IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

I have now completed the Konami published Atari 2600 trilogy* with my latest purchase, Pooyan! The trilogy being Pooyan, Strategy X and Marine Wars.

It’s in lovely condition too, and I like the unusual shape of these carts.

IMG_20240718_211546.thumb.jpg.1f001573ac68e9d19f672097a29b67b8.jpg

IMG_20240718_211526.thumb.jpg.4a6847ff8b927314734fcdc753432ded.jpg

This is the PAL version, and it’s an interesting one. Yes, it has a squashed screen, but they have disguised it well, as instead of just having black bars at the top and bottom they extended the colours instead. I would obviously rather have full size graphics but this technique feels less jarring and is not as noticeable outside of side by side comparisons with the NTSC version. I have also seen Activision employ this method with Frostbite and Private Eye, Acti also moved some of the HUD upwards a little too to make it less obvious.

Palettes as per the current 2600 Plus config.

Here’s the PAL version in Stella (Z26 Palette):

PooyanPALZ26.thumb.png.5e85abfe8710572f0593fbe4bca1c6b2.png

And here’s the NTSC version in Stella (Standard Palette):

PooyanNTSCStandard.thumb.png.b0411e64f1e5b47a40de84dc678563fe.png

PooyanPALZ26.thumb.png.5e85abfe8710572f0593fbe4bca1c6b2.pngPooyanNTSCStandard.thumb.png.b0411e64f1e5b47a40de84dc678563fe.png

Clearly superior on the NTSC cart, but some good trickery going on there.

I find these differences interesting, but I am clearly a nerd! 💁🏻🤓

EDIT: Strategy X and Marine Wars are also quite interesting when you compare the PAL and NTSC versions, well, I think so. I can share, if anyone else is interested?

Came across this when I was testing the 2600+ in an archive. I was like hey check it out a Konami game.

Did you get it in the box because that was as unique as the cart shape.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Came across this when I was testing the 2600+ in an archive. I was like hey check it out a Konami game.

Did you get it in the box because that was as unique as the cart shape.

Sadly no, there's one for sale on eBay right now, and I was tempted.  My house is rapidly filling up though, some stuff needs to go I think! 

They are very cool. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Here is Strategy X. Konami have employed the 'fill the screen with colour technique' again.

Palettes as per the current 2600 Plus config.

STRATXPALZ26.thumb.png.6c46f19a361e1d48e8396995c0d890a0.png

STRATXNTSCSTANDARD.thumb.png.8976e44067dc6c3338cebe1497b8168f.png

STRATXPALZ26.thumb.png.6c46f19a361e1d48e8396995c0d890a0.pngSTRATXNTSCSTANDARD.thumb.png.8976e44067dc6c3338cebe1497b8168f.png

Yes, a squished PAL version, but again they made an effort to make it less obvious. Which colours do you like best? I think Pooyan was a PAL colour win, here I’d say that I prefer the NTSC version.

Take a look at Marine Wars. This is the most interesting of the three games, well, with regards to the choices with the graphics.

MarineWarsPALZ26.thumb.png.7587e54d28cfd3351e41a843f4189148.png

MarineWarsNTSCStandard.thumb.png.d287b5caf6fe081c538b9162fd844e69.png

MarineWarsPALZ26.thumb.png.7587e54d28cfd3351e41a843f4189148.pngMarineWarsNTSCStandard.thumb.png.d287b5caf6fe081c538b9162fd844e69.png

They didn’t employ the 'fill the screen with colour technique' here, in either version, both versions have ugly black borders. The PAL one has an odd shifted upwards position, but strangely fills more of the screen than the NTSC cart. When you look at the actual play area the NTSC version is larger though, so more trickery here, well done to Konami, with all three games actually.

With regards to the colours I prefer the PAL one for everything other than the violet sea, I am not sure why they didn’t use a more suitable shade of blue, the NTSC sea could have been better too. Perhaps this is an emulation thing and neither are the true colours? Who knows?! Another odd choice at he top of the screen too, perhaps the dev was high. Other than the sea I find the PAL version less garish overall.

Note that I haven’t touched on game speed differences here, just the colours and the screen size.

That's enough nerdiness for today, I hope you enjoyed the show. :)

Strategy X was released as Quelle Landungskommando, thats the one I have and I like it, not looking for the original NTSC game in this case.

https://www.atarimania.com/game-landungskommando_s10820.html

I like the NTSC version of Marine Wars and would like to get this one but it is expensive...

In Europe often the PAL version is sold you need to have a close look (Gakken = PAL  Konami = NTSC?)

From Konami I've got Pooyan PAL and like it.

I used to have Ente und der Wolf PAL but sold it... that were the times when I wanted only the best PAL Version...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Strategy X was released as Quelle Landungskommando, thats the one I have and I like it, not looking for the original NTSC game in this case.

https://www.atarimania.com/game-landungskommando_s10820.html

I like the NTSC version of Marine Wars and would like to get this one but it is expensive...

In Europe often the PAL version is sold you need to have a close look (Gakken = PAL  Konami = NTSC?)

From Konami I've got Pooyan PAL and like it.

I used to have Ente und der Wolf PAL but sold it... that were the times when I wanted only the best PAL Version...

I enjoy the Quelle bootlegs. The colours look interesting on this one too. 

