Donkey Kong and DK Jr. the 7800 just blows the old Coleco ports away, if you want to play something resembling the actual game and not just relive any nostalgia you have for the 2600's fairly lousy ports.

For stuff like Centipede and Asteroids, the 2600 originals are too iconic to not have.  The 7800 versions are perfectly fine and even popular for the own reasons (2-player 7800 Centipede).

Other games the versions are just different, or different enough it may be worth having both (Ms. Pac-Man, Mario Bros, both Pole Position games) while other ports are very close (Dig Dug, Joust, Pete Rose Baseball).  And then a couple arcade ports may be exclusive to 7800 during the original era, like Galaga or Robotron.

Anyhow, in most cases I'm ending up with both versions either way and I don't really mind.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

I guess it depends.  The 7800 library is kinda small and focuses on a lot of overlapping arcade ports with the 2600.

For things like Donkey Kong and DK Jr. the 7800 just blows the old Coleco ports away, if you want to play something resembling the actual game and not just relive any nostalgia you have for the 2600's fairly lousy ports.

For stuff like Centipede and Asteroids, the 2600 originals are too iconic to not have.  The 7800 versions are perfectly fine and even popular for the own reasons (2-player 7800 Centipede).

Other games the versions are just different, or different enough it may be worth having both (Ms. Pac-Man, Mario Bros, both Pole Position games) while other ports are very close (Dig Dug, Joust, Pete Rose Baseball).  And then a couple arcade ports may be exclusive to 7800 during the original era, like Galaga or Robotron.

Anyhow, in most cases I'm ending up with both versions either way and I don't really mind.

I like having both versions. And the 2600 versions of joust is awesome! Great port! I don’t have Frogger II though.

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 2

On 7/14/2024 at 2:30 PM, Alex_813 said:

This guy came yesterday. I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

20240713_171802.jpg

Front Line, I remember it like it was yesterday. It was 1982 or was it 1987 IDK. The jungle was hot that day my friends. It was so quiet you could hear a can drop or is it a pin IDK. I stepped on a twig, it made a loud snap! Then all hell broke loose! Bullets whizzing this way and that way! I was lobbing grenades everywhere! I hopped in a tank nothing could stop me now!

I had this game for the Colecovision, one of my favorites! You had to use the Super Action Controller. I also played it in the arcades.

I don’t have the 2600 version let me know how it is. I’ll have to add this one to my list.

IMG_1191.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrChickenz said:

Front Line, I remember it like it was yesterday. It was 1982 or was it 1987 IDK. The jungle was hot that day my friends. It was so quiet you could hear a can drop or is it a pin IDK. I stepped on a twig, it made a loud snap! Then all hell broke loose! Bullets whizzing this way and that way! I was lobbing grenades everywhere! I hopped in a tank nothing could stop me now!

I had this game for the Colecovision, one of my favorites! You had to use the Super Action Controller. I also played it in the arcades.

I don’t have the 2600 version let me know how it is. I’ll have to add this one to my list.

IMG_1191.jpeg

It's a fun port. I've only played the arcade version before. I got through the first level after 4 attempts. Level 2 gets faster and more challenging. 

20240715_232924.jpg

20240715_232901.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After picking up 18 carts for $60 / £50 on fleabay, with the exception of 4 or 5, in a bit of a rough state.

Included HERO, Kung Fu Master, Battlezone, Phoenix and a few Parker Bros and Activision. Gave them a good clean and pretty much all failed to load. Gave them a good clean again, but instead of ramming the carts into the 2600+ slot, pushed them in gently so as not to force them right down, all worked like a charm! Seems most carts are quite loose in the slot, the Parker and Atari ones are snug though.

Grabbing some replica labels and a cart holder for a few quid. Proper happy!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, acidbottle said:

After picking up 18 carts for $60 / £50 on fleabay, with the exception of 4 or 5, in a bit of a rough state.

