IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

20 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Saw this on fleebay what the #@$& is this? Not sure how well it works. It’s different though!

Atari 2600 Homebrew Player cartridge on socket support to be able to put your eproms without any welding on the support.

Also compatible with the new atari 2600 + provided that the rom is compatible.

Allows you to make your own cartridges by programming eproms of type 2732 only.

Allows you to launch games /homebrews, etc... that have a size of up to 4Ko / 32kb

IMG_1528.jpeg

IMG_1529.jpeg

IMG_1530.jpeg

That's cool, are you getting one?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Saw this on fleebay what the #@$& is this? Not sure how well it works. It’s different though!

Atari 2600 Homebrew Player cartridge on socket support to be able to put your eproms without any welding on the support.

Also compatible with the new atari 2600 + provided that the rom is compatible.

Allows you to make your own cartridges by programming eproms of type 2732 only.

Allows you to launch games /homebrews, etc... that have a size of up to 4Ko / 32kb

IMG_1528.jpeg

IMG_1529.jpeg

IMG_1530.jpeg

That is a blank PCB with an Eprom-socket. With a Eprom programmer you can write your own Eproms and push it in the socket. This way you can make your own homebrew cartridge and you can swap the Eprom with game A for another Eprom with game B and so on. The shell is something custom, but that does not matter. You can find a lot of free cartridge shells on Thingiverse and 3d print them.

Sounds difficult,but it is not. PCBWay is loaded with these kind of cheap PCBs, small Eproms cost only a couple of cents and you can buy an Eprom programmer on Aliexpress or Amazon for around 25 Dollars. I made hundreds of Atari 8-bit homebrew cartridges this way😉

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

That is a blank PCB with an Eprom-socket. With a Eprom programmer you can write your own Eproms and push it in the socket. This way you can make your own homebrew cartridge and you can swap the Eprom with game A for another Eprom with game B and so on. The shell is something custom, but that does not matter. You can find a lot of free cartridge shells on Thingiverse and 3d print them.

Sounds difficult,but it is not. PCBWay is loaded with these kind of cheap PCBs, small Eproms cost only a couple of cents and you can buy an Eprom programmer on Aliexpress or Amazon for around 25 Dollars. I made hundreds of Atari 8-bit homebrew cartridges this way😉

Do you, or anyone else have a link for:

The boards

The Eproms

The programmer

Preferably a site with UK friendly postage. 😊

I'd probably make a couple of homebrew or demo carts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Do you, or anyone else have a link for:

The boards

The Eproms

The programmer

Preferably a site with UK friendly postage. 😊

I'd probably make a couple of homebrew or demo carts. 

Boards: https://www.pcbway.com/project/projectsearch?q=atari+2600+cartridge&t=1

These are various projects made by PCBWay customers.

Eproms: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33023228203.html

This is just an example, if you search Aliexpress a bit longer I am sure you can find them cheaper. Plus!!! Take a look at the projects on PCBway which Eprom is needed. The one in the link is for the first result of the PCBWay search, the 4KB cartridge for Atari 2600, which needs the 2732 Eprom. Other projects in the list use Eproms of the "27C" series, those are much cheaper.

Programmer: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32885179782.html

Wow, it is surprising to see how much the price increased in the last 2 years. I bought the predecessor of this one for a lot less. There are cheaper Eprom programmers on Aliexpress, but I am not 100% sure those are compatible with the Eproms we use for Atari cartridges.

And, don't forget, you need some basic soldering skills!

Edited by Fred_M
  • Thanks 1

At this point, I'm curious what people's wish lists are now that we have been sharing what we've purchased.  Here is my...

Personal 2600+ WISH LIST

Homebrews

Bot & Tom - I love the game play mechanics on this

Harpy's Curse - I've been playing on the VCS800 and I'm curious how the CX40 will handle it...AND..I want the map.

Space PacMan - It's an interesting concept and game play

Amoeba Jump - I remember playing "Doodle Jump" on the phone several years ago - I like the idea of using the CX40 on that.

Main Line

H.E.R.O.

Spy Hunter

Off the Wall

Froger II: Threedeep

What is on your wish list?

4 hours ago, Fred_M said:

This is what i need in my life...

I wanna program 2600 and 7800 eproms and have all my roms physically, and maybe someday sell games with eggs at a farmers market up in the upper midwest or the tundras of the arctic.

Fred tell me more

41 minutes ago, Bitsized said:

At this point, I'm curious what people's wish lists are now that we have been sharing what we've purchased.  Here is my...

Personal 2600+ WISH LIST

Homebrews

Bot & Tom - I love the game play mechanics on this

Harpy's Curse - I've been playing on the VCS800 and I'm curious how the CX40 will handle it...AND..I want the map.

Space PacMan - It's an interesting concept and game play

Amoeba Jump - I remember playing "Doodle Jump" on the phone several years ago - I like the idea of using the CX40 on that.

Main Line

H.E.R.O.

Spy Hunter

Off the Wall

Froger II: Threedeep

What is on your wish list?

Bleach Pac-Man [7800]

Halo 2600

Alien Brigade

Ikari Warriors [7800]

Commando [7800]

Robotron 2084 [7800]

Ms Pac-Man [Either]

Mean 18

Demolition Herby

Princess Rescue [2600, hope it works with the CX78+]

Tunnel Runner

Bump n Jump

Mr Run n Jump

Berzerk Enhanced Edition

It goes on and on honestly but thats the main ones i wanna get done

2 hours ago, Fred_M said:

Boards: https://www.pcbway.com/project/projectsearch?q=atari+2600+cartridge&t=1

These are various projects made by PCBWay customers.