My Strategy X is NTSC, Pooyan and Marine Wars are both PAL. Although I almost always prefer NTSC versions, I'm quite happy with these Konami games. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

once the seller learns about the 2600+, prices will double🤫

5 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

That’s what I was thinking. I see PAL versions that have lower prices. You are right about that!

I know... i know... i talk ikari all the time but... its my favorite 7800 game, and you ever see your favorite game is not affordable and you cant add it to your collection? Its like that trope that i dont know the origin of where someone walks in a city and they're just reminded of the same thing over and over again on neon signs...

Ikari warriors is illuminating everywhere, i want to own as many of the home versions as i can but the very faithful 7800 version is beyond my own reach, and all i say is...

If Atari can get Ikari again... they can port Metal Slug probably... and also uhhh i might try to find my Wii U just to hopefully make my odds of trading for it more likely.

3 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Sadly no, there's one for sale on eBay right now, and I was tempted.  My house is rapidly filling up though, some stuff needs to go I think! 

They are very cool. 

Oh yeah, i get that...

2 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Today, in the vein of Starmaster/Star Raiders, this very clean picture label copy of Star Voyager.  And my new high score book.

20240719_144716-Copy.thumb.jpg.dba9614ac4708f1daa847ad576352f65.jpg

i reckon i should get a scrap book for everything, mayhaps i get a polaroid and try to take a pic of the most noteworthy HS

16 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

i reckon i should get a scrap book for everything, mayhaps i get a polaroid and try to take a pic of the most noteworthy HS

Whenever I play Secret Quest, I take a picture of the password code with my phone cam. Easier than trying to draw all the strange symbols.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2024 at 2:22 AM, Maztr_0n said:

I know... i know... i talk ikari all the time but... its my favorite 7800 game, and you ever see your favorite game is not affordable and you cant add it to your collection? Its like that trope that i dont know the origin of where someone walks in a city and they're just reminded of the same thing over and over again on neon signs...

Ikari warriors is illuminating everywhere, i want to own as many of the home versions as i can but the very faithful 7800 version is beyond my own reach, and all i say is...

If Atari can get Ikari again... they can port Metal Slug probably... and also uhhh i might try to find my Wii U just to hopefully make my odds of trading for it more likely.

Seems like you're on a mission to get Ikari for the 7800. 😂 The game seems more available here in the UK

There's this copy. I expect it's PAL region thou it's sealed. Not sure if he ships to the US thou? Guess it would be quite expensive...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284293878953?itmmeta=01J38B0YJSR0H9EHD156WZ5TMN&hash=item42313c54a9:g:7AQAAOSwly1gnjCe&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA8IFpiGp9J%2FLHxtGmHc1Of6yZtUjZm5lRAxJdfxooAxy6X%2BllQOkVRO2ud3gIMaX%2FnVzbAAtJDBXQAH3xJMhdABfnCX4HVkYAhnyGFPflpMkpPBkkp%2FDovm9BECGbGZwRT8gcc8jywREkOlAwFqONob0vNoDHgLihUvMq26P6IejJQuHexV5lWSpgBXHabYI0KBzrTe4t7wiAjw1MNN7l31YswS4TltkvKoAn46wxYBzUvSP0pkbFa71XTp7SFmoiq3Dpfr81x3E%2BVv%2F2ZpcCY2Fm%2FbWzKm8gnRhUY8jDUeyh7DG3HP1lVJSAmcbdFVT7Dg%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR7zpg4uaZA

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shane857 said:

I am very much on that mission, and it sucks that. You cannot tell if a sealed game is pal or not until you pop it open... i'm saving up as much as i can and i'll probably have to trade like mad to get a good deal. But yeah, thank you... i'm on the mission to obtain the mission to save colonel cook and go to the village of ikari

• Like 2

4 hours ago, shane857 said:

🤣

I made offers on this one in the last week, I'm not paying £70. Obviously they were not accepted. Ah well. 🤷🏻

I just won a loose PAL cart today, overpriced yeah, but half this amount. Looking forward to trying it out, I don't buy many 7800 games. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Maztr_0n said:

I am very much on that mission, and it sucks that. You cannot tell if a sealed game is pal or not until you pop it open... i'm saving up as much as i can and i'll probably have to trade like mad to get a good deal. But yeah, thank you... i'm on the mission to obtain the mission to save colonel cook and go to the village of ikari

You can only tell, usually if it's PAL by a P sticker usually on the back of the cart. Hope that helps...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

🤣

I made offers on this one in the last week, I'm not paying £70. Obviously they were not accepted. Ah well. 🤷🏻

I just won a loose PAL cart today, overpriced yeah, but half this amount. Looking forward to trying it out, I don't buy many 7800 games. 

With most 7800 games, you can get buy without a manual anyway. MRTFM 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, shane857 said:

You can only tell, usually if it's PAL by a P sticker usually on the back of the cart. Hope that helps...

I do know that, but the issue is Ikari is usually found sealed or graded, rarely loose and as far as i know, no kind of sticker on the actual box which seems weird, i'm not sure what it was like back then but i'm sure if it was worth putting the sticker on the cartridge you'd put something on the box, ah well i appreciate it still. :)

I figure if it ever lists in North America and doesnt say whether or not its an import or whatever and i can get it for a "good" price, i think i'll take that chance, less amybody sees like some german auction thats labellee NTSC, in that case lmk i need to take Ralph and Clark out of retirement.