Included HERO, Kung Fu Master, Battlezone, Phoenix and a few Parker Bros and Activision. Gave them a good clean and pretty much all failed to load. Gave them a good clean again, but instead of ramming the carts into the 2600+ slot, pushed them in gently so as not to force them right down, all worked like a charm! Seems most carts are quite loose in the slot, the Parker and Atari ones are snug though.

That's a good deal you got there.  Sometimes after inserting the cart, you have to pull it back out a little for the console to detect the cart.  I've run into this issue with some of my carts.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Well in the "that was so long ago I completely forgot about it" dept, my copy of Outlaw - Limited Edition has shipped.  Kinda surprised I bought it.  Maybe it was the art.

I'm waiting on the Billy Butcher box.  I inquired when they released that email saying Outlaw and MRaJ would ship, and they said another 60 days!  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, acidbottle said:

You made out real good! HERO alone is worth that, not to mention all the other ones you picked up with it! Very Nice!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

That's a good deal you got there.  Sometimes after inserting the cart, you have to pull it back out a little for the console to detect the cart.  I've run into this issue with some of my carts.  

That seems to be the trick for activision carts. insert, then slightly move back, or don't insert all the way, then they read better. 

I definately like some 2600 games over the 7800 versions. Not sure about Joust, as I had the 7800 version as a kid, but I def appreciate 2600 centipede over the 7800 version. ms pac man is another one where it's kinda special on 2600. 

On the other hand, space invaders 7800 is incredible, as is asteroids deluxe. But I agree that the 2600 versions are "their own thing". 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

Look at this beauty!

I already owned a PAL red label and an NTSC silver label, but when I saw this one at only £12 I thought, why not?

I actually saw it when it was newly listed on eBay and waited overnight, thinking it would be snapped up by someone for sure, good, I already two copies, let someone else enjoy it... But no-one did. 🤷🏻 So when it was still available it seemed it was just destined to be mine.

I don't really collect different label types (ok, there may have been an exception or two) but I just had to at this price. 🤟🏻

IMG_20240716_183154.thumb.jpg.b5ae09cf187c8116607e39ac6b0b8479.jpg

IMG_20240716_183218.thumb.jpg.9489dd25e228909daa99bd73e94b0d27.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Yeah the original 2600 Plus teaches you to have a good pull out game. Erm, no, that's something else. 😳🤣

The updated slot is absolutely flawless. No pull out required. 😋

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Look at this beauty!

I already owned a PAL red label and an NTSC silver label, but when I saw this one at only £12 I thought, why not?

I actually saw it when it was newly listed on eBay and waited overnight, thinking it would be snapped up by someone for sure, good, I already two copies, let someone else enjoy it... But no-one did. 🤷🏻 So when it was still available it seemed it was just destined to be mine.

I don't really collect different label types (ok, there may have been an exception or two) but I just had to at this price. 🤟🏻

IMG_20240716_183154.thumb.jpg.b5ae09cf187c8116607e39ac6b0b8479.jpg

IMG_20240716_183218.thumb.jpg.9489dd25e228909daa99bd73e94b0d27.jpg

Noice.  You found my sibling.

20231212_133615-Copy2.thumb.jpg.097a7e1f82c2926df87d1672ea40dcbb.jpg

• Haha 1

My friend sent me her husbands 7800 and their collective collection of 7800/5200/2600 games, including a really nice condition copy of Commando Raid, a copy of Winter Games for 2600, Mario Bros and Pole Position for 7800, Vanguard for 2600, and 1 5200 game in the form of Keystone Kapers, my 7800 does not have hookups or anything sadly but it looks fairly decent, lacks the expansion port sadly but i can't wait to expand more into the 7800 world thanks to Atari's 2600+ and their continued support of legacy hardware and now i have my own 7800 to explore even more of that console's library!

I want to shout out my friends son, he could've kept the 7800 but he wanted me to have it so bless him. Also he's looking for a CRT TV iirc. NGL i gotta hang out with him, seems like a cool dude.

• Like 1