Eproms: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33023228203.html

This is just an example, if you search Aliexpress a bit longer I am sure you can find them cheaper. Plus!!! Take a look at the projects on PCBway which Eprom is needed. The one in the link is for the first result of the PCBWay search, the 4KB cartridge for Atari 2600, which needs the 2732 Eprom. Other projects in the list use Eproms of the "27C" series, those are much cheaper.

Programmer: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32885179782.html

Wow, it is surprising to see how much the price increased in the last 2 years. I bought the predecessor of this one for a lot less. There are cheaper Eprom programmers on Aliexpress, but I am not 100% sure those are compatible with the Eproms we use for Atari cartridges.

And, don't forget, you need some basic soldering skills!

Oh thank you!

Maybe in the winter i might try these

1 hour ago, Maztr_0n said:

Oh thank you!

Maybe in the winter i might try these

Here is an example of a homebrew package I made for the Atari 8-bit computers. The game was made by a friend of mine and we designed the packaging together. So an original game and no piracy 😃 The cartridge contains a custom PCB, an Eprom chip and a Gal chip (for bankswitching). The cartridge case was downloaded from Thingiverse.

rotor2.thumb.jpg.3fcd0f897312857df9d344488ba79f61.jpg

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Fred_M said:

Here is an example of a homebrew package I made for the Atari 8-bit computers. The game was made by a friend of mine and we designed the packaging together. So an original game and no piracy 😃 The cartridge contains a custom PCB, an Eprom chip and a Gal chip (for bankswitching). The cartridge case was downloaded from Thingiverse.

rotor2.thumb.jpg.3fcd0f897312857df9d344488ba79f61.jpg

neat, i wonder how i can make my own 2600 and 7800 carts, i'd love to do so.

1 hour ago, Maztr_0n said:

neat, i wonder how i can make my own 2600 and 7800 carts, i'd love to do so.

on this i am wondering if theres a list of like, which 7800 games fall under which type of cartridge,

as seen here
http://atarihq.com/danb/7800cart/a7800cart.shtml#types

also wonder what kind of eproms you'd need for 7800.

seems more simple on the 2600 side obviously but it'd be cool to branch out if i want to make my own carts.

i'd also wonder about how to get labels made, i no longer have a working printer. Advice or anything would be great.

11 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

on this i am wondering if theres a list of like, which 7800 games fall under which type of cartridge,

as seen here
http://atarihq.com/danb/7800cart/a7800cart.shtml#types

also wonder what kind of eproms you'd need for 7800.

seems more simple on the 2600 side obviously but it'd be cool to branch out if i want to make my own carts.

i'd also wonder about how to get labels made, i no longer have a working printer. Advice or anything would be great.

7800 cartridges is much more difficult.

I never made a 7800 cartridge, I cannot find a publicly available 7800 PCB file. AtariAge normally has a service that they make a cartridge for you ( https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=950 ) but at the moment it is not available. According to this article https://www.ataricompendium.com/faq/7800_eprom_cart.pdf you can use the PCB of an existing game, but in these days cannibalizing a 7800 cartridge does not sound as a good idea.

Maybe buying a flash cartridge (Concerto, Gamedrive) would be a better idea... 😉

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1

Wish lists, no problem:

Snoopy

MASH

Frenzy 7800 boxed .. will never happen as there is no box (someone prove me wrong!)

Impossible Mission 7800

Alien

Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes

All CIB with/without instructions

Anyone offering? 😁

I think with some patience and money most of these are obtainable, though boxed 20th Century Fox ones are very rare in the UK at least.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, acidbottle said:

Wish lists, no problem:

Snoopy

MASH

Frenzy 7800 boxed .. will never happen as there is no box (someone prove me wrong!)

Impossible Mission 7800

Alien

Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes

All CIB with/without instructions

Anyone offering? 😁

I think with some patience and money most of these are obtainable, though boxed 20th Century Fox ones are very rare in the UK at least.

I've seen loose copies of M.A.S.H here in the UK on ebay. Impossible Mission 7800 is fairly common also.

Good luck getting the rest thou, you'll probably have to import them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fred_M said:

AFAIK these PCBs (Gerber files) are not available to download, but please correct me if I am wrong 😃

No, I don't participate in open source, you are correct.  All that ever happens is, someone else takes your stuff and makes money off of it.

• Sad 2

On 8/10/2024 at 3:21 PM, fairy princess said:

My wish list???

Atari video cube

Keystone kapers

Galaxian

Ms PAC man

Demons to diamonds

Mega mania 

I have a copy of Megamania complete in box for $17 plus shipping. It has a box protector included.

IMG_20240811_165937.jpg

IMG_20240811_165948.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

No, I don't participate in open source, you are correct.  All that ever happens is, someone else takes your stuff and makes money off of it.

shit, you'll dominate the repro market!

spare individual reproduction carts?

homeless-squidward.gif

1 hour ago, bent_pin said:

I have a copy of Megamania complete in box for $17 plus shipping. It has a box protector included.

IMG_20240811_165937.jpg

IMG_20240811_165948.jpg

forgot to mention my copy of gravitar came with one! unfortunately it wouldn't fit on the shelf i have in my room so i left it loose unfortunately, but my protector is kept safely in a different shelf in a different orientation for which it actually fits in.

i mean on the shelf the boxes are already perfectly snug like a book right now, its kinda flush since almost all of them are either 2600 red box or 7800 boxed games... -v-

3 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Not everyone will, but I can understand your position. I am curious why you wanted to show them?

43 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

Not everyone will, but I can understand your position. I am curious why you wanted to show them?

Well, there are thousands of homebrew's out there that use them.  Frankodragon, for instance, contacts me for boards.  I am just about to send a handful to Bob, because he is out again.

I probably misunderstood, I read "that is hard and you can't get them anywhere".

All good.

• Like